Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC2, SCC (oh and SCB!), week 1, in the books! :-)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC2, SCC (oh and SCB!), week 1, in the books! :-)

WOW!

We made it through the first week! I actually had no intention of doing everything in any of the lesson plans. My "goal" was just to establish new routines and see how long each subject took. However, Cheryl, you outdid yourself in these early weeks and made it so I didn't have to stretch it out! In SC2, New American cursive is simply familiarizing us with the book, for 4 days!! ...and there was a lesson plan on how to do it! Math, we looked over the lessons in the teacher's manual and refreshed our memories. She did all the "practice sheets" (independantly), we reviewed facts in addition and subtraction through the 3s family. The spelling was "easy" she says, but we followed the model so "I" knew how it was supposed to go, despite her being able to spell all the words on the first day!

My son LOVES "Going on Eagerly" which is about the only writing we had this week. In fact, he wanted to do MORE! We actually did not do "Everywhere we Go" and "Finding the Answers" over the summer, so I suggested we do one of those instead. He did 3 pages in "E".

I'm not sure where or when I decided to go ahead and give SCB a try with my 3.5 year old, but I did. I knew we would be doing manners and the Bible (since it is the same Bible as SC2), and wanted a Numbers/Alphabet lesson just for her, so it seemed logical. However, we managed to do it all!! Honestly, I'm not so sure we will keep this one up though. She was protesting the coloring (though she is doing the Bible coloring), every.single.day. My original plan was just to work through SCA this year (some would be a repeat) and then do Jr. K next year. I think we will try for another couple of weeks and if her resistance keeps up, I'll default back to that plan. She has a Feb birthday, vice an Aug/Sep birthday, so Jr. K for her makes more sense next year anyway.

It was not an easy week by any means. We only stopped watching our neighbors on Friday and I just wanted to start routines and engrain them in the kids. I thought about "taking the week off", but for my kids that would really only continue with the chaos, and I felt they needed a routine more than a "rest". I did stop setting alarms this week (I was waking them before the girls arrived every day), and they are sleeping an extra 30-45 minutes. It is making our day start a little late, but THIS I felt they needed, sleep! Whenever we go on a trip, or have a disruption in our schedule it seems to take them a few weeks to "re-gulate". I did wake them at 8am though, thinking I didn't want them not going to bed at night either. I'd prefer them to be up more like 7/7:30.

My son (the SC-Cer) performed as I expected, rebelling and protesting almost everything (except the workbook!). The first 2 days were miserable, but he did do the work. The next two days were not rosy, but they were better as he knew what to expect.

I feel a little burnt out, even though doing the 3 groups had us finishing up around 2. (earlier than I thought). I didn't get any laundry done, house cleaned, nor did I exercise. I know, it's only the first week and we will truly find our groove. In all honesty, I was pleased that for the first time in 2 years of homeschooling, a "routine" I wanted to implement, worked! I think the difference this time, unlike the last 2 years, is I finally ignored the protesting!!!

This forum has been such a blessing in helping me create a vision for our homeschool. I finally have let go of some of the ideals I thought I wanted (but maybe I didn't really want them, I just thought I "needed" them, or they really were contrary to my own belief system but they "sounded" good in theory, not practice!!!

We still technically have Saturday as a school day (there are 4 items not completed in the cores - oops, missed I needed to print a calendar!), but I'm going to call this week done and tackle some of the home projects that need to be tended to. I hope to be a little more ahead of the week next week.

P.S> - if you have not heard of or purchased an INSTA POT - buy one! Such a GREAT item for the kitchen. Forget to take food out to defrost? Dinner done in 30 min with the electric pressure cooker!! I'm still learning how to use it, but there are over 100,000 in the INSTA pot FB group- I'm thinking 100,000 people can't be wrong? LOL
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Re: SC2, SCC (oh and SCB!), week 1, in the books! :-)

Congratulations, Christine!

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
      WOW!

We made it through the first week! I actually had no intention of doing everything in any of the lesson plans. My "goal" was just to establish new routines and see how long each subject took. However, Cheryl, you outdid yourself in these early weeks and made it so I didn't have to stretch it out! In SC2, New American cursive is simply familiarizing us with the book, for 4 days!! ...and there was a lesson plan on how to do it! Math, we looked over the lessons in the teacher's manual and refreshed our memories. She did all the "practice sheets" (independantly), we reviewed facts in addition and subtraction through the 3s family. The spelling was "easy" she says, but we followed the model so "I" knew how it was supposed to go, despite her being able to spell all the words on the first day!

My son LOVES "Going on Eagerly" which is about the only writing we had this week. In fact, he wanted to do MORE! We actually did not do "Everywhere we Go" and "Finding the Answers" over the summer, so I suggested we do one of those instead. He did 3 pages in "E".

I'm not sure where or when I decided to go ahead and give SCB a try with my 3.5 year old, but I did. I knew we would be doing manners and the Bible (since it is the same Bible as SC2), and wanted a Numbers/Alphabet lesson just for her, so it seemed logical. However, we managed to do it all!! Honestly, I'm not so sure we will keep this one up though. She was protesting the coloring (though she is doing the Bible coloring), every.single.day. My original plan was just to work through SCA this year (some would be a repeat) and then do Jr. K next year. I think we will try for another couple of weeks and if her resistance keeps up, I'll default back to that plan. She has a Feb birthday, vice an Aug/Sep birthday, so Jr. K for her makes more sense next year anyway.

It was not an easy week by any means. We only stopped watching our neighbors on Friday and I just wanted to start routines and engrain them in the kids. I thought about "taking the week off", but for my kids that would really only continue with the chaos, and I felt they needed a routine more than a "rest". I did stop setting alarms this week (I was waking them before the girls arrived every day), and they are sleeping an extra 30-45 minutes. It is making our day start a little late, but THIS I felt they needed, sleep! Whenever we go on a trip, or have a disruption in our schedule it seems to take them a few weeks to "re-gulate". I did wake them at 8am though, thinking I didn't want them not going to bed at night either. I'd prefer them to be up more like 7/7:30.

My son (the SC-Cer) performed as I expected, rebelling and protesting almost everything (except the workbook!). The first 2 days were miserable, but he did do the work. The next two days were not rosy, but they were better as he knew what to expect.

I feel a little burnt out, even though doing the 3 groups had us finishing up around 2. (earlier than I thought). I didn't get any laundry done, house cleaned, nor did I exercise. I know, it's only the first week and we will truly find our groove. In all honesty, I was pleased that for the first time in 2 years of homeschooling, a "routine" I wanted to implement, worked! I think the difference this time, unlike the last 2 years, is I finally ignored the protesting!!!

This forum has been such a blessing in helping me create a vision for our homeschool. I finally have let go of some of the ideals I thought I wanted (but maybe I didn't really want them, I just thought I "needed" them, or they really were contrary to my own belief system but they "sounded" good in theory, not practice!!!

We still technically have Saturday as a school day (there are 4 items not completed in the cores - oops, missed I needed to print a calendar!), but I'm going to call this week done and tackle some of the home projects that need to be tended to. I hope to be a little more ahead of the week next week.

P.S> - if you have not heard of or purchased an INSTA POT - buy one! Such a GREAT item for the kitchen. Forget to take food out to defrost? Dinner done in 30 min with the electric pressure cooker!! I'm still learning how to use it, but there are over 100,000 in the INSTA pot FB group- I'm thinking 100,000 people can't be wrong? LOL
      Isn't that the truth?! I don't know how in my early days I didn't understand that learning and school is not always fun, that they don't always want to do the work! But I didn't get it. If they complained I was sure that I was doing something wrong. Now, I'm just, "sorry kids, this is what we have to do."

We start on Wednesday. Ready or not.
      Susan

2018-2019
      A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
      C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
      G (5) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Have a great Start Day tomorrow, Susan!

Comment

Working...
        X