Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Memorizing math facts...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memorizing math facts...

Another question from me today...My daughter (who is good at memory work) still counts to get the answers to addition facts. We review flash cards and do all the work in the curriculum but she isn't retaining it. Any suggestions to help her remember them instead of counting? (she is supposed to memorize these, right?) Thanks in advance!

Re: Memorizing math facts...

Mrs. Arpino,

Is your daughter in R&S 1 with SC 1? If she is, those math facts will become more automatic over time. Use the corresponding speed drills (timed or untimed) and practice sheets, if you can. Keep following your SC 1 lessons for non-writing practice too.

If she is a scorekeeper-type child, you can mark on a chart the number of +/- facts she already knows. She likely knows 0 facts. As she masters more, record them. Encouragement is important. Sometimes "your math facts" is too overwhelming, but "0+ facts" or "1+ facts" are manageable.

Outside of her math lessons, you can provide low-pressure practice through games. For example, carry 2 or more dice in your purse. When waiting for food in a restaurant or sitting in a waiting room, play "Fast Add" or "Fast Subtract." Take quick turns, "hot potato" style, if she would enjoy this. At home, play Yahtzee in teams, so she can learn to fast-add for points. In the car, play "Fast Math Facts" with oral rapid-fire 2+1, 3-1, etc. You can also find math-fact review audio songs.

Counting books can help too, because you can ask, "If we added one more to this page, how many would we have?" "If we subtracted one from this page, how many would we have?" Reread with 2 as the Magic Number. "This time we'll add two more." Practice, practice, practice in a relaxed, non-pressured way. Some children memorize more easily than others, so varied input helps.

If she is in R&S 1 with SC 1, I think you'll see improvement by the end, especially if you can integrate regular practice like some of the above ideas.

Comment

We are indeed doing R&S with SC1. Your reassurance makes me more confident! I'll add in the other stuff for fun. Math is her favorite so she will love playing more!

Comment

I created bookmarks, addition fact mastery on the front and subtraction mastery on the back.

It's real high-tech. Says "look what I have mastered" on both sides with the numbers 1 to 10 written inside individual boxes. When they've mastered addition family 1, they place a little sticker on the one box on the addition side. Like I said, real high-tech. Haha

Also, we're just starting math 2 and my son very rarely counts on his fingers anymore, a huge improvement over last year this time. Think of it like phonics, when they start they sound out every.single.letter. They build speed and automaticity with reading practice. Pretty soon, they just know what the word is and don't need to sound it out. Same thing with math. With practice, they just know the answer and don't need to count it out
        Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
        DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
        DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
        Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
        Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

I'll try it! I'm not to tech savy though - hope I can handle it! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
            I created bookmarks, addition fact mastery on the front and subtraction mastery on the back.

It's real high-tech. Says "look what I have mastered" on both sides with the numbers 1 to 10 written inside individual boxes. When they've mastered addition family 1, they place a little sticker on the one box on the addition side. Like I said, real high-tech. Haha

Also, we're just starting math 2 and my son very rarely counts on his fingers anymore, a huge improvement over last year this time. Think of it like phonics, when they start they sound out every.single.letter. They build speed and automaticity with reading practice. Pretty soon, they just know what the word is and don't need to sound it out. Same thing with math. With practice, they just know the answer and don't need to count it out
            I just wanted to say I LOVE this comparison. What a great way to explain facts fluency!
            2016-2017 Beginning our 4th yr of HS
            3rd yr with MP, 2nd yr of full core
            Working mom and Ranching family
            11-DD-5M
            19-DS-first year of college and working as 911 operator
            21-DD-works in HR for large company-also in college
            23-DS-EMT-PARA/FF/deputy sheriff

Comment

Working...
            X