Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Small-group language tutorial (help!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small-group language tutorial (help!)

Is there a list somewhere of the corresponding Primary Phonics and other readers for each FSR student book?

I'm teaching a small-group language intensive (5 weeks) for beginning readers who are struggling with phonics/writing and can't seem to find if there's a list or link for which readers go with which FSR books. I'll be using (primarily) books D and E, along with the Core Skills Phonics 1.
    If it helps with determining which readers to use, the goal of the intensive is a "happy placement" in Level 2.

Re: Small-group language tutorial (help!)

I would love this too. I feel like I bought these expensive sets and am not using them to their full potential. If it's not scheduled, it doesn't get done around here, you know?
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

I don't know if there is a "list" but in the K bridge summer phonics lesson plans the blue, green and teal readers are used (the blue readers correspond to FSR E). The red readers are used most in the K curriculum guide and the green and teal readers are used to bridge to MP1.

In MP1 the purple readers are used the first 3 weeks, I believe? The pink are sprinkled in MP1.

Cheryl made a suggestion of when to use the purple and pink readers if you have them and are doing SC2 instead . I'll see if I can find the link! (just reviewed the below post and it looks like the green readers are scheduled in SC1)

http://forum.memoriapress.com/showth...E-and-SC-1-2-3
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

The Primary Phonics Reader Sets are scheduled in the Curriculum Manual. Set 1 doesn't begin until around Week 16 because students are still working on letter sounds, blending and common words. We don't schedule any of the books until the words within the book can be decoded or have been introduced as common words. We want the foundation to be firm before trying the books so students have a better chance at success rather than frustration.

Set 1 is completed during the regular k program. When coupled with the reading in FSR and the American Language Series it is plenty of practice. In fact I tell parents and teachers if more oral reading practice is needed at this stage, read more than the scheduled pages of the ALS readers. But, don't skip ahead in the Primary Phonics Readers because that could cause frustration since many of those phonograms have not been covered.

Sets 2 and 3 line up, and are scheduled with FSR E. Since that book introduces vowel teams. The remaining books are scheduled for the Summer Bridge after k. This is an important placement because students at this critical juncture need to continue reading or progression will stop and be in danger of regression in reading. PPR are perfect for this placement because they are simple readers that don't introduce too much at a time. When scheduled in conjunction with the pages in Classical Phonics, it works very well for these brief summer lessons.

I wish the price of these sets were cheaper. But they really were the best fit. Maybe in the future we can develop our own set of little phonetic readers. Just don't tell
        Tanya I said that, she may explode. She thinks primary is almost complete.

Blessings,
        Michelle T

Comment

The pink set, 5, is scheduled the first few weeks of first grade with the purple set, 6, sprinkled throughout the remainder of that year.

Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by AimeeM View Post
            Is there a list somewhere of the corresponding Primary Phonics and other readers for each FSR student book?

I'm teaching a small-group language intensive (5 weeks) for beginning readers who are struggling with phonics/writing and can't seem to find if there's a list or link for which readers go with which FSR books. I'll be using (primarily) books D and E, along with the Core Skills Phonics 1.
            If it helps with determining which readers to use, the goal of the intensive is a "happy placement" in Level 2.

Hi, Aimee.

Check your TofC in Books D & E to coordinate by phonics skill. This consolidated list might help:

Green Set 3
            plurals, initial and final consonant blends, double consonants, and consonant digraph "ck". (Scheduled in lesson plans for SC 1.)

Teal Set 4
            consonant digraphs sh, ch, th, and wh; the final five books of the teal Set 4 cover r-controlled vowels, which our SC 2 students read in the ALS book At the Farm.

Purple and Pink Sets 5 & 6
            good for accompanying instruction in soft and hard c, soft and hard g, and three sounds of y, FSR E vowel teams, also covered in ALS On the Trail and Sounds of the Sea.

Comment

Btw, if you do not already have the Individual Lesson Plans for SC 1 Phonics & Reading, scroll down the Individual Lesson Plan list to the SC items. These will make teaching FSR much easier!

Comment

Thanks guys! I remembered reading the earlier post by Cheryl, but then couldn't find it again. This time I'm writing this info inside my guide so I have it for.ev.er. haha
                Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
                DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
                DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
                Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
                Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                  Btw, if you do not already have the Individual Lesson Plans for SC 1 Phonics & Reading, scroll down the Individual Lesson Plan list to the SC items. These will make teaching FSR much easier!
                  I just came across those plans - thanks!

Comment

So SC1 uses the first 3 sets of readers, but we should schedule the next 3 sets to go along with SC2? Am I reading that right?
                    JeJe Greer
                    Mom to:
                    Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
                    Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Yes, but only if you a) already own the PPR readers or b) feel you need more oral reading practice than what you already receive in SC 2.

We schedule Moose Moments and ALS readers for you in SC 2, and then we move to Little Bear and other "real" books second semester in SC StoryTime Treasures.

Comment

OK. We already own all of the sets since I thought we were going to do 1st grade this year. I will just keep them for SC2 or 1st grade, depending on how you think Clara does this year and where she should head next. Thank you for clarifying, Cheryl!
                        JeJe Greer
                        Mom to:
                        Stella (6M in 2018-2019)
                        Clara (SC3 in 2018-2019)

Comment

Working...
                        X