Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

What grade after SCC 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What grade after SCC 2

Thinking the SCC 2 will be perfect for my struggling 8yr old reader. But where will she start next year??
    Plus, My 7 yr old son reads great ...finished first start reading and is reading on target...BUT has not learned cursive and hates to write a lot. Is it possible they could merge into SCC 2?

Re: What grade after SCC 2

You could merge them, but some siblings compete too much with eachother to make that harmonious. Are their math competency levels equal too?

What do you mean, "where will she start next year?" Are you asking what the next SC level is or are you asking about transitioning to the classic core?

SC3 has a planned release of this upcoming school year. If you were to transition to the classic core, you could transition to grade 2 if all of the skills were mastered in SC2, but if more review was needed you could switch to grade 1.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Yes, they are at the same level in math, they do Teaching Textbooks right now.
      My goal is to get them both into grade 3 classical curriculum next year. But then there is the Latin..
      The more I think about this the more confused I get. I have to go back to the catalog and look at this again!

Comment

Originally posted by Saintphoebe View Post
        Thinking the SCC 2 will be perfect for my struggling 8yr old reader. But where will she start next year??
        Plus, My 7 yr old son reads great ...finished first start reading and is reading on target...BUT has not learned cursive and hates to write a lot. Is it possible they could merge into SCC 2?

Saintphoebe,

Yes! They could both learn from SC 2 this year, especially if they work reasonably well together, as Colomama implied.

Your struggling reader may improve significantly through the more in-depth phonics, spelling, and reading practice of SC 2. Your reluctant writer will benefit from the SC 2 cursive plans. This could be a perfect match for both! Btw, you can continue in your own math program, if this is working well. Just order SC 2 as a set without math. You would only need an extra set of SC 2 consumables for your additional child. This could be a very good plan.

Regarding next year:

They might branch off in different directions next year, or they might stay together. Either way, this year would be combined into SC 2 for the reasons you mentioned. Remember that you can re-assess by the end of the year. One year at a time. Next year your son might move to MP 2. If your daughter's reading has improved quite a bit, she could do the same. However, if you find that she benefits from more step-by-step reading, spelling, and writing, she might proceed to SC 3.

Whether MP 2 or SC 3, the additional year of primary phonics and reading through literature seems advisable for her at this time. (Jumping to MP 3 seems unlikely for a struggling reader, but time will tell!)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheryl

Comment

Sounds like you're really trying to get them both to 'proper grade level' next year.

Remember, some curriculums are slow and some are advanced. MP is considered advanced. The grade level on the material is irrelevent. What matters most is that your student is challenged without being overwhelmed. It is far better to meet them where they're at and to move at their learning pace, than to push them along too fast.

Also remember that you can customize to your hearts content with MP. Eliminate math from your package and use your own. You can add or eliminate latin (I can't tell whether your excited or nervous about its appearance in third grade).

I'll be combining two into SC2 this year as well, only time will tell if it's a positive experience for us. I have no idea where we'll be next year, but I have plenty of time to figure that out.
          Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
          DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
          DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
          Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
          Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Thank you both!
            Cheryl..the more I looked at it I couldn't believe how perfect it looked. I just wasn't sure what happens after that level but now I feel confident with your advice.
            I was second guessing myself..I didn't want to hold my merging 2nd grader back, but if he needs to solidify his writing, cursive and he's still working through Spelling workout B.
            The two kids work pretty good together and my good reader I will (and do now) just schedule in more readers.

Comment

Thank you colomama!! Sounds like a good plan. I thought I read somewhere about MP being advanced. Yes, I was hoping to get them on grade level..but your right!! I am tired of tweaking, so when I saw the SCC...it was like an answer to,prayers!
              I just love how easy it is to implement and it actually gets done!

Comment

Originally posted by Saintphoebe View Post
                Thank you both!
                Cheryl..the more I looked at it I couldn't believe how perfect it looked. I just wasn't sure what happens after that level but now I feel confident with your advice.
                I was second guessing myself..I didn't want to hold my merging 2nd grader back, but if he needs to solidify his writing, cursive and he's still working through Spelling workout B.
                The two kids work pretty good together and my good reader I will (and do now) just schedule in more readers.

In case you have not discovered this --
                We offer extra readers in SC 2. Scroll almost all the way down the SC 2 page. You'll see a set called "Extended Literature." You may already own most or all of these.

For some of our SC 2 students, like your son, these provide early chapter books as readers. For others, they provide additional read-alouds.

Just letting you know that you will receive a reading schedule for these inside your SC 2 planner.

Thanks-
                Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com
                - SC Level 3 to release later in 2016 or 2017

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                  In case you have not discovered this --
                  We offer extra readers in SC 2. Scroll almost all the way down the SC 2 page. You'll see a set called "Extended Literature." You may already own most or all of these.

For some of our SC 2 students, like your son, these provide early chapter books as readers. For others, they provide additional read-alouds.

Just letting you know that you will receive a reading schedule for these inside your SC 2 planner.

Thanks-
                  Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com
                  - SC Level 3 to release later in 2016 or 2017
                  Great!! Thank you so much! I am so grateful for all the hard work you and the staff do!

Comment

Working...
                  X