Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Readiness Assessment Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Readiness Assessment Results

I strongly recommend getting a membership to Learning Ally. It is a treasure trove of audiobooks only available to those with a dx of dyslexia or vision impairment. This is not just Audible-type novels (although they have those too), but also textbooks, math books, Bibles, dictionaries, etc. For $10/ month you have unlimited access. With a computer or IPad, the site also shows highlighted text for the child to read along with the audio version. My dyslexic son's reading went through the roof (i.e., started after years of phonics instruction) when he began using this program at age 9. We were doing multisensory phonics, beginning readers, normal audiobooks, and family read alouds with him following along (always losing his place) and he was progressing very slowly. Then suddenly he could read along for hours a day with an audiobook and the highlighted text keeping him in place. It made all the difference for him!
    Catherine

2019-20
    DS16, 10th with MPOA
    DS14, 7th
    DS13, 6th
    DD13, 6th
    DS7, MP1 with Barton Reading & Spelling
    DD4, JrK
    DS 23 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
    2 in classical school

Comment

Originally posted by jejegreer View Post
      Yes and no. My daughter will be 8 in September so if she can do SC2 it is much more important than for a 6-year old to be able to go further. Does this mean that the readiness assessment for SC2 is not correct, or that my child is just way behind? If the latter, which is quite possible, do you have any kind of accelerated lesson plan I can use? I have obviously failed miserably at teaching reading, and don't want to keep Clara back when she could be in 3rd grade in my state. She is not dumb. She can already do multiplication skip counting and she retains everything that is not reading. I know that your curriculum recommends reading 3rd grade books aloud if they are too hard for the child to read alone. We use your curriculum for my older daughter who is way above grade level so it is easy for her. This curriculum would be easy for Clara if she could read. I cannot believe that we have a daughter with a learning disability like dyslexia, and have read your book. I still feel it is my fault since I must have done things like eat deli meat while pregnant. How do I ever make this up to her if I do not get her to the right grade level in time?
      First, I would say you likely have not failed at teaching reading, you just have not had the right tools for your daughter. Second, let go of that blame. Your daughter is simply made differently. Her brain is different from "typical" kids. My oldest has a host of diagnoses but he is also dyslexic and struggles with reading but not with math. So I've been there. I am still there. He's 8 and is probably around early first grade in reading ability.

If you go through SC1 and teach to mastery, she will gain the skills. We really do have to meet our children where they are. In reality, since we homeschool, what does grade level really matter? Slow and steady with the reading skills and it will come.

Are you a Read Aloud Revival podcast fan? The first episode is an interview with Andrew Pudewa about reading aloud to one of his sons who didn't read independently until he was 12. I certainly hope my boys will be reading before then, but the episode was very inspirational and reassuring -- basically by supplementing with reading aloud your child doesn't miss anything simply because they are "behind" in reading skills. We have a Learning Ally, we haven't used it all that much, but it is a fantastic resource. My son can listen to all types of books when I don't have enough time to read to him as much as we would like. We also use Librivox a lot. Neither Librivox and Learning Ally have the best sounding narrators and it would drive me crazy to listen to them, it doesn't seem to both my son.
      Susan

2019-2020
      A (11) - R&S math 4, Mash up of MP 2/3 & SC 4
      C (10) - R&S math 3, Mash up of MP 2/3 & SC 4
      G (6) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Originally posted by sfhargett View Post

Are you a Read Aloud Revival podcast fan? The first episode is an interview with Andrew Pudewa about reading aloud to one of his sons who didn't read independently until he was 12. I certainly hope my boys will be reading before then, but the episode was very inspirational and reassuring -- basically by supplementing with reading aloud your child doesn't miss anything simply because they are "behind" in reading skills. We have a Learning Ally, we haven't used it all that much, but it is a fantastic resource. My son can listen to all types of books when I don't have enough time to read to him as much as we would like. We also use Librivox a lot. Neither Librivox and Learning Ally have the best sounding narrators and it would drive me crazy to listen to them, it doesn't seem to both my son.
        Another GREAT RAR podcast episodes are:

Marie Rippel
        (I stood in the shower and cried and cried, listening to this one. This was just about the time I suspected something was 'off')

Cheryl Swope
        Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Out of the nest, small business owner
        DD2 - 14 - 9th grade Cottage School Diploma Program/MPOA
        DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School
        DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School
        DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School
        DS6 - 6 - MP K

Comment

Working...
        X