Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Student Dictionary Recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Dictionary Recommendation?

I see that SC 2 mentions using a student dictionary in week 8. Is there one that you would suggest us purchasing? I only have my own dictionary and admit I haven't yet invested in one for students.

Heather

Re: Student Dictionary Recommendation?

We like Merriam-Webster's Elementary Dictionary. It was recommended in WTM. One of the things I like about it is the definition often includes the word used in a quote from a classic children's book. My kids like finding quotes from books we've read.
    Catherine

2019-20
    DS16, 10th with MPOA
    DS14, 7th
    DS13, 6th
    DD13, 6th
    DS7, MP1 with Barton Reading & Spelling
    DD4, JrK
    DS 23 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
    2 in classical school

Comment

Hi, Heather.

I like Catherine's (WTM) recommendation.

You might also look at this inexpensive used option for Ligia & Ervin. Note the format, the steady presentation of phonics cues, and the customer review regarding special needs:

Webster's II Children's Dictionary

Comment

Do you all think the word "kerf" which is in lesson 8 will be more likely to be in one of these dictionaries than the other? I admit I wasn't familiar with this word so wasn't sure if it would be in children's dictionaries.

Heather

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
        Hi, Heather.

I like Catherine's (WTM) recommendation.

You might also look at this inexpensive used option for Ligia & Ervin. Note the format, the steady presentation of phonics cues, and the customer review regarding special needs:

Webster's II Children's Dictionary

Comment

I'm not familiar with that word either. It is not in the Merriam Webster's!
          Catherine

2019-20
          DS16, 10th with MPOA
          DS14, 7th
          DS13, 6th
          DD13, 6th
          DS7, MP1 with Barton Reading & Spelling
          DD4, JrK
          DS 23 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
          2 in classical school

Comment

Originally posted by HeatherB View Post
            Do you all think the word "kerf" which is in lesson 8 will be more likely to be in one of these dictionaries than the other? I admit I wasn't familiar with this word so wasn't sure if it would be in children's dictionaries.

Heather
            Isn't that a silly word to include in a primary reader? I needed to look it up too! (I guess they needed another r-controlled vowel word for their stories!)

For that word, use a "grown-up" dictionary.

You can lead your children through the process of using guide words to locate the page, then scrolling down the page alphabetically. Teach as much or as little of dictionary skills and alphabetizing as you would like for this word or any other you encounter in SC 2.

Some children can come to enjoy dictionaries, encyclopedia, and other reference books. The exposure is helpful, if nothing else.

They may be especially tickled if their smart mommy did not even know the word!

Comment

Working...
            X