Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Talk to me about juggling therapies, multiple children, chores, etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Re: Talk to me about juggling therapies, multiple children, chores, etc

    Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
    Anita,

    Do you ever do a nursing holiday? In other words --- 2 days of nothing but "lying in" - in bed w wee baby and nursing, nursing, nursing. Of course, this would be a feat that would need a lot of assistance for your household and other children, but worth a shot.
    I've read about this, but no. Not doable. She's over two months old. All our help has dried up. And we have VBS next week. I'm trying to be realistic here. I've never been able to EBF. My oldest had super-suck (he likely had undiagnosed tongue-tie from what I've heard) so I only made it six weeks before going to exclusive formula-feeding. It didn't work out logistically to nurse my older daughter so she was nursed about a week, with supplementation starting her second day of life. My younger son went the longest without supplementation -- two weeks -- and I nursed him three months before he was totally formula fed. This baby has been EBF from the start. I loved it! ... And then... Right back to the same old pattern as previous babies.

    Clementine has gone without supplementation the longest -- two months! But this weight gain thing cannot be ignored. I just received a freezer stash of donated milk (from a mom I know well, no worries) so Clem is getting my milk and the donated milk now. She's much, much happier and more easygoing with a full tummy, I must say. I didn't attribute her fussiness to hunger because we were doing "everything right" and she regained her weight (from right after birth) so quickly, we weren't concerned. Her older siblings were always huge by the time they were 2-3 months old but they were majority formula fed. We assumed an EBF baby would just be smaller.

    I have literally gone down the list of contraindications on every breastfeeding website (kellymom, Jack Newman, et al); seen a lactation consultant for a full work up; pumped extra as much as I can; and supplemented my diet with four galactagogues. I'm just that rare mom who doesn't make enough milk, for whatever reason.

    This shall pass.
    Boy Wonder: 10, MP2/SC4 (Special Needs)
    Joy Bubble: 8, MP2 (Special Needs)
    Snuggly Cowboy: 6, MPK
    Sweet Lightness: 2, Reverse-Engineering Specialist

    “Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
    ~Pope St John Paul II

    Comment


      #17
      Re: Talk to me about juggling therapies, multiple children, chores, etc

      Originally posted by CatherineS View Post
      Dianna,
      I like Cheryl's idea of keeping therapy in the afternoons, rather than one long day in the car and 4 days of school.

      Regarding feeling overwhelmed even though others have children with more severe challenges--some things are harder with more mildly affected SN kids. You might feel more pressure to keep them on track with their peers, or they may be acutely aware of being below their grade level. It's still hard, just different
      .
      These are wise, wise words. Thank you.
      Plans for 2019-20
      DD #1 : 24, heading to Chase Law School NKU Fall 2019
      DD #2 : 13 8A: HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
      DS #3 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
      DS #4 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
      DD #5: 7, MP 2 at home, HLS Cottage School Louisville
      DS #6: 5, MP K at home

      [url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

      Comment


        #18
        Re: Talk to me about juggling therapies, multiple children, chores, etc

        Originally posted by Anita View Post
        I've read about this, but no. Not doable. She's over two months old. All our help has dried up. And we have VBS next week. I'm trying to be realistic here. I've never been able to EBF. My oldest had super-suck (he likely had undiagnosed tongue-tie from what I've heard) so I only made it six weeks before going to exclusive formula-feeding. It didn't work out logistically to nurse my older daughter so she was nursed about a week, with supplementation starting her second day of life. My younger son went the longest without supplementation -- two weeks -- and I nursed him three months before he was totally formula fed. This baby has been EBF from the start. I loved it! ... And then... Right back to the same old pattern as previous babies.

        Clementine has gone without supplementation the longest -- two months! But this weight gain thing cannot be ignored. I just received a freezer stash of donated milk (from a mom I know well, no worries) so Clem is getting my milk and the donated milk now. She's much, much happier and more easygoing with a full tummy, I must say. I didn't attribute her fussiness to hunger because we were doing "everything right" and she regained her weight (from right after birth) so quickly, we weren't concerned. Her older siblings were always huge by the time they were 2-3 months old but they were majority formula fed. We assumed an EBF baby would just be smaller.

        I have literally gone down the list of contraindications on every breastfeeding website (kellymom, Jack Newman, et al); seen a lactation consultant for a full work up; pumped extra as much as I can; and supplemented my diet with four galactagogues. I'm just that rare mom who doesn't make enough milk, for whatever reason.

        This shall pass.
        Hugs to you. It was my one 'ace in the hole' that I didn't see you mention. What a blessing to have donated BM! When the boys were small and I couldn't keep up with pumping for them while working in the ER, my husband took it upon himself to make formula for them. Some sort of concoction with goat milk, molasses, trace minerals --- I have no idea what else. It was his project.
        Plans for 2019-20
        DD #1 : 24, heading to Chase Law School NKU Fall 2019
        DD #2 : 13 8A: HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
        DS #3 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
        DS #4 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
        DD #5: 7, MP 2 at home, HLS Cottage School Louisville
        DS #6: 5, MP K at home

        [url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

        Comment


          #19
          Re: Talk to me about juggling therapies, multiple children, chores, etc

          Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
          Oh, you have me pegged so well, because you are much like me.

          Part of what's bothering me is the nebulous-ness of my schedule ( as far as therapy is concerned). I'm leaning heavily toward putting OT on hold, once we get the official results of the VT testing (Friday). I've been reading what I can about VT, and I'm going to push for once weekly. My sanity can't deal with twice weekly trips -- I'd rather drag it out a bit.

          Like you, Susan (and I am so annoyed at myself that I didn't take the time to say hello at Sodalitas!), we also do a co-op for 'friend purposes'. Thankfully, that's only once per month.

          Talk to me about how you use your loop schedule. I'm OK w schooling on Sat or Sun, but it will have to be something that doesn't require a lot of hand holding, as my husband isn't good at wrangling the children+feeding them+juggling schoolwork+managing his own phone calls.

          I've already made a list (compilation of 3/4/5 grade read alouds) of what we can put on in the car.
          I'm annoyed I didn't talk to you at Sodalitas also! I am super shy in person. Next year!

          If you don't know when your therapies are going to be and you can't put them in a time slot yet. Yes, that would be nerve-wracking. Once a week therapy would be so good. I tell myself, one year, we won't have three therapies a week. With the OT, do your boys have sensory issues or is it only fine motor delays? If it's only fine motor, I would be tempted to delay therapy too. There are plenty of fine motor things you can do at home. Anderson has emotional regulation and sensory processing issues, so OT is crucial for him.

          For my schedule, we are going to start with a short morning time the four mornings we are home. Basically prayer, calendar, recitation, and a reading (the weekly bible story, catechism lesson, or a short literature selection). Then the rest of the day will be our loop schedule. So what I did was figure out all the subjects that I would want to cover in a typical day (if such a thing existed in our house). For my big two - reading broken up into two chunks, math, copywork, art/crafts (because my daughter loves art and my son needs the fine motor practice), PACE, enrichment (on a separate loop). Each subject has a different time allotment (arts/crafts and PACE are 10 minutes each, the others are longer). But for me, I want to cover those things all once before I do them again. Each time we get to the enrichment, we'll do a different part of the enrichment cycle. For my youngest, I broke the SC A subjects into three parts. Then I put everything in a list and we'll cycle through it, then begin again. None of my kids do anything independently right now, so its all at the elbow time for me.

          So after that long description, here is my loop:

          • Family: PACE
          • Anderson: Reading and Spelling
          • Carrington: Reading and Spelling
          • Grayson: Oral Language & Literature and Enrichment
          • Family: Copywork & Memory
          • Carrington: Reading Fluency
          • Anderson: Reading Fluency
          • Grayson: Fine Motor & Number
          • Family: Art
          • Anderson: Math
          • Carrington: Math
          • Grayson: Gross Motor & Speech Practice
          • Anderson: Speech & OT Practice
          • Family: Enrichment
          Susan

          2018-2019
          A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
          C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
          G (5) - Simply Classical C

          Comment


            #20
            Re: Talk to me about juggling therapies, multiple children, chores, etc

            Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
            I'm annoyed I didn't talk to you at Sodalitas also! I am super shy in person. Next year!

            If you don't know when your therapies are going to be and you can't put them in a time slot yet. Yes, that would be nerve-wracking. Once a week therapy would be so good. I tell myself, one year, we won't have three therapies a week. With the OT, do your boys have sensory issues or is it only fine motor delays? If it's only fine motor, I would be tempted to delay therapy too. There are plenty of fine motor things you can do at home. Anderson has emotional regulation and sensory processing issues, so OT is crucial for him.

            For my schedule, we are going to start with a short morning time the four mornings we are home. Basically prayer, calendar, recitation, and a reading (the weekly bible story, catechism lesson, or a short literature selection). Then the rest of the day will be our loop schedule. So what I did was figure out all the subjects that I would want to cover in a typical day (if such a thing existed in our house). For my big two - reading broken up into two chunks, math, copywork, art/crafts (because my daughter loves art and my son needs the fine motor practice), PACE, enrichment (on a separate loop). Each subject has a different time allotment (arts/crafts and PACE are 10 minutes each, the others are longer). But for me, I want to cover those things all once before I do them again. Each time we get to the enrichment, we'll do a different part of the enrichment cycle. For my youngest, I broke the SC A subjects into three parts. Then I put everything in a list and we'll cycle through it, then begin again. None of my kids do anything independently right now, so its all at the elbow time for me.

            So after that long description, here is my loop:

            • Family: PACE
            • Anderson: Reading and Spelling
            • Carrington: Reading and Spelling
            • Grayson: Oral Language & Literature and Enrichment
            • Family: Copywork & Memory
            • Carrington: Reading Fluency
            • Anderson: Reading Fluency
            • Grayson: Fine Motor & Number
            • Family: Art
            • Anderson: Math
            • Carrington: Math
            • Grayson: Gross Motor & Speech Practice
            • Anderson: Speech & OT Practice
            • Family: Enrichment
            Ooooh ---- this is helpful!

            My boys' OT is ONLY fine motor ---- hand strength, in hand manipulation, and bilateral coordination. I took a sensory input questionnaire for Adam, because I mentioned his clumsiness to the evaluation team. Nothing was out of whack there. (and now I know that some of those coordination issues are also related to his vision issues)

            You're exactly right --- much of this, I could do at home. I'll plan to 'wean' us from there, probably by the end of August. I want a solid plan for VT in place, and a set of exercises to do at home with OT before I totally jump ship.

            That's a good plan - to look at the 'ideal day' and then break it into chunks for a loop. I can manage that. Enrichment is something I want to really focus on this year, as it provides much for my boys and connects our family. Otherwise, I sort of feel like we're all doing our own thing independently of one another.
            Plans for 2019-20
            DD #1 : 24, heading to Chase Law School NKU Fall 2019
            DD #2 : 13 8A: HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
            DS #3 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
            DS #4 : 11 4A + Simply Classical 5/6; HLS Cottage School Louisville
            DD #5: 7, MP 2 at home, HLS Cottage School Louisville
            DS #6: 5, MP K at home

            [url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

            Comment


              #21
              Re: Talk to me about juggling therapies, multiple children, chores, etc

              Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
              Ooooh ---- this is helpful!

              My boys' OT is ONLY fine motor ---- hand strength, in hand manipulation, and bilateral coordination. I took a sensory input questionnaire for Adam, because I mentioned his clumsiness to the evaluation team. Nothing was out of whack there. (and now I know that some of those coordination issues are also related to his vision issues)

              You're exactly right --- much of this, I could do at home. I'll plan to 'wean' us from there, probably by the end of August. I want a solid plan for VT in place, and a set of exercises to do at home with OT before I totally jump ship.

              That's a good plan - to look at the 'ideal day' and then break it into chunks for a loop. I can manage that. Enrichment is something I want to really focus on this year, as it provides much for my boys and connects our family. Otherwise, I sort of feel like we're all doing our own thing independently of one another.

              Yes! Last spring especially, I found that most days we did reading, we sometimes did math, we rarely made it to handwriting, and never made it to enrichment. So I'm hoping by putting everything on ha loop, I can give everything the priority it deserves. I feel like the enrichment is really important. It gives time for something that is interesting but not difficult that we can do together.
              Susan

              2018-2019
              A (10) - Barton, R&S math 3, SC 3
              C (9) - Barton, R&S math 2, SC 3
              G (5) - Simply Classical C

              Comment


                #22
                Re: Talk to me about juggling therapies, multiple children, chores, etc

                My daughter only has speech therapy usually though my son had physical therapy for a bit too so we're familiar with juggling schedules.

                What I usually do is like Cheryl I schedule therapies for the afternoon when possible. Also, I save a couple more independent worksheet-type things for the kids to do in the car on the way there. Things like copying spelling words, math practice sheets, etc. You could get the Story of the World audiobooks and play those on your way. Or pray the rosary for part of the drive for a change of pace and to be sure you're fitting in prayer time. I was amazed at how saying the rosary weekly with our friends helped DD14 to memorize the basic prayers faster. All that repetition is helpful!

                Comment

                Working...
                X