Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC 3 Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cherylswope
    replied
    Re: SC 3 Poll

Many of our SC 3 students will have art and science in their "Wonder, Beauty, & Imagination" series in SC 1 and 2.

You raise a good point, however. We will try to be sure that art, music, and science are available during the 4-day week of SC 3. You will not need to create your own.

If everything does not fit in the guide during those four days, we will suggest that a parent/teacher draw the art, music, and science lessons and activities from the 5th day. All will coordinate with the American history theme for the week.

I hope this helps clarify!

Thanks-
    Cheryl

Leave a comment:

• jejegreer
    replied

I can only teach 4 days a week since I have to work, so I am in favor of any option that can be done in 4 days. That said, I love the enrichment art and science books. If art and science are not included in the curriculum (which is what it looks like you are saying with option 2), then do we have to go create our own?

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

Originally posted by Anita View Post
    So good to hear!

I echo your puzzle idea -- that was the first thing that came to mind, actually.
    We have a Montessori US puzzle map. It is probably not feasible for most people though!

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Thank you, ladies.

My two learned with a puzzle and "clean" US states/capitals cards featuring each state's shape. Stickers would be helpful, if we can find these inexpensively.

Quick story --
    My gregarious dad enjoyed contests with those US states/capitals cards, although he could never recite so quickly as the children did, after they learned them. He still laughs when he tells the story of tiny Michelle saying, in pigtails, "Give Grandpa California, Mom. He was very close, and he doesn't have any yet."
    Love it!
    We used to play the states and capitals game after dinner when we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant -- not because my parents were trying to teach us anything, I just come from a geeky family 😉

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Thank you, ladies.

My two learned with a puzzle and "clean" US states/capitals cards featuring each state's shape. Stickers would be helpful, if we can find these inexpensively.

Quick story --
    My gregarious dad enjoyed contests with those US states/capitals cards, although he could never recite so quickly as the children did, after they learned them. He still laughs when he tells the story of tiny Michelle saying, in pigtails, "Give Grandpa California, Mom. He was very close, and he doesn't have any yet."

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Originally posted by mymommy1 View Post
    An USA puzzle, where the pieces are shaped like the states, would be good at this level, and I'd also vote for #2.

Cheryl, what you are doing with the curriculum is such a blessing, but also all your advice here. My son is above the SC levels, but I took your advice and started him a few grade levels back in cursive and grammar. He is writing sentences now. Then we go through the rules and check them. It is such a joy to see him do something and progress and have success!
    So good to hear!

I echo your puzzle idea -- that was the first thing that came to mind, actually.

Leave a comment:

• mymommy1
    replied

An USA puzzle, where the pieces are shaped like the states, would be good at this level, and I'd also vote for #2.

Cheryl, what you are doing with the curriculum is such a blessing, but also all your advice here. My son is above the SC levels, but I took your advice and started him a few grade levels back in cursive and grammar. He is writing sentences now. Then we go through the rules and check them. It is such a joy to see him do something and progress and have success!

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied

As far as as us geography. One idea is having little labels with the state or capital on them that they glue onto the map. No spelling required, but works on visual discrimination of the labels.

We're actually starting some American history this year. Will take 2 years to complete so I vote for American history also!
    Last edited by Colomama; 07-26-2016, 11:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Then "little digestible bits" win!

Good feedback.

We will keep American history and offer optional extensions on the 5th day.

Thanks to all.

Cheryl

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

In SC 3, which would help you more in our "Wonder, Beauty, & Imagination" category:

1. Teach Enrichment in the same style of SC 1 and SC 2, but expanded. Link SC Writing Book Two to the children's literature read-alouds.
    We would then ADD to SC 3 Enrichment a separate subject: SC 3 Intro to American history with Am history read-alouds and comprehension questions. Both the Enrichment and the Intro to American history would be in addition to all of the core SC 3 subjects (reading, spelling, cursive, arithmetic, SC More StoryTime first semester, Intro to Latin second semester).

OR ...

2. Replace the SC 1- & SC 2-style Enrichment with our SC 3 Intro to American history.
    We would then focus on heroes, adventure, and stirring patriotic music (Battle Hymn of the Republic) for our Wonder, Beauty, & Imagination. We would tie the SC Writing Book Two and comprehension to the Am history read-alouds. This would streamline the entire level quite a bit.

When I read howiecram's & Colomama's planned SC 2 daily schedules, I began leaning toward #2! Even though everything is modified considerably for special needs, #1 seems like too much to me. We must keep these levels efficient.

More Reasons:
    -We want to keep everything manageable and fully teachable in the homeschool, especially for those teaching more than one child.
    -We want to keep everything as affordable as possible.
    -We need to keep the focus on the 3 R's for this final SC primary level.
    -We also need to keep the content challenging and age-appropriate (i.e., American history) for our older students.
    -Many older SC students have writing/spelling/reading skills that place them at this SC 3 level, but they are ready to benefit from the heroes and literature of introductory American history.
    -We already offer SC More StoryTime Treasures in this level, which will provide comprehension, composition, and literary analysis of fiction selections.

If we opted for #2 above, we could still accommodate those who thoroughly enjoy the children's fiction read-alouds. We would simply supply an optional "Extended Literature" set with a great collection of fiction read-alouds, so you could obtain these through the library or elsewhere. (We could offer them as a set for anyone who prefers the convenience of ordering from MP.) We would schedule these books in the guide for reading, but not link them to SC Writing. Instead, our SC Writing would be an Intro to American history edition based on our Intro to American history read-alouds.

Also, if we opted for #2, anyone with extra teaching time could pick up the existing MP K, 1, or 2 Enrichment Guides, which are already so full of questions, discussion, and information on music, literature, and art. Many of you will already have the K, 1, or 2 art cards or posters for these.

(Note: Either way, we will still offer an SC Writing: Bible edition for extra practice or review.)

My only question is whether we want to tie SC Writing Book Two: Read-Aloud Edition to younger-children's Enrichment books (#1) and teach Am history on top of all of this, ... OR tie SC Writing Book Two to the SC 3 Intro to American history read-alouds (#2 above) instead.

Thoughts?

Cheryl
    I got to option #2 and basically stopped reading -- LOL! I vote HEARTILY for option #2!

I've only scanned the other replies, but I like Christine's 5th day idea to include more optional enrichment.

And replying to the latter part of your poll: SC writing book 2... I vote Anerican history. Just for a change of pace. And for better comprehension of American history material. Please don't attempt both read ALOUDS AND American history -- my head would explode. (I kid) But it is a lot of material to cover in one day, week, month, semester. We get behind easily when there is too much enrichment. And that's the first thing to drop like a hot potato when we do get behind. It's created a sort of "cringe effect" in me when I even see an enrichment guide. I have to take a deep breath and read slowly. It's NOT YOU. MP enrichment in general is just a steep mountain for us. Little digestible bits are definitely easier for us.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

Hi, Christine

If you have time, you can begin teaching those now. We mention it in SC 2, because some students may want a head start.

However, you can hold onto those resources until SC 3 and 4, if you would like. I know you already have plenty to teach!

I'm especially eager to hear how your son progresses with C this year.
    Ok great! I really bought the stuff for independent work (the coloring book), but planned to find rhythm first and then see!

I am really excited about SCC as well! I so wish I would have found it 2 years ago. I think it is the "perfect" Kindergarten program! I remember 2 years ago, when we were using a different program a friend asked what I thought I was still looking for. I could not really explain it! SCC was exactly what I was lookin for (before I knew any of her struggles, I knew she was not quite ready for Kindergarten, but a little beyond a pre-k program. FSR A, around Februrary would have been perfect! Of course, God really does have a plan for us! If I would have found it, I might not have known my daughter's struggles until much later in her life!

Here we are, anxious for SC2, eager for beyond with possibly SC3! I have learned my lesson and no amount of free shipping will entice me to buy a level, until one is complete! :-)

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Hi, Christine

If you have time, you can begin teaching those now. We mention it in SC 2, because some students may want a head start.

However, you can hold onto those resources until SC 3 and 4, if you would like. I know you already have plenty to teach!

I'm especially eager to hear how your son progresses with C this year.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

Good! We will teach states and capitals orally and visually only at this level. (No writing or spelling required yet!)

Thanks, Heather. My two loved history taught biographically. As with Famous Men of Rome, this allows for simultaneous character studies and personalizes historical events in a way that seems to make them more memorable.

Glad to hear Ligia and Ervin are enjoying the studies! You might like the SC Writing Book Two: American History, when it is ready.
    SC3 sounds great!

P.s> - I noticed in the SC2 recitations it mentions to start working on the States and Capitals. I don't think we will really have time for extra plans, but I had procured some States and Capitals flashcards, a little book on them and one of those Dover coloring books. What will SC3 entail? Should I just save these materials for next year then? And what was your intention on the recitation for SC2?

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Good! We will teach states and capitals orally and visually only at this level. (No writing or spelling required yet!)

Thanks, Heather. My two loved history taught biographically. As with Famous Men of Rome, this allows for simultaneous character studies and personalizes historical events in a way that seems to make them more memorable.

Glad to hear Ligia and Ervin are enjoying the studies! You might like the SC Writing Book Two: American History, when it is ready.

Leave a comment:

• HeatherB
    replied

My brain is a bit distracted today so my thoughts could be different tomorrow. ha!

Ligia & Ervn have been listening to the read alouds from year 1 of the American History (which Colin, aged 9) has been doing and they love the books. They just have not been able to do the states like he is working on (I've modified his so he is taking a bit slower than the pace suggested with the states because he was frustrated at the pace earlier on). Anyhow, what I'm saying is Ligia and Ervin love American history biographies and are at the end of listening to year one in that program from Memoria. Do not think they will be able to memorize the states and the spelling for the states and state capitals and place them correctly on the map due to their memory issues but they enjoy learning about other places.

Please feel free to ask me more specific questions. I feel like I'm not doing a very good job at replying to your questions.

Heather

I like this idea. The 5th day could expand with music, art, poetry, and science. Embedded enrichment. Thank you! This will keep costs low and keep teaching efficient.

Fwiw, we do want to focus on history Mon-Thurs, rather than science for SC 3, because we have intentionally emphasized science SC C, 1, and 2 for wonder, delight, and early skills of observation. By teaching American history chronologically in SC 3, students will receive an excellent overview of American history. (I am very excited about the read-alouds for this.) All composition and comprehension skills will build on each other through the content. Linking SC Writing Book Two to this experience will help understanding and memory even more.

To answer your question --SC 4 will begin Grammar School, similar to MP 3. For this reason, we want to achieve good writing, spelling, and reading skills by the end of our primary levels SC 1, SC 2, and SC 3.

This is the current plan:

Readiness Levels (phonological awareness, rhyming, number sense to assure success in primary - taught with beautiful books)
    A, B, C

Primary or Student Levels (foundational skills - boosted with high-interest content)
    1, 2, 3

Grammar Levels (beginning classical studies - still refining necessary skills)
    4, 5, 6

Scholar Levels (advancing studies)
    7, 8, perhaps 9

Leave a comment:

Working...
X