Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Transition times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Transition times

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    Anyone have words of wisdom for smoother transitions during the day, especially when you have kids with ADHD and/or EF issues? The kids do know what to do/when but it's quite the ordeal to actually get them going in that direction. Multiply this by several transitions in a day and it gets very chaotic. Our biggest problem is after meals and snacks; everyone scatters to the wind instead of doing what they're supposed to whether that's chores, quiet time, school or whatever.
    Focusing on this:
    Our biggest problem is after meals and snacks; everyone scatters to the wind instead of doing what they're supposed to whether that's chores, quiet time, school or whatever.

Have you ever implemented an after-meal prayer? This can be very calming and purposeful. After the prayer, you can give clear directions.

Examples:
    1) short version
    We give Thee thanks for all Thy benefits, O Almighty God, who livest and reignest world without end. Amen. (catholic.org)

2) longer version (small catechism)

Returning Thanks

"Likewise also after the meal they shall reverently and with folded hands say:

O give thanks unto the Lord, for He is good; for His mercy endureth forever. He giveth food to all flesh; He giveth to the beast his food, and to the young ravens which cry. He delighteth not in the strength of the horse; He taketh not pleasure in the legs of a man. The Lord taketh pleasure in them that fear Him, in those that hope in His mercy.

Then the Lord's Prayer and the prayer here following:

We thank Thee, Lord God, Father, through Jesus Christ, our Lord, for all Thy benefits, who livest and reignest forever and ever. Amen."

Impact:
    Once I attended a three-day classical education board meeting at a parochial boarding school for high school students. We board members ate with the students in the huge cafeteria. We were all busy talking over the loud, clattering din, when all of a sudden everyone stood. Conversations stopped. (I thought it was a fire drill.) The pastor led everyone in the longer version of returning thanks. Then he gave brief instructions.

This seemed so suitable! We thank God before our food; why not after we have consumed it too? Bonus: Students exited calmly, in a way not commonly seen in high school cafeterias.

Just a thought -

Cheryl

Comment

Originally posted by mymommy1 View Post
      Well, all I'm going to add is *hugs*! We have a routine that we more or less stay to regardless of times, but honestly, my middle ds and I (NT) carry that in our heads and do our best to keep the others going.
      Not at all! We pretty much feel like a lost cause around here (my husband and I are both in the middle of serious burnout), so I found your reply amusing in that context

ETA: I know a lot of people will suggest that we get out for awhile by ourselves, but my parents live an hour and a half away and his parents are always traveling for work, getting ready to travel for work or recovering from travel. Our friends all live 30-90 minutes away and our neighborhood is known for gun/drug issues so moms aren't comfortable letting their teenagers babysit. Just the way it goes!
      Last edited by jen1134; 07-21-2016, 10:38 AM.
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
      DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
      DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
      DS11: SC 4
      DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
      DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
      DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
        Focusing on this:
        Our biggest problem is after meals and snacks; everyone scatters to the wind instead of doing what they're supposed to whether that's chores, quiet time, school or whatever.

Have you ever implemented an after-meal prayer? This can be very calming and purposeful. After the prayer, you can give clear directions.
        This is a great idea!

I'm also working on a more detailed version of our schedule. I'm realizing that the usual spreadsheet with time blocks leaves too much "implied" information for everyone to remember. Now I just have to figure out how to make it so that we all actually REMEMBER TO USE the list throughout the day, every day.
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
        DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
        DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
        DS11: SC 4
        DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
        DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
        DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Another idea for transitions, especially between subjects. We loosely use the workbox system. Basically its a cart with drawers. On the front of the drawer is a laminated subject card with a velcro dot on the back. Everything needed to complete the subject is kept in the drawer including pencils, markers, scissors, etc. The child starts at the top drawer and works their way down throughout the day. When done with a subject, they remove the laminated label and stick it to a 'look what I did today' sheet. When all of their labels are gone, they're done.

Some tidbits: you don't do every subject every day
          I just tuck those labels/ boxes not used that day inside the drawer. The sheet, 'look what I did today' gives dad a jumping off point when he asks 'what did you do today' and the child answers, "stuff". He can move to, "I see you did history, who is one person you learned about in history?"

I also make sure there are at least 5 pencils in math and language arts drawers. I swear he drops his pencil on the floor 10 times a day. Having gobs of extra, ready to use pencils saves so much time. He's not constantly getting out of his chair and crawling around on the floor.

This system cuts down on aimless wandering. Going to the bookshelf to find the reader, getting distracted with a different book, poking a sibling, etc. Everything needed is just all right there in the drawer.
          Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
          DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
          DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
          Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
          Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

I LOVE th after meal prayer. Going to do that...tomorrow! Lol

We use the workbox system too, it is amazing and radically changed ..well, everything.

I love the checking off the ached . I have thought so many times that would help my DS 12 but git distracted and never implented it.

Giving a 10 minute warning is the ONLY way I have been able to have consistency with this.
            My kids HAVE to have that. Their brains need to 'gear up'

Great ideas here.
            Last edited by Kat w; 07-22-2016, 05:19 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
            X