Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Doing SCC and SC2......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing SCC and SC2......

I'm really on the fence about what to do with regards to SCC and SC2. I just LOVE SCC and think it will greatly benefit my son. (He will be 5 sept 1). There is kind of a lot going on in that level and honestly, I think all 3 of my kids will benefit (I thought we would add on the manners from B for our opening as well). I have determined we will do the Bible writing from SC2, instead of the read aloud, because I would like some more guided Bible study time. We have the R&S Bible coloring books for the younger two and we tried this together for a week as a test run and it went well, so I feel pretty good about that. I think I would prefer to do MP1 Enrichment, over SC2, but maybe I am not thinking through it. I did feel like 1 topic a week was too much. I feel like a more consolidated topic for 1-2 weeks would serve her better. A new read aloud book a week would be fine, but similar topic. (snow for 2 weeks?, butterflies/lifecycles for 2 weeks, body, etc) - but that is a lot of work to combine different years for enrichment (I have a good number of books between K-2 and all the Enrichment teacher guides, art cards and posters so we could really do anything). I spent some time with the 1st grade Enrichment and it does really look like the year kind of builds. I noticed on a handful it would reference prior weeks readings. So, maybe should could really handle 1 topic a week......

So, even if I choose between SC2 and MP1 there is still that "can I do all of SCC and All of SC2?" I know I usually recommend choosing one. I'm almost tempted to just to SCC, but then we are missing the art cards and music..... A friend of mine (who lives 7 houses down), would like to do the MP1 with me, but I think we talked about only doing every other week.

Our schedule looks like this (it has been revised, Cheryl!) - Monday, the whole day is available, every other week my oldest has AHG in the evening. (I was thinking of working with my friend on the opposite Mondays) Tuesday is available all day, but gymnastics for the oldest two at 5. Wednesday my youngest (only) will go to a Montessori school from 9-12. Thursday we only have until noon as they will go to a gym/swim class. Friday will be our "off" day and Saturday is available all day (my husband works, we have no sports on this day). I need one afternoon somewhere to make healthy foods/baked goods/ etc, but that can be flexible. I had considered doing SCC stuff M-Th and then doing either MP1 or SC2 enrichment on Saturdays, along with any other work not completed for the week.? That gives me flexibility and one week if we take a day off, then Saturday will be a work day and no enrichment will be done (maybe we went to a pumpkin patch that week and would be considered enrichment for the week anyway@!)

Suggestions for routines? I currently do not plan to do anything formal with my 3 year old. I have all the R&S workbooks and do plan to spend 15-20 min intentionally with her. I have SCA, but that can be done upon waking, before bed or really anytime. I was crazy at one point and thought about SCB for her, but I honestly don't think she is ready. She's smart, but needs more fine motor development before she can even begin those R&S boos (other than Adventures with Books). She can fill in anyones poems or recitations, if they miss a line! She'll participate in the opening and Bible.......and I'd like to include a snack/recess everyday.
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Re: Doing SCC and SC2......

I'm feeling you should pick one and rock on with it. Part of the beauty of MP is its ease of use and cohesion. When you start picking this from one year and that from another year, you complicate scheduling and tracking for yourself and it gets all choppy.

When we have a house full of little people, keeping things easy is usually far more productive than piecing it together because it actually gets done. Personal experience there.

That's why I chose to just stick with SC2 and shelve all of my read alouds and enrichment for MP1. Hard choice, cuz that's a serious amount of investment just sitting in a box. But, I know I would fizzle out and feel like a drill Sargeant trying to get through it all. This next year I'm focusing more on a happy homeschool environment (read: not a stressed out mama).

I would lean towards MP1 if you have another family that wanted to do it with you. Maybe just ask if she's interested in a weekly deal instead of 2x a month. I agree, an every other week deal is not very useful.

My neurotypical will be doing SC2 with her big brother. Could she be challenged more with MP1? Sure. Will she still be learning new things and mastering great skills with SC2? Yep. Will this plan keep me a little saner while we introduce schooling 2 kids instead of just one? Absolutely. I'm tossing in SCB for the 3 year old (4 in Dec), too mostly to occupy her and keep her closer to supervision.

Can this whole plan get derailed? We all know that answer. But, I can reassess at Christmas and if they need to be split then we'll go down that path. You might start doing MP1 with your friend and she bales in 2 months or its just too quick for your kids and you bale in 2 months. No biggie. Regroup. Reassess. Dive in again.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Christine,

(Hi there! Cyber waves to my transportation buddy!) I'm feeling dense. What's "SCC"?

SusanP

Comment

Susan!! :-). SCC is One of the "readiness levels". Simply Classical C
        Christine

(2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
          I'm feeling you should pick one and rock on with it. Part of the beauty of MP is its ease of use and cohesion. When you start picking this from one year and that from another year, you complicate scheduling and tracking for yourself and it gets all choppy.

When we have a house full of little people, keeping things easy is usually far more productive than piecing it together because it actually gets done. Personal experience there.

That's why I chose to just stick with SC2 and shelve all of my read alouds and enrichment for MP1. Hard choice, cuz that's a serious amount of investment just sitting in a box. But, I know I would fizzle out and feel like a drill Sargeant trying to get through it all. This next year I'm focusing more on a happy homeschool environment (read: not a stressed out mama).

I would lean towards MP1 if you have another family that wanted to do it with you. Maybe just ask if she's interested in a weekly deal instead of 2x a month. I agree, an every other week deal is not very useful.

My neurotypical will be doing SC2 with her big brother. Could she be challenged more with MP1? Sure. Will she still be learning new things and mastering great skills with SC2? Yep. Will this plan keep me a little saner while we introduce schooling 2 kids instead of just one? Absolutely. I'm tossing in SCB for the 3 year old (4 in Dec), too mostly to occupy her and keep her closer to supervision.

Can this whole plan get derailed? We all know that answer. But, I can reassess at Christmas and if they need to be split then we'll go down that path. You might start doing MP1 with your friend and she bales in 2 months or its just too quick for your kids and you bale in 2 months. No biggie. Regroup. Reassess. Dive in again.

So, no SCC "extras" at all...hmmm, gonna have a hard time letting that one go! LOL But, I'm most certain you are correct, less things to worry about = doing the "few" things well....We'll just have to water color paint and make stuff out of play dough for fun, when the weather is less nice and we "need" things to do! :-) I still dream of my husband leading some sort of activity on Sunday afternoons (during the winter months), while I rest! :-) I'm sure he would do it, if I got everything together for it, actually!
          Christine

(2019/2020)
          DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Backing up a minute ...

Does your daughter need SC 2 for the phonics, writing, and spelling? If so, you'll need to base your daughter's placement on this key factor, rather than on your neighbor's child's placement. You have worked too hard -- and so has your daughter -- to attempt too much in the core areas.

I agree with Colomama. Choose one core for your daughter. Teach it well. But base your selection on your daughter's learning needs, which you now know to be quite different than those of a neighbor's child.

You might need to have a conversation with the neighbor to see where you could combine. If you only combine weekly, this would be too infrequently for reading, SC Writing, SC Storytime, or SC Spelling anyway.

So maybe she could teach her MP 1 Enrichment at her house once a week, and you could sit in or take a break? Then you could teach SC 2 Enrichment once a week at your house? I just would not abandon your entire testing-based educational plan for your 6yo.

Another thought:
            On Sundays, Dad could reread the Bible story with everyone and then do whatever he most enjoys with that story: act it out in a dramatic way with everyone taking a part, lead devotional discussions, research Bible land locations on the map or globe, or read the same story from another Bible storybook or from the actual Scriptures. Think "low planning, high yield" here. If you want to gain a rest time, maybe he could follow this each week with a trip to the park or playground. See what he would like to do. (Think back to Andrew Pudewa's talk: Do not expect him to sit and color pages or teach from your teacher's guide, if he is not "wired" this way! See what he enjoys, and plan only this.)

If you think all of the above is manageable with your newly revised schedule, I would like to see your son do SC C, if you can manage it AND if he wants to start learning to read. You really do not want to miss that window.

Fri vs. Sat off:
            If Saturday can be your day off for cooking, household chores, etc., I would lean in that direction. Then everyone has Sat/Sun without schoolwork. You can form good family bonds with the routine of Saturday as everyone-pitching-in day. With no pressure to teach, your mind is free to cook, organize, clean, enjoy a family outing, or rest. Speaking from experience, those "mindless" tasks can renew you for the week. This also models good mental health, for those in the house who lean over-anxious.

I have no idea why I wrote so much, except my house is very quiet with people sleeping in today. (That, and I feel protective of your daughter's reading and memory skills.)

More than anything, I agree with Colomama that you will be more successful in the end, if you do not attempt to rewrite or patchwork levels in core areas.

I hope that helps. Flesh out a plan, and we'll take a look!

Thanks-
            Cheryl

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
              Backing up a minute ...

Does your daughter need SC 2 for the phonics, writing, and spelling? If so, you'll need to base your daughter's placement on this key factor, rather than on your neighbor's child's placement. You have worked too hard -- and so has your daughter -- to attempt too much in the core areas.

I agree with Colomama. Choose one core for your daughter. Teach it well. But base your selection on your daughter's learning needs, which you now know to be quite different than those of a neighbor's child.

You might need to have a conversation with the neighbor to see where you could combine. If you only combine weekly, this would be too infrequently for reading, SC Writing, SC Storytime, or SC Spelling anyway.

So maybe she could teach her MP 1 Enrichment at her house once a week, and you could sit in or take a break? Then you could teach SC 2 Enrichment once a week at your house? I just would not abandon your entire testing-based educational plan for your 6yo.

Another thought:
              On Sundays, Dad could reread the Bible story with everyone and then do whatever he most enjoys with that story: act it out in a dramatic way with everyone taking a part, lead devotional discussions, research Bible land locations on the map or globe, or read the same story from another Bible storybook or from the actual Scriptures. Think "low planning, high yield" here. If you want to gain a rest time, maybe he could follow this each week with a trip to the park or playground. See what he would like to do. (Think back to Andrew Pudewa's talk: Do not expect him to sit and color pages or teach from your teacher's guide, if he is not "wired" this way! See what he enjoys, and plan only this.)

If you think all of the above is manageable with your newly revised schedule, I would like to see your son do SC C, if you can manage it AND if he wants to start learning to read. You really do not want to miss that window.

Fri vs. Sat off:
              If Saturday can be your day off for cooking, household chores, etc., I would lean in that direction. Then everyone has Sat/Sun without schoolwork. You can form good family bonds with the routine of Saturday as everyone-pitching-in day. With no pressure to teach, your mind is free to cook, organize, clean, enjoy a family outing, or rest. Speaking from experience, those "mindless" tasks can renew you for the week. This also models good mental health, for those in the house who lean over-anxious.

I have no idea why I wrote so much, except my house is very quiet with people sleeping in today. (That, and I feel protective of your daughter's reading and memory skills.)

More than anything, I agree with Colomama that you will be more successful in the end, if you do not attempt to rewrite or patchwork levels in core areas.

I hope that helps. Flesh out a plan, and we'll take a look!

Thanks-
              Cheryl

Oh, 110% doing SC2 for reading, writing, phonics, and math! :-) I was just debating the enrichment!!

I have to run, but I didn't want you to think I was debating MP1 - no, not going that route...only debating MP1 enrichment over SC2 enrichment!

I have more to say - also that hubby works Saturdays - so that is why we need to do school on Saturday! :-)
              Christine

(2019/2020)
              DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                Oh, 110% doing SC2 for reading, writing, phonics, and math! :-) I was just debating the enrichment!!
                Oh, good! Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Ok, so "just" doing SCC and SC2, I need some help formulating a schedule.

It goes something like this....

Wake up, breakfast, clean up, get dressed, etc. They were on scattered wake-ups, but they are all pretty close to one another now. My children need food immediately! :-)

The OT suggested we do some "movement" first thing, so I was planning a 15 or 20 min OT/exercise, then move to the opening.

Opening consists of: Prayer, calendar, show and tell (from SCC), manners/virtues, and I'll read the Bible Lesson.

Move to table: SC2 Bible plans/copywork - including the SC2 writing. Younger two color R&S Bible pages or other religious coloring pages.

Youngest two "free play" while I work on SC2: phonics, spelling, and possibly reading with oldest. When we complete these things (maybe not all the reading), I move to working with my youngest for 15 or so min (numbers/letters) (I'm looking for something for oldest to do here - maybe the Core skills? That will not take 15). Move back to oldest for math lesson only (not workbook pages). (Son will basically have a lot of free time, but the 9:30-10:15ish hour are not his finest!)

Break for recess/snack

After recess/snack work with son on letters/numbers. (Oldest can do math workbook) - Then complete any reading not done with oldest.

Lunch - clean up - read aloud (alternate SCC and SC2?)

I think the only things left are the SCC items - activity/craft, poetry, literature/language (music /games) and then the SC2 wonder, beauty and imagination. - this still seems like a lot to do..?? maybe it won't take as long as it looks?

Oh wait, there is also cursive to be done..and that little animal coloring book! (I think originally, I was thinking maybe they would be done while I prep lunch, to the "music" suggested in the manual)

My kids also need to do a nebulizer treatment - hmm...ok, can do the read aloud while they do the treatments..(10 min a kid).

On Thursdays there is no "after lunch" time though. (they will have their gym/swim class).

There is time on Fridays, for a "little" something - we just have a class from 11-12:30. They will need a large snack at 10...so we really only have from probably 8:30-10 - if we choose to do no school on Saturdays. I can't imagine us feeling like doing more school when we get home (this could be the baking/cleaning time, possibly?). They attend an "atrium" (Catechesis of the Good Shepard) and in just 1 school year has worked wonders on my oldest. This year all 3 get to go at the same time!!!!!! :-)

The one thing I forgot here is that my oldest probably needs an additional 30 min a day for her work on her First Holy Communion as well. We may do the Bible studies only 2 days and the FHC prep the other two days. (although, I would follow the writing for all 4 days - so some Bible would still be covered daily)

P.S. - I did ask my husband what he might "like" to do on Sunday afternoons...he said he would be willing to do some of the "fun" stuff from the lesson plan. He is actually pretty detail oriented and would follow a plan...to the "T"!

The other thing to take into consideration is my husband's day off during the week - I feel like we need to keep the morning routine, but we would have the afternoons to do something as a family (which is why I think we really need to school on Saturday) - the trouble is his day off is not the same every week. It is rotating...so this week it is Wed, next is Thur, then Fri &Sat together, then that next week he actually works 6 days....then it is Monday, then Tuesday, etc.. etc.

I'm just feeling like there isn't enough "margin" in the day.....but I could be overlooking some combo areas!

Lastly, somewhere in here "I" need to exercise and I feel like we REALY need a quiet hour, which it seems like there is no time for either?
                  Last edited by howiecram; 07-20-2016, 03:25 AM.
                  Christine

(2019/2020)
                  DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Remember that the fifth day in SC2 is lighter than the rest of the week. So, you have some wiggle room there.

I'm thinking of doing a yoga video as part of our morning routine. Start with a little movement, just like you guys.

Remember that you can do the read alouds, especially from SCC as bedtime reading if needed.

Dad might like enrichment, but it depends on how crafty he is for SC C.

DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)

We've completed:

Comment

Remember that the fifth day in SC2 is lighter than the rest of the week. So, you have some wiggle room there.

I'm thinking of doing a yoga video as part of our morning routine. Start with a little movement, just like you guys.

Remember that you can do the read alouds, especially from SCC as bedtime reading if needed.

Good point on read alouds at bedtime! Hubby is actually crafty!!!! :-)
                      Christine

(2019/2020)
                      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

We walk the dog in the morning. It forces everyone to get dressed; we get some outside time (before it's BLAZING HOT); they get wiggles out, exercise in; and the dog gets walked.

I (we) started doing body weight exercises a few days ago. From "You Are Your Own Gym". It's basically calisthenics -- but VERY effective. (My legs are still sore from a workout the day before yesterday!) It was developed by a guy who trains Special Forces for the field. The concept is really stripped down to enable a soldier to be able to train anywhere they are under any circumstance with whatever is on hand. It's a $4.99 app for your phone with no equipment, weights, steps or extra stuff to buy, no recurring fees, and you can workout from 2 to 40 minutes. There are beginner, intermediate and advanced levels; a warm up and cool down; tracking and reminders; and the whole thing is guided. I don't usually recommend apps (they're typically cheesy, not useful or larded up with in-app purchases). But this one is actually worth it. The kids can easily do it with you (if you... uh... can't get them to leave you alone *wink*).

Bodyweight Training: You Are Your Own Gym by Hard Coded Fitness, LLC
                        https://appsto.re/us/SgQ2y.i
                        Last edited by Anita; 07-20-2016, 06:50 AM.
                        Boy Wonder: 10, MP2/SC4 (Special Needs)
                        Joy Bubble: 8, MP2 (Special Needs)
                        Snuggly Cowboy: 6, MPK
                        Sweet Lightness: 2, Reverse-Engineering Specialist

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
                        ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

This looks good, Christine!

If you move one set of read-alouds/enrichment to bedtime and perhaps Sunday afternoon, you could have the others to begin your rest time. We often did this: lunch, read-alouds, then everyone in own rooms for quiet time. Anyone not quiet would need to ... (have a consequence that still allows you to rest).

For your own exercise, you might either combine with the kids (walk/bike/swim) or experiment with your own earlier bedtime to allow you to exercise more vigorously on your own before everyone wakes up. Or both!

You'll need to adjust as you go, after you see how long each subject takes, but this looks like a good plan to begin the year. You start soon, correct?

Comment

Started putting our tentative schedule together. Actually wrote out what I will combine the kids for. Getting a little nervous how to squeeze it all in.

My littlest will go to 3 hours of away preschool monday, tuesday, and wednesday, but i haven't heard whether that will be morning or afternoon yet. The older 2 will go to PE and music Monday thru Thursday for 1 hour a day, but I don't have an assigned time yet. I could only be so lucky for them to overlap in some way.

My MP schedule goes from 8 to 230 already without their PE and music or travel time scheduled in. Yikes. Need to breathe through this.

We've completed:

Comment

Started putting our tentative schedule together. Actually wrote out what I will combine the kids for. Getting a little nervous how to squeeze it all in.

My littlest will go to 3 hours of away preschool monday, tuesday, and wednesday, but i haven't heard whether that will be morning or afternoon yet. The older 2 will go to PE and music Monday thru Thursday for 1 hour a day, but I don't have an assigned time yet. I could only be so lucky for them to overlap in some way.

My MP schedule goes from 8 to 230 already without their PE and music or travel time scheduled in. Yikes. Need to breathe through this.
                              Yes, my calculations have us going 8-3ish as well, but that does include the movement time, recess, lunch, quiet time. My kids have probably had far too much "free time". We will have to build up to an hour for quiet... Probably starting with just 15 min and me sitting in hallway ushering them back in their rooms / open to suggestions on consequences for not staying in room!
                              Christine

(2019/2020)
                              DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Working...
                              X