Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Planning for 8th Grade/Update on Ana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning for 8th Grade/Update on Ana

It's been a busy year and I'm just now sitting down this summer to browse forums and really sort out our plans for the upcoming year! If you don't remember from before, I posted about Ana, our newly adopted daughter, a few times before when she was our foster daughter and again last year.

Ana's been with us for almost 3 years now and adopted for 2 years We have four other bio kids who are now in 3rd, Kindergarten, Preschool, and an 11 month old girl. Ana has several disabilities mostly summed up in an intellectual disability and hearing impairment. My 3rd grader is advanced and working ahead of everyone. My upcoming Kindergartener is bright but dyslexic so I'll be doing Orton Gillingham with him like I did with Ana. My preschooler shows no signs of dyslexia so she'll likely tag along with the Kindergartener for reading instruction.

Last year we made good progress in some areas but lackluster progress in others.

In Reading, Ana finished Barton Level 4 and is halfway through Level 5. Effectively she now knows closed syllables, open syllables, units, most vowel teams, and is halfway through learning the prefixes and suffixes. Her comprehension is still low but it has improved. She can consistently understand 1st and 2nd grade texts and answer questions about them. She reads and re-reads a Classic Starts version and the original version of Anne of Green Gables but is unable to answer questions about it. It's her favorite book and I'm not sure why she's unable to comprehend much and yet loves it so much? A good problem but perplexing to me.

In Math she finished Math U See Gamma and is halfway through Math U See Delta, which focuses on division. MUS has been a good fit in that her understanding of math has improved as well as her math fact fluency, but because it only introduces one topic at a time she has forgotten anything she ever covered in public school math about fractions or decimals or whatever. I want her to keep going in MUS because I see it working for her but I might see if there's a way I can build in some spiral review during the mornings where she could keep up all her skills. If she doesn't practice a skill she forgets it all too easily.

In History we did a notebook study of the 50 states. We're still finishing it up this summer but that has been good. We also used some songs to memorize states and capitals and she went from knowing 4 out of 50 states to knowing 31 out of 50!

In Science I tried to find an open-and-go textbook style thing I could do with a baby in tow but never did and so science was a bit of a bust. We did raise butterflies from caterpillars and we did some cooking work but not as much as we should have.

In Writing, Ana is now able to write in mostly complete sentences though her punctuation is sometimes nonexistent, lol! Her handwriting is quite nice and print and cursive now. Also, because she can write cursive she is now able to read cursive which is a blessing because grandparents often write in cursive for her birthday cards!

She has memorized the Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, and has mostly memorized the Apostles Creed. We were able to go through the basic stories of creation and the stories of Jesus. She made her first confession and first communion this year which was awesome to see! Confession was interesting with her writing/speaking/memory difficulties. What I found worked was to utilize what she had learned in Barton with phrases and structure her confession like that and base it off the 10 commandments and have her write things out before going in so she'd remember. So she'd do for example: who phase (I), did what phrase (stole a pencil), where phrase (at my friend's house). That's a made up example of course but it is the structure i gave her to privately list her own sins out in a way that wasn't overwhelming. Our priests are fantastic and did her confession face to face so she could lipread and were very good at putting her at ease.

My plans for the coming year for Ana are as follows:

Language Arts: Barton Reading and Spelling 5 and 6
    Learn to write a good paragraph
    Use Visualizing and Verbalizing program to improve her comprehension and build a foundation for her to increase her vocabulary
    Math: Math U See Delta and Epsilon
    some sort of spiral review (ideas???)
    History: American History utilizing chapter books and picture books (all above a 3rd grade level will be read aloud by me)
    Timeline
    Finish memorizing states and capitals
    Science: Memoria Press Second Grade Enrichment Read Alouds OR MP Simply Classical Level 2 Read Aloud Set (any input here?)
    Nature Journal
    Religion: Study bible stories & make an illustrated bible notebook by alternating copyworb and narrating and illustrating the stories.
    Memorize Apostles and Nicene Creeds and 2 common hymns from church

So, to the questions:

-- What math might be good to do as a morning review/spiral?
    -- Which science/enrichment package would you recommend? Her Academic Knowledge of Science/History tested at a K.0 level 3 years ago but that hasn't been tested since. She has very little background knowledge in general and her vocabulary is at about the level of a 6-7 year old.

Re: Planning for 8th Grade/Update on Ana

With little ones entering reading instruction, you'll want something efficient (i.e., combined/integrated) for Ana. MP/SC is all about efficient teaching!

Here are some ideas to consider:

Composition, Punctuation, Science, Vocabulary, Comprehension
    This new resource might work well for all of the above: Simply Classical Writing Read-Aloud with companion set.

Your younger children could listen to the read-alouds too. Then Ana could have her comprehension/composition time with the Writing book. We included science books with story books, because so many of our students need to boost general knowledge and vocabulary with both non-fiction and fiction selections. Even though she can write reasonably well, this will work those sentences to mastery. She will review and apply composition rules. Each sentence is linked directly to the read-aloud, so this helps comprehension and vocabulary. As an alternative, you could teach the read-aloud set with the accompanying oral questions, but I do think she might gain more from the writing exercises. In the book she can illustrate each story, which can help comprehension as she visualizes scenes in her mind.

Streamlined Bible
    If you wanted to add our Bible story edition, this would give you an open-and-go Bible notebook with nicely designed places for her illustrations. We include copywork, sentence building, and space for her own narration "captions" beneath her illustrations. The stories are themed, such as "Creation" and "Moses," so you can use any Bible story book. (Or coordinate with the Bible story book we use, because it can double as a reader.) Even though the skills are at a lower level, the cover is beautiful sacred art to help our older students know that this daily work is respected, important, and transcendent!

More on Science
    Remember from Simply Classical, the "Basket with a Timer" idea? While you're working with your two new readers, Ana could be assigned a Science Reflection time. During this time, she could choose from any of the science selections previously studied in the Read-Aloud set. You can throw in other introductory science books from your (undoubtedly large) homeschool library. If she spends time with science in this way, her knowledge and vocabulary will grow. She will be developing the habit of leisure time spent with books. Bonus: It requires little direct teaching on your end!

Arithmetic
    You could use R&S Blacklines from Arithmetic Level 2, if you wanted to teach a concept orally or on the board, and then allow her to work through the concept in writing. You might even accomplish this with the R&S Student books. For improved automaticity, you might want Speed Drills. See samples of R&S 1 or R&S 3 Speed Drills here. Milestone provides "look inside" options. They also have unique flash cards, such as "Before, After, & Between" Numbers. You might include these during your daily review. (We like R&S for mastery!)

History
    If you do not already have these planned and organized, SC Level 3 will provide substantive and often biographical American history read-alouds with accompanying, yet simplified, comprehension questions. Arranged chronologically for improved comprehension, this will be available as soon as we can finish! At the very least, we could provide the book list for you, when we have it ready.

Congratulations on all that you have accomplished with and for your daughter. I remember when she was "Daisy" so long ago. She is blooming!

Cheryl

Comment

I always appreciate when people take the time to ask about personal situations. I have now read two or three posts of yours (about Ana) that have been helpful for our family and my oldest daughter. In particular on this thread, what to do with my oldest (who needs me to be with her for all of her MP work) while I am working with the younger two. She is highly capable of spending 30 min - 1 hour by herself, but I too, am looking for "educational" opportunities during those 30 min of "school time". The suggesting of reading the MP K-2 science/enrichment books is excellent. We have most of the K and MP1 books and a handful of the MP2 book. We have all the cat and the hat learning library books, and my daughter scored low on her vocabulary!
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
        With little ones entering reading instruction, you'll want something efficient (i.e., combined/integrated) for Ana. MP/SC is all about efficient teaching!

This new resource might work well for all of the above: Simply Classical Writing Read-Aloud with companion set.

Your younger children could listen to the read-alouds too. Then Ana could have her comprehension/composition time with the Writing book. We included science books with story books, because so many of our students need to boost general knowledge and vocabulary with both non-fiction and fiction selections. Even though she can write reasonably well, this will work those sentences to mastery. She will review and apply composition rules. Each sentence is linked directly to the read-aloud, so this helps comprehension and vocabulary. As an alternative, you could teach the read-aloud set with the accompanying oral questions, but I do think she might gain more from the writing exercises. In the book she can illustrate each story, which can help comprehension as she visualizes scenes in her mind.

Streamlined Bible
        If you wanted to add our Bible story edition, this would give you an open-and-go Bible notebook with nicely designed places for her illustrations. We include copywork, sentence building, and space for her own narration "captions" beneath her illustrations. The stories are themed, such as "Creation" and "Moses," so you can use any Bible story book. (Or coordinate with the Bible story book we use, because it can double as a reader.) Even though the skills are at a lower level, the cover is beautiful sacred art to help our older students know that this daily work is respected, important, and transcendent!

More on Science
        Remember from Simply Classical, the "Basket with a Timer" idea? While you're working with your two new readers, Ana could be assigned a Science Reflection time. During this time, she could choose from any of the science selections previously studied in the Read-Aloud set. You can throw in other introductory science books from your (undoubtedly large) homeschool library. If she spends time with science in this way, her knowledge and vocabulary will grow. She will be developing the habit of leisure time spent with books. Bonus: It requires little direct teaching on your end!

Arithmetic
        You could use R&S Blacklines from Arithmetic Level 2, if you wanted to teach a concept orally or on the board, and then allow her to work through the concept in writing. You might even accomplish this with the R&S Student books. For improved automaticity, you might want Speed Drills. See samples of R&S 1 or R&S 3 Speed Drills here. Milestone provides "look inside" options. They also have unique flash cards, such as "Before, After, & Between" Numbers. You might include these during your daily review. (We like R&S for mastery!)

History
        If you do not already have these planned and organized, SC Level 3 will provide substantive and often biographical American history read-alouds with accompanying, yet simplified, comprehension questions. Arranged chronologically for improved comprehension, this will be available as soon as we can finish! At the very least, we could provide the book list for you, when we have it ready.

Congratulations on all that you have accomplished with and for your daughter. I remember when she was "Daisy" so long ago. She is blooming!

Cheryl
        That writing resource looks great. How far in writing instruction does it go? For example it begins with punctuation and such, which is great, but how much grammar is covered towards the end....so I can get an idea of the pacing and scope?

The read-aloud selection to go with the writing would be way outside of our budget unfortunately. However, if I did the bible one then we wouldn't need to purchase a lot of additional books and it would fit nicely with my plans to study bible stories this year. With my husband being a former Lutheran pastor I'm sure you can imagine just how many bibles we have, haha!

I would very much like the book list for Simply Classical 3! I'm amazed at how quickly you all have been moving while still creating such quality programs. You might catch up to Ana's level pretty soon here. So far she's stayed just ahead of where the curriculum is currently. Might Simply Classical 4 be ready in time for next summer? If so it might ease my planning a great deal to have an already prepared and classical curriculum like that.

Comment

Streamlined Bible

More on Science

Arithmetic

History

Cheryl
          Will SC3 use the Little Stories for Great Americans? -(the book scheduled in the 2nd grade enrichment) - states and capitals? (or will that wait until Sc4?) - just curious!
          Christine

(2019/2020)
          DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Imagine.more,

SC Writing: Step-by-Step Sentences Book One focuses on these concepts and skills:
            -fragments vs. complete sentences
            -capitalization of first word
            -capitalization of pronoun "I"
            -ending punctuation
            -types of sentences
            -nouns
            -capitalization of proper (special name) nouns

These are found in every lesson with the goal of mastery by the end.

Because some of our students will master these before they finish the book, we provide an optional section entitled Delving Deeply into Sentences. This explores verbs, nouns, and their roles in sentence construction. Other optional concepts and skills in this book include punctuation for quotations, contractions, and possession. These can be introduced during the daily time, "Learn the Rules about Sentences," if the student is ready, but are not expected to be practiced to mastery.

If Ana is ready for even more grammar and composition, you could add SC Storytime Treasures. She would be able to read the accompanying storybooks herself, and you may already own most of them. In StoryTime, we target comprehension, composition, and grammar such as parts of speech, prefixes, verbs and verb tense (regular and irregular), as well as early rhetoric with Oration exercises. This is another open-and-go, integrated/combined resource to cover much deeply in less time.

Regarding the SC program development -- yes, we are trying hard to catch up to our older students. The need is evident. Teamwork makes this possible. When I finish writing with the help of existing MP resources already created by a skilled team, the book passes to a formatter/designer. As she works on this, I begin something new with the input of this forum, email requests, my own experience, HLS curriculum, and MP staff.

When formatting of the first book is finished, the book passes to copy editing and then moves to Tanya, Curriculum Director (and sharp editor), who always offers good input. After tweaking, the book moves to printing. By this time, I have finished something to send to formatting, and on it goes!

This allows us to move much more quickly than if any single person were trying to produce, and everything retains the MP/SC quality. (Probably more than you needed to know, but someone might find the process interesting!)

The key for production this year, for me, was declining most conferences. That allowed me to stay home, wake in the wee hours while children slept, and keep writing.

Re Bible books -- your husband may be familiar with rhe original Arthur M. Gross Bible story book, CPH, A Child's Garden of Bible Stories. We teach from the newer edition, but the original is a gem too.

Last, re SC 4 -- SC 3 is still in progress, but, yes, I hope so!

Thanks-
            Cheryl

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
              Will SC3 use the Little Stories for Great Americans? -(the book scheduled in the 2nd grade enrichment) - states and capitals? (or will that wait until Sc4?) - just curious!

Christine,

In SC 3, we save Little Stories for the 8-week extension. (We go further chronologically in SC 3 American History than Little Stories covers.)

We will teach states and capitals in SC 3, but not yet with the full MP program.

Look for more to come in the months ahead!

Cheryl

Comment

Imagine.more,

SC Writing: Step-by-Step Sentences Book One focuses on these concepts and skills:
                -ending punctuation
                -types of sentences
                -nouns

Because some of our students will master these before they finish the book, we provide an optional section entitled Delving Deeply into Sentences. This explores verbs, nouns, and their roles in sentence construction. Other optional concepts and skills in this book include punctuation for quotations, contractions, and possession. These can be introduced during the daily time, "Learn the Rules about Sentences," if the student is ready, but are not expected to be practiced to mastery.

If Ana is ready for even more grammar and composition, you could add SC Storytime Treasures. She would be able to read the accompanying storybooks herself, and you may already own most of them. In StoryTime, we target comprehension, composition, and grammar such as parts of speech, prefixes, verbs and verb tense (regular and irregular), as well as early rhetoric with Oration exercises. This is another open-and-go, integrated/combined resource to cover much deeply in less time.

Regarding the SC program development -- yes, we are trying hard to catch up to our older students. The need is evident. Teamwork makes this possible. When I finish writing with the help of existing MP resources already created by a skilled team, the book passes to a formatter/designer. As she works on this, I begin something new with the input of this forum, email requests, my own experience, HLS curriculum, and MP staff.

When formatting of the first book is finished, the book passes to copy editing and then moves to Tanya, Curriculum Director (and sharp editor), who always offers good input. After tweaking, the book moves to printing. By this time, I have finished something to send to formatting, and on it goes!

This allows us to move much more quickly than if any single person were trying to produce, and everything retains the MP/SC quality. (Probably more than you needed to know, but someone might find the process interesting!)

The key for production this year, for me, was declining most conferences. That allowed me to stay home, wake in the wee hours while children slept, and keep writing.

Re Bible books -- your husband may be familiar with rhe original Arthur M. Gross Bible story book, CPH, A Child's Garden of Bible Stories. We teach from the newer edition, but the original is a gem too.

Thanks-
                Cheryl
                That was a very interesting read on how you construct a level! :-)
                Christine

(2019/2020)
                DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6

Previous Years
                DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)

Comment

Imagine.more,

-ending punctuation
                  -types of sentences
                  -nouns

Thanks-
                  Cheryl

Thank you for the details on the Simply Classical Writing. I think Ana would be one that would benefit from it and might move easily through it to the next level but it's hard to say for sure. Either way it sounds like it's my top option at the moment.

That's fascinating how you manage to produce so many levels (it seems like 2-3 per year). It absolutely makes sense, you guys have a lovely little system going there with everyone focusing on what they do best and delegating the rest to others! I'll be keeping an eye out for the SC4 next spring when I start planning 9th grade.

Comment

Working...
                  X