Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Placing 11 yr old

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placing 11 yr old

I am asking this here, but if needed, I can put it on the main board. I thought some of you might better understand.

My son struggles with "school" (always homeschooled). After too many years of struggles and battles, we had him evaluated last year. He is above level in reading, reading comprehension, and logic but at or below level in everything else. He didn't show any LD. He is highly ADD (not hyperactive). His working memory, endurance, desire are low. He bores easily, especially when something is frustrating. He fights and argues about working most days. He LOVES good stories and reads lots. (However, because he lacks desire and endurance, he isn't reading classics. He reads to learn about science, history, Legos, comics, etc that are of his own interest.) We are coming from CM, so he can narrate, he has very basic grammar. He isn't great at copywork, but he loves to draw!

I need to get him spelling. I think he is about on a grade 3 level. He spells "what" as "whut" and "is" as "es", but he can spell book, cake, etc. because those where in his previous spelling books. I have my doubts that just using SWO will work. We've been through All About Spelling 1 and 2 and Apples and Pears A. I don't know what to try now.

Any other general ideas about kids like this or placement? I will be placing my 8 year old in MP3 and 4 year old in Jr. K.
    Michelle in Central Tx
    DS 12 (4A modified), Ds 9 (4M), DS 5 (K)

Re: Placing 11 yr old

Yes! Simply Classical Spelling Book Two will be a perfect fit. I'm just finishing Week 26 of 34 and will have the book ready to be edited, formatted, and printed. If you can wait a little bit, this should work well for you.

You can view the format through ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com, SC Spelling: Step-by-Step Words Book One.

In Book Two we continue the groupings of Key Words (those following phonetic patterns) and Words to Know (high-frequency sight words); however, we increase the length of the lists, encourage more complex Word Study, and provide for more frequent assessment than in Book One. He will encounter "what" and "is" in the Words to Know.

The program is largely oral/aural with multisensory techniques (i.e., little to fight! ).

Comment

My older kids (9, 11 and 12) were also at a third grade level in spelling and grammar despite previous work in both. Spelling I was never consistent with and when I was they just didn't retain it at all. Grammar they didn't retain despite my oldest getting 100's in nearly every assignment. This year we switched to MP's English Grammar Recitation I and my boys have done so well with it! They're not overwhelmed by the work (15 minutes tops daily) and even when the memory work scared them, they did it and then surprised themselves at how well they remembered it, lol. For memory work I simply have them read whatever they need to memorize three times each day and then review/recite it on Friday. (When we started this method, they were just told to read it three times each day and then they would eventually look at me and say "but Mom, I know it already!" If they really could recite it, we moved on. I didn't have a specific memory work recitation day at that point and they weren't ready for it at that point either).

All that to say that I would highly recommend EGR I!

For other subjects, I'll leave the recommendations to those more experienced than I with MP
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
      MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
      MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
      As above, plus:
      MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
      MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Cheryl, thank you. I will wait for Simply Classical Spelling Book Two. Book 1 looks great.

jen1134, thanks for the recommendation. I do see that while I hoped to make learning fun and easy, and he would like it to be fun and easy, he isn't learning enough. I need a new system that is efficient (I also work.), stream-lined, effective, etc. I think several programs from MP will get us there.
        Michelle in Central Tx

Comment

Originally posted by mymommy1 View Post
          Cheryl, thank you. I will wait for Simply Classical Spelling Book Two. Book 1 looks great.

jen1134, thanks for the recommendation. I do see that while I hoped to make learning fun and easy, and he would like it to be fun and easy, he isn't learning enough. I need a new system that is efficient (I also work.), stream-lined, effective, etc. I think several programs from MP will get us there.
          I made the same mistake here, but as I've challenged the kids more they seem to enjoy school more. I don't know if that's because of maturity, more structure, the materials or what, but it's worked!

A lot of us on the forums work in addition to homeschooling, so you're in good company with that. Many use a year round schedule so that they can have the efficiency, structure AND depth of MP within the limits of what can be accomplished in a day when outside work/home-based business is involved. We're switching to this next year ourselves.
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
          MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
          MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
          As above, plus:
          MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
          MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Update and more help needed: I started Spelling Workout B with him. I'm pretesting each week and teaching what he misses. Sometimes he misses one word, sometimes 3. It's always the weird things like "said". He is almost done with Math 4! He can compose a sentence, I write he, he copies it in cursive! I'm still struggling with what to do for him. I want him to get the basics, but also, to honor his different learning style.

I think I'll do what Jen said and try EGR I, at his pace, hopefully a bit faster than scheduled. I'm leaning to trying 6M with him, but worry that he will struggle or hate it. I have another son that I want to start in 3A (or 3M). Should I do CS I with both of them? What about States and Capitals? I think my 6th grader would prefer to do Geo II, but I worry with working that I can't run three cores (6M, 3A, JrK).

Maybe I just need some encouragement from moms whose kids struggle that it can be done or should be. Also, I know many of you do more than 3 cores, so do you combine for any part of those?
            Michelle in Central Tx

Comment

Hi there! I have struggling students and am looking at multiple cores next year--5M, 3A, and JrK (need to change my signature below because I realized on Box Day that 4 cores would definitely not happen!!).

I have to start with the expectation that the plans will not be followed completely. Although next year will be our first full MP core year, I've done other programs with my kids and we always have to combine some subjects for sanity.

For JrK, I just bought the manual for my own inspiration. I'll focus on a letter and number a week, good read alouds and a daily workbook time, ideally with me but sometimes with an older sibling. Also, my 4 year old is my most workbooks-please let me do school--child ever. If it was any of my other kids, I'd wait until age 5 to do anything formal.

For my older kids, it's combine wherever possible. It will be nice to have one child using the curriculum manual (3rd grade daughter, 3A), but since my two oldest kids have special needs and can't work as independently as NT kids, I can't hand them their grade level manual. I ordered the editable lesson plans and plan to type out the first 6 weeks before we start the year and then do a month at a time.

Since my special needs kids are my oldest, I combine by putting the older with a younger sibling at the same level. My 13 year old son with Aspergers is writing at the same level as my 10 year old with ADHD, so they do classical comp. together. For both boys, I type from their dictation and they only write the final paragraph (they do write the shorter exercises in the book).

That same 10 year old also has dyslexia and spells and reads at the same level (more or less) as his 8 year old NT sister. So they are doing all other Language Arts and workbooks (3A) together. I did choose the 4M lit package for him because the 3rd grade lit was a little too young for him. Is your son dyslexic? If so, check out Learning Ally, an incredible resource of audiobooks for those with a medical diagnosis of dyslexia or visual impairment. I'll ask my son to read some of the books out loud, some silently, and for some use Learning Ally (which has highlighted text to follow along on a device with the audiobook).

I'd say put your son with his younger brother for any subject where you know he can't do it at least mostly independently, especially since you have several younger kids.

We are doing Christian Studies 1 as a family, including my 13 year old. The Bible is rich at any level (I'm planning to read the Bible straight, not GCB). We do one family read aloud at a time, and one audiobook in the car--I'll choose them from the various core lists. I'm sure even families with multiple NT kids don't do lots of multiple read alouds.

I'm relieved my daughter at least can follow the 3A manual. If either of my special needs boys were my only child, I am sure they would be able to start at a higher level core, or even grade level, if I could sit with them for the entire day in peace and quiet. I have to assume the other benefits of having siblings outweigh my limitations of time!!

Hugs to you! I was just saying to my husband last night that I am afraid I won't be able to keep up this year! It's just a lot (not MP, it's a lot because of their needs no matter what the program!).
              Catherine

2019-20
              DS16, 10th
              DS13, 7th
              DS11, 6th
              DD11, 6th
              DS7, 1st
              DD4, JrK
              DS 17 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
              2 in classical school

Comment

Originally posted by mymommy1 View Post
                Update and more help needed: I started Spelling Workout B with him. I'm pretesting each week and teaching what he misses. Sometimes he misses one word, sometimes 3. It's always the weird things like "said". He is almost done with Math 4! He can compose a sentence, I write he, he copies it in cursive! I'm still struggling with what to do for him. I want him to get the basics, but also, to honor his different learning style.

I think I'll do what Jen said and try EGR I, at his pace, hopefully a bit faster than scheduled. I'm leaning to trying 6M with him, but worry that he will struggle or hate it. I have another son that I want to start in 3A (or 3M). Should I do CS I with both of them? What about States and Capitals? I think my 6th grader would prefer to do Geo II, but I worry with working that I can't run three cores (6M, 3A, JrK).

Maybe I just need some encouragement from moms whose kids struggle that it can be done or should be. Also, I know many of you do more than 3 cores, so do you combine for any part of those?

SC Spelling Book Two is being proofed even now. It should be available relatively soon. I still think it will be a better fit for him, especially with the pacing of sight words. In the meantime, make flash cards for his missed SW B words. Review these daily, but no more than 5-10 minutes each day. You can make game cards of these by pairs (Spelling Go Fish, Memory) for extra review. Focus especially on those sight words.

Another tip: Be sure to omit those visually scrambled SW sections of words whenever they appear. You might even cover them with lightweight construction paper. As mentioned in the MP guides, these are not helpful for many of our children with learning challenges.

Re history and classical studies:
                You can combine for CS I and States & Capitals. If you have time, and if he is interested in Geo II, he might be able to complete some of this independently with a class you could call "Advanced History and Geography," after you finish your combined States & Capitals lessons. This might appeal to him. Just watch his copying for spelling!

As for encouragement:
                Yes! It can and should be done. You are doing the right thing. The teaching is only for a season. The benefits last a lifetime.

Thanks-
                Cheryl

Comment

Originally posted by CatherineS View Post
                  Hugs to you! I was just saying to my husband last night that I am afraid I won't be able to keep up this year! It's just a lot (not MP, it's a lot because of their needs no matter what the program!).
                  I think you've made great suggestions - combine for Christian Studies, read-alouds. I'll probably combine for Greek Myths and then have DS1 listen to the audio of FMOG a few times during the year. They do separate skills areas. He wants to do States with brother, but probably because he knows some! His only dx is ADD, but we get audios at the library and audible.

Thanks for your thoughts!
                  Michelle in Central Tx

Comment

Cheryl, I'm thankful for all your advice and taking it to heart. I only wish you had SC level 6 or something done! No pressure though! It's awesome to see such a resource for families, and I'm glad that you and MP are filling such a need.
                    Michelle in Central Tx

Comment

Working...
                    X