Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Target Release Date for SC Level 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Target Release Date for SC Level 2

Tanya says if all goes well, SC 2 will release mid-April! This level, like the others, will be fully customizable for all students with uneven skills.

Within SC 2, we will offer these stand-alone components as separate options for purchase:

Simply Classical StoryTime Treasures

Blossoming readers need more than practice; they need to discover the riches of a good story. With simplified exercises in word study, composition, and oration, these delightful guides provide a joyful introduction to children's literature. Teach essential language arts skills, as your students encounter stories of tenderness, bravery, and kindness. Adapted from the Memoria Press original for struggling learners or students with special needs, this book is subtitled "A Guide to Reading Deeply and Writing Skillfully through a Collection of Four Stories." With more visuals, fewer writing exercises, and more incremental questions to foster comprehension, these four stories begin second semester after boosted phonics instruction first semester:

Little Bear
    Little Bear's Visit
    Caps for Sale
    Blueberries for Sal

Simply Classical Writing series

“What should I write? I don't know what to say.” The so-called progressive approach leaves beginning writers ill-prepared for the art of writing. The Simply Classical Writing: Step-by-Step series combines copybook, grammar rules, and composition into one carefully-sequenced series of explicit instruction. Students receive necessary tools to practice early writing skills with confidence. Color-coding within each lesson provides multi-sensory encounters with capitalizing, punctuating, and editing.

Sentences link to beautiful stories and engaging non-fiction. Teach this “open-and-go” series within the framework of the Simply Classical Curriculum, or teach on your own with the accompanying book list (included). Purchase one, or obtain both for additional practice:

Read-Aloud Edition
    Bible Story Edition

Simply Classical Spelling: Step-by-Step Words

The Simply Classical Spelling series gives your struggling writer an incremental, multi-sensory approach with an oral/aural emphasis. Assisting auditory processing, working memory, and concentration, this simple method fosters attention to detail.

Words link to Simply Classical Curriculum lessons, but the "open-and-go" program can also be taught separately. Each week includes targeted Word Study exercises to promote linguistic awareness, cognitive flexibility, and improved spelling skills.

If your student finds traditional spelling workbooks overly focused on writing, consider this new oral program as your spelling alternative.

Simply Classical Copybook Series

Copybook is the time-honored activity in which students copy Scripture, maxims, poetry, and other literature selections. Copybook can assist children with special needs, even those who might otherwise find writing difficult. Through Simply Classical Copybook, students can strengthen penmanship, spelling, punctuation, vocabulary, fine-motor skills, and memory, while they learn habits of accuracy, neatness, and patience. Even more, they can receive truth and comfort from Holy Scripture. Shorter selections help accommodate for writing difficulties while providing the full benefits of copybook exercises for all beginning writers.

Simply Classical Copybook Book One
    Simply Classical Copybook Book Two - Manuscript
    Simply Classical Copybook Book Two - Cursive

Cheryl

ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com
    - look for SC 2 this spring, SC 3 possibly this summer

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

Re: Target Release Date for SC Level 2

All of this sounds wonderful -- very exciting! My only apprehension is the Storytime Treasures -- I'm almost wincing. I'm so afraid this will be too hard for Winston. His spelling and copybook will be perfect. And his writing will likely be proficient. This is the only part of language arts that I already know going in will be a challenge every single day. Can you tell me:

*Are students asked to read these four stories independently? Or is this a read-aloud/read-together venture? If the former -- YIKES! If the latter -- okay, we will definitely give it a shot. We already own and read all these titles and they are well-loved. Can you provide a sample sheet of SC-STT for reference? (If not right this second, that's totally fine!)

*I realize the first half of SC2 will contain "boosted phonics", which greatly relieves my mind. Is this first half of SC2 where the "Moose Moments" titles will come in (as listed in the tentative SC2 book list)?

*We have begun reading aloud for at least an hour every day, replacing TV (the limited amount the children ever got) and sometimes even at the expense of "school", since Winston really needs to learn listening skills and engagement with books. We have been reading to him since he was born -- literally. But as he has gotten older, reading time has been less about enjoyment for him and more about frustration and effort -- he doesn't understand a lot of what I am reading and he knows he's going to have to engage and sit still and he doesn't "prefer" that. (The other children LOVE it.) So I am trying to "rewire" this association and boost his receptive skills at the same time by amping up our "fun reading" sessions. I even downloaded Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit Tales on Audible to listen to in the car. ($0.97 on Amazon if anyone is interested.)
    We just started FSRB and he's doing GREAT. He knows all the blends, sight words and phonics you can throw at him. And words he doesn't know ("pit", for example) I define for him. He's learning a lot and is catching up. But I worry he will not be ready for SC-STT when the time comes (which is silly, I realize -- worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet). Is there anything I can do to give this a better chance of success? He lives in a VERY language and literature-rich environment, so we have every advantage possible there. And we school year-round.

Talk to me
    Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
    Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
    Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
    The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
    ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

I'm so excited! I've been stalking here to see when level 2 will be released. I'm trying to remember how to best figure out if this is truly the level for my kiddos. I think maybe I already did this and felt pretty good about it? Ligia & Ervin are still reading around 1st grade level and I've been doing review/extra practice in 2nd grade Rod & Staff. I have Dara started Memoria's kindergarten in the next month or two and know that based on her prek Memoria, my kiddos will all be drawn to some of her reading (and vice versa). (My 8 1/2 year old is a whole other ball game as he's still showing more resistance to doing his studies than my 2 with special needs and my 5 year old.)

Comment

For Anita,

You wrote ...
        All of this sounds wonderful -- very exciting! My only apprehension is the Storytime Treasures -- I'm almost wincing. I'm so afraid this will be too hard for Winston. His spelling and copybook will be perfect. And his writing will likely be proficient. This is the only part of language arts that I already know going in will be a challenge every single day. Can you tell me:

*Are students asked to read these four stories independently? Or is this a read-aloud/read-together venture? If the former -- YIKES! If the latter -- okay, we will definitely give it a shot. We already own and read all these titles and they are well-loved. Can you provide a sample sheet of SC-STT for reference? (If not right this second, that's totally fine!)

He will be fine! He's only in FSR B right now, so of course Little Bear looks daunting. He will receive much instruction in the remaining SC 1 & SC 2-first semester before SC 2- second semester. Much incremental teaching with plenty of hand-holding and diving deeply into phonics, phonograms, and fluency skills. Do not worry. He really will be fine. We even review all difficult words ahead of time (twice) in SC-STT. The selections are short and engaging. You'll see. All will be fine.

And if for some reason he could not read with the instructions provided, you could modify by reading aloud each page and then have him take a turn with the same page. No samples available right now, but they'll come. Even when they do, no fretting allowed. He may even enjoy the adventure!

*I realize the first half of SC2 will contain "boosted phonics", which greatly relieves my mind. Is this first half of SC2 where the "Moose Moments" titles will come in (as listed in the tentative SC2 book list)?

Yes.

*We have begun reading aloud for at least an hour every day, replacing TV (the limited amount the children ever got) and sometimes even at the expense of "school", since Winston really needs to learn listening skills and engagement with books.

Watch this. Homeschoolers love to read aloud, and it's important. However, this cannot be at the expense of teaching decoding, writing, and other needed skills. The daily-practice skills are harder. (Snuggling with a book is easier!) So keep reading, but also keep teaching.

We have been reading to him since he was born -- literally. But as he has gotten older, reading time has been less about enjoyment for him and more about frustration and effort -- he doesn't understand a lot of what I am reading and he knows he's going to have to engage and sit still and he doesn't "prefer" that. (The other children LOVE it.) So I am trying to "rewire" this association and boost his receptive skills at the same time by amping up our "fun reading" sessions. I even downloaded Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit Tales on Audible to listen to in the car.

Very good.

We just started FSRB and he's doing GREAT. He knows all the blends, sight words and phonics you can throw at him.

This is excellent! Congratulations!!

And words he doesn't know ("pit", for example) I define for him. He's learning a lot and is catching up. But I worry he will not be ready for SC-STT when the time comes (which is silly, I realize....).

Good. You're right. No need to worry about this at all.

Is there anything I can do to give this a better chance of success? He lives in a VERY language and literature-rich environment, so we have every advantage possible there. And we school year-round.

All of this will serve him very well. Just keep teaching daily too.

Honestly, I cannot WAIT for Winston to come to SC-STT! I really think he (and you) will love it. SC-STT was so much fun to create, and the designer added some truly delightful illustrations for our SC version.

Talk to me

Stay with his SC 1 lessons. Those little daily bits of motor memory, phonics skills, and vocabulary development will help him immensely as he enters SC 2!

Comment

Originally posted by HeatherB View Post
          I'm so excited! I've been stalking here to see when level 2 will be released. I'm trying to remember how to best figure out if this is truly the level for my kiddos. I think maybe I already did this and felt pretty good about it? Ligia & Ervin are still reading around 1st grade level and I've been doing review/extra practice in 2nd grade Rod & Staff. I have Dara started Memoria's kindergarten in the next month or two and know that based on her prek Memoria, my kiddos will all be drawn to some of her reading (and vice versa)....

SC 2 should be a good fit for Ligia & Ervin, even if they move more quickly through it. In SC 2, we offer Friday review for anyone who needs it in any subject. We also offer Friday "Delve Deeply" for students who can invest a little more time and effort into the week's lessons.

With your MP K for Dara, this all sounds like a very good plan for those three children, Heather!

Comment

If I did this correctly, here is the updated SC 2 Book List:

SC 2 Book List.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
              If I did this correctly, here is the updated SC 2 Book List:

[ATTACH]328[/ATTACH]
              WooHoo! And thanks for the rah-rah I always need that. (You would think I would be a *little* more sure of myself by now...) I honestly think it's just the fact that someone else -- a group of someone else's -- depends on my being able to teach them well that so concerns me. That, combined with the fact that so few teachers are tackling this type of education -- let alone with special needs kids. It's encouraging to hear, "You'll be JUST FINE." And "I'm excited!"

Well, if Cheryl says we can do it, we can do it (hahaha!). I know we can already in my heart. But you know -- nice to have a 'second'.
              Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
              Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
              Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
              The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
              ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Cheryl--

As I prepare to purchase Dara's k curriculum, I'm wondering if you think FSR E would be helpful to use with Ligia & Ervin as we wait for the release of Level 2? I have some other materials on hand for reading instruction but am always looking for reinforcement/support since they are still struggling with reading/phonics.

Heather

SC 2 should be a good fit for Ligia & Ervin, even if they move more quickly through it. In SC 2, we offer Friday review for anyone who needs it in any subject. We also offer Friday "Delve Deeply" for students who can invest a little more time and effort into the week's lessons.

With your MP K for Dara, this all sounds like a very good plan for those three children, Heather!

Comment

Cheryl--

As I prepare to purchase Dara's k curriculum, I'm wondering if you think FSR E would be helpful to use with Ligia & Ervin as we wait for the release of Level 2? I have some other materials on hand for reading instruction but am always looking for reinforcement/support since they are still struggling with reading/phonics.

Heather

Yes, very good idea! The new FSR E has eight lessons. That could be good timing!

The syllabus is shown here: FSR E Sample.

If you have time, you might also add an intro-to-phonics review with Core Skills: Phonics Book 1 (right-hand side, Individual Items). We begin Core Skills: Phonics Book 2 in SC 2. I like the visually uncluttered, "clean" presentation of phonics skills in these books.

Comment

Cheryl-- do you think I need the teacher's guide with the FSR 1?

thank you for your help

Heather

Yes, very good idea! The new FSR E has eight lessons. That could be good timing!

The syllabus is shown here: FSR E Sample.

If you have time, you might also add an intro-to-phonics review with Core Skills: Phonics Book 1 (right-hand side, Individual Items). We begin Core Skills: Phonics Book 2 in SC 2. I like the visually uncluttered, "clean" presentation of phonics skills in these books.

Comment

I meant FSR E not 1. I assume I need the teacher's guide but not sure?

Cheryl-- do you think I need the teacher's guide with the FSR 1?

thank you for your help

Heather

Comment

You'll definitely want the Teacher's Guide for FSR E. In addition to having clear teaching instructions for each phonics lesson, you'll receive ready-to-ask comprehension questions.

Btw, this book is not easy. For example, oe and oa appear as vowel teams on the same page, as do ue and ui. A little tricky for our SC 1 and SC 2 kiddos. (We're saving it for after SC 2!)

And you're welcome.

I hope you can make it to the MP conference again this year. If you plan to come, be thinking about topics you would like to discuss.

Comment

Hmmm...that might be too frustrating for them right now(E). Maybe I should stick to getting the Core Skills book you mentioned instead to use as we wait for level 2. Thank you for sharing more specific info.! Has registration opened yet for the MP conference?
                          Thank you!

You'll definitely want the Teacher's Guide for FSR E. In addition to having clear teaching instructions for each phonics lesson, you'll receive ready-to-ask comprehension questions.

Btw, this book is not easy. For example, oe and oa appear as vowel teams on the same page, as do ue and ui. A little tricky for our SC 1 and SC 2 kiddos. (We're saving it for after SC 2!)

And you're welcome.

I hope you can make it to the MP conference again this year. If you plan to come, be thinking about topics you would like to discuss.

Comment

Scroll down the pages to view the entire sample: FSR E Sample Pages.

You can see ai/ay on the same page, early in the text. You also see a page with a long paragraph for reading, etc. This might be fine for your own children. See what you think.

(My mind is firmly in the skills of SC 1 and SC 2 right now, so I know our SC 1/SC 2 students will need a little more work before tackling this.)

Regarding registration: Yes! MP 2016 Teacher Training conference

I'm looking forward to meeting our SC forum regulars, visitors, and "lurkers!"

Thanks-
                            Cheryl

Comment

And now I have potatoes waiting to be placed in the oven for children waiting to be fed....

I'll check back in the morning for anything more. Good questions.

Thanks-
                              Cheryl

Comment

Working...
                              X