Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

SC Level C versus Jr. K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Level C versus Jr. K

I'm sorry if this has been asked. I tried searching and didn't come up with anything but that could be user error.

I was wondering the core differences between Jr. K and Level C.

Miss Kate (5, Down syndrome), probably like most kids (at least similar to my neurotypical kids), is kind of all over the place. She can still benefit greatly from the oral language work in level A. She can benefit from some of the later lessons in Level B (we own A & B), but she also would be well served by parts of Level C or Jr. K, especially the literature/read aloud (she has a great attention span for books and loves being read to). I'm looking to buy one or the other and put together a mixed Pre-K year for her this year (we've taken time off any formal work with her at all as her little brother joined the family back in the end of September). Thanks for any help.
    Brit

Catholic mom to five
    2019-2020:
    Ds '01 - College freshman: Thomas Aquinas College
    Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA Algebra 2, and a bunch of other stuff
    Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism
    Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - JrK with little brother and BOB books
    Ds '15 - JrK with big sister

Re: SC Level C versus Jr. K

Originally posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
    I'm sorry if this has been asked. I tried searching and didn't come up with anything but that could be user error.

I was wondering the core differences between Jr. K and Level C.

Miss Kate (5, Down syndrome), probably like most kids (at least similar to my neurotypical kids), is kind of all over the place. She can still benefit greatly from the oral language work in level A. She can benefit from some of the later lessons in Level B (we own A & B), but she also would be well served by parts of Level C or Jr. K, especially the literature/read aloud (she has a great attention span for books and loves being read to). I'm looking to buy one or the other and put together a mixed Pre-K year for her this year (we've taken time off any formal work with her at all as her little brother joined the family back in the end of September). Thanks for any help.

Welcome back!

Yes, the oral language in Level A provides a good supplement for all of the readiness levels.

I found this detailed comparison & contrast in an old thread:

Similarities -
    The book selections in MP JrK and Level C are almost identical.
    Both programs include the Memoria Press Alphabet Books and Number Books.
    Both intend to prepare the child for reading, writing, and early arithmetic.
    Both intend to develop a love of stories and a delight in books.
    Both intend to provide a structured, yet gentle introduction to learning.
    Both intend to preserve and enhance the wonder, joy, and playfulness of early childhood.

Differences -
    1) Level C offers more intentionally integrated subject matter. We recognize the benefits for the special-needs child of cross-teaching with repetition; consequently, the read-alouds, oral language exercises, fine-motor activities, poetry, games, devotions, and even the animal/science lessons correspond clearly to the letter-of-the-week!

2) Level C provides adapted reading comprehension questions for children whose oral language or reasoning abilities might be limited.

3) Level C charts include more visual cues. For example, we offer a "focused" alphabet chart with only those letters taught the first semester highlighted in bold to improve attention to detail.

4) Perhaps surprisingly, Level C adds a more challenging enrichment option in science and animal studies. This is included especially for the older student who loves to absorb facts but whose reading, writing, and math readiness abilities remain at a lower level. (My experiences with my son Michael, an Asperger-type child on the autism spectrum, influenced this addition. His intense inquisitiveness often outpaced a standard curriculum. Many moms with children on the autism spectrum will understand!) This optional 15-20 minute-a-day animal study is also designed to improve sustained attention and interest for any child without requiring a written response. For the child who does not have such higher-level non-fiction interests, this study can be omitted.

5) Level C allows more time for learning recitations and memorizing prayers with a slower progression and fewer items to learn by heart.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask. You can find a SC Level C book list here.

View the entire Level C package here. Note that, thanks to various requests, we now have individual items as well as customization.

Good to hear from you!

Cheryl

ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com

Comment

Thank you Cheryl! I couldn't even think about school for a few months there - five kids is definitely a bit more of a handful than four, especially with Kate and an infant. My poor ninth grader and I are playing catch-up in hopes of not getting too far off track.

I really appreciate your copying and pasting the reply. Level C is definitely the way to go. I figured it would be, but it's nice to see the differences. I have most of the read aloud books already; I've been slowly collecting the ones we didn't already own. Kate loves the Paul Galdone folk tales. And she'll usually let me "slip in" a new title between books she already likes.

I think once I order and get the teacher's guide, I'm going to go through all three levels, figure out where Kate needs to restart in each subject/category across the levels, and make myself some nifty spread sheet or list. Maybe we won't start until spring. LOL
      Brit

Catholic mom to five
      2019-2020:
      Ds '01 - College freshman: Thomas Aquinas College
      Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA Algebra 2, and a bunch of other stuff
      Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism
      Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - JrK with little brother and BOB books
      Ds '15 - JrK with big sister

Comment

I wish we would have found SCC 2 years ago when my oldest was 5. She wasn't quite ready for K, but the Jr. K wouldn't have seemed quite right either. In SCC, you will begin FSR book A, you won't do this in Jr. K. Also, SCC is laid out 4 days a week and Jr. k is only 2. (I've seen many moms spread it out over 4, but in your case having it already spread out will be less thinking for you!!) I think it is the PERFECt Kindergarten curriculum! It was exactly what I was looking for in a homeschool K curriculum (I just didn't know it!) It schedules things like play dough and water colors (thing you would probably do, but again you don't have to think!) :-)
        Christine

(2019/2020)
        DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
        DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Working...
        X