Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science

My son is 14 and I'm planning for high school. It's our first year of home schooling and I started him in Noeo Biology 2. He has always loved science and it's a little too high level/easy for him. The kicker is he can't read a science textbook by himself and struggles greatly with handwriting so I need an interesting program that I can read to him, has pictures or videos he can watch and have him answer questions orally. I need something harder, but not TOO much more! He especially loves experiments so I have looked at Noeo Chemistry 3 which has a lot of experiments - we were disappointed because I thought the Bio 2 class would have more hands on work. Any advice on high school science for kids with learning differences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Re: Science

I found something called "Great Science Adventures" by Common Sense Press. It's geared towards multi-level teaching k-8. That would allow you to easily adjust the difficulty and writing requirement. It's about a semester's worth of work per book.

It's science through lapbooking and hands on activities. Lots of different topics to choose from at a reasonable price. Basically, you read the instructional info aloud and then the student completes a portion of a lapbook. There are additional activities to choose from. At the end of the course, you have a notebook/ lapbook to review the course content.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

I wonder how he would do in our online chemistry class. You might want to look at it here: https://mpoacm.memoriapress.com/cata...gename=science. If it looks good to you, you can always call Scott Piland and talk with him about your son and the course.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
        I wonder how he would do in our online chemistry class. You might want to look at it here: https://mpoacm.memoriapress.com/cata...gename=science. If it looks good to you, you can always call Scott Piland and talk with him about your son and the course.

Tanya
        Thanks Tanya. You've also replied to some of my other questions and I appreciate your help. Will Memoria Press be at the Oklahoma Home School Convention? I would really like to see all the products. I'm very interested in them, but have been a little confused on how it all works together since a grade level package isn't appropriate for my son and the Simply Classical sets are below his level.

Comment

Hello.

We will have a representative, Michelle Tefertiller, in the Rainbow booth at the OCHEC convention. Is that the one you are talking about? Michelle would love to meet you and speak to you about our curriculum!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by limissc74 View Post
            My son is 14 and I'm planning for high school. It's our first year of home schooling and I started him in Noeo Biology 2. He has always loved science and it's a little too high level/easy for him. The kicker is he can't read a science textbook by himself and struggles greatly with handwriting so I need an interesting program that I can read to him, has pictures or videos he can watch and have him answer questions orally. I need something harder, but not TOO much more! He especially loves experiments so I have looked at Noeo Chemistry 3 which has a lot of experiments - we were disappointed because I thought the Bio 2 class would have more hands on work. Any advice on high school science for kids with learning differences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
            Good morning! This is your first year homeschooling? Has your son received any school testing or a recent formal evaluation? Results would be helpful in planning, if you have these to share.

You have many options for his high school science, including these:

1. Switch to an online class for science
            As Tanya mentioned, he might enjoy an online course, especially because he is accustomed to having a teacher (other than Mom). Mr. Piland and his teachers have found ways to adapt for students with learning difficulties. You can view the science options for next year here: 2016-2017 Science.

2. Continue with the curriculum you purchased, but supplement
            See Janice VanCleave's Biology Experiments for one possibility. This is written for reading levels lower than high school. You could even create his writing assignments from the lessons. You can add various science DVDs, if desired.

3. Bundle MP Science resources
            See the interesting selection of science materials here. Although they might say "5+" as a grade level, you can create high school courses by combining many of these resources. We can help you do this, if you would like. You would simply omit or lessen the writing portions. Conduct the courses orally. A bonus: As homeschoolers, many of us find that we learn just as much as our children, when we teach/learn alongside them! Although not "flashy," the straightforward approach of these resources often assists learning.

Remember that before MP classical Core or SC Curriculum existed, people taught by mixing and matching the resources they needed.
            This is how my own children benefited from MP resources. (This is the story.)

Because MP book covers are serious, not "babyish," you can teach from any resource he needs, no matter the level.

This is the general tip to remember when teaching content areas, such as history or science, with struggling learners:

Be sure to remediate (target the weaker areas of reading and writing), even while you accommodate for those weaker areas.

Here is another tip about teaching science to our struggling students, or to any student, especially those who enjoy science:

A frequent speaker at the Society for Classical Learning, Dr. E. Christian Kopff, tells the story of a university STEM professor who recently sought to improve his math and science courses for his students' future success in these areas. He inquired of top business leaders in the fields of math and science, "What do you most want my STEM students to know when they come to you?" The repeated answer, "I want them to know how to read, write, and speak."

You can create reading and writing exercises from his science courses, or you can "mix and match" from existing MP reading, writing, and penmanship programs for targeted remediation. These would accompany his science courses.

He can even begin Classical Studies, a program young men often appreciate to elevate the content of their studies in a way they never learned in school.

We can help you find the teaching resources that meets his needs. Everything can be individualized for him each semester and each year, so you can redeem the remaining time you have with him. We can work out a plan for you at an upcoming conference, here on the forum with input from others, or you can email me directly, cherylswope@memoriapress.com.

Thanks-
            Cheryl

Comment

It is my first year of home schooling. He came home in September and I wasn't able to spend a lot of time planning like I would've liked to. He had a psych. evaluation in December and I'm waiting on his results. He currently has OT for handwriting and sensory work. The last testing I have from his private school was the Woodcock Johnson in 2014. At that time (age 13) he had math calculation and academic skills of grade equivalent 2.4. I know he's so much brighter than those scores suggest. He loves history and science and can explain and recall facts amazingly well. I look forward to visiting with Memoria Press at the OK conference. I'm currently doing Barton with him and he's on Level 4. I believe this level will take us several months to conquer. I feel the pressure of the short time remaining with him to do everything possible to help him meet his potential. Cheryl - I loved your book!

Comment

Working...
              X