Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Grammar with and older kiddo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grammar with and older kiddo?

Grammar is not something we have covered much formally past the parts of speech with my oldest (almost 15) and she is feeling frustrated with this. She feels like she needs a better grasp.

Our main problem is that dd has a very strong non-verbal learning disorder and while she is incredibly gifted with language intuitively, interpreting anything chart like is nigh impossible..even the little chant charts give her a moments pause. Sooner or later at about a 4th grade level diagramming shows up in every grammar program we have looked at and she shuts down seeing that. She simply can not process it at this point. Part of it I think is an anxiety response because she could do it if I sat along side her and walked her through each problem but it would be very very oh so very slow. And being that she is such a quick reader and a 2E kid she gets very upset having to work with me. The fact that we have to do math this way when most every thing else is completely independent drives her up a wall. The time math takes is one of the reasons we never really got to grammar as a formal subject.

She has read dozens and dozens of books about grammar, everything our library has from picture book level up to adult level...anything that simply reads like a book. The deluxe transitive vampire' and pretty much everything by Gordon had her snorting and snickering for days...but she still feels like it is not 'real' grammar work just reading. So I am not sure if the whole diagramming situation is workable/helpful in a case like this. I see that there is diagramming in the R&S 8 book but is it the bulk of the work? I know it is solely used for the grammar section. Is textbook grammar work going to be essential for a kiddo with NLVD? Or an unnecessary frustration? Perhaps I am missing a simple approach.

She is studying Latin daily this year and has studied French and Spanish daily in years past and still works on them both once a week...I know she is getting grammar work there...anyhow I know a few of you have older dc so if anyone has any thoughts or insight it would be appreciated!
    Winter 2019 :
    DD - Graduated!
    DS - core 9 with remediation/support
    DD - core 6 with remediation/support
    DS - moving from SC to grade 4

Re: Grammar with and older kiddo?

The good news is that she wants to learn grammar more formally! You can work with this to her advantage.

If she prefers words to charts, perhaps the English Grammar Recitation program could be used successfully as a supplement for her. However, you could give her the option of reading through the course, rather than reciting each rule. Look at a sample of EGR's thorough compilation of formal grammar rules: English Grammar Recitation.

You could utilize this simple book in a number of ways:

1. As intended - with recitation (if she would enjoy this).
    2. Orally with Discussion and Practice - you could simply read through the book together. When she encounters something familiar, the item can be review. When she encounters something unfamiliar, you can discuss or write practice examples. For example, she might read a rule and then write her own sentence to reflect the rule. If you are comfortable teaching grammar, this could be an inexpensive way to give her a formal course.
    3. Using the EGR Student Books - to relieve her concern, your daughter could begin with the first book and work through the course. She could work much more rapidly than intended, because she would be reviewing, rather than memorizing, each rule. She might even enjoy this, because it might surprise her to realize how much she already knows! See a sample of Student Book One.

Working through these books with the EGR sequence might be just enough to ease her mind, give her formal grammar, and allow for reinforcement in her Latin lessons. (Of course, this will be maximized if she is learning from a grammar-based Latin course like FFL, rather than a grammar-flimsy immersion approach.)

What do you think?

A similar option would be reading through R&S Grammar at the level she would need. You could assign only the necessary exercises, as you go. This would likely require more participation on your part, so she doesn't feel swallowed up by the course. She would encounter diagramming, but this could be modeled on a white board, rather than required in her own writing.

Given your descriptions, she might prefer the more straightforward EGR approach.

Either way, I would respect her desire to learn grammar more formally! You can continue throughout her high school years.

Does that help?

Cheryl

Comment

Re: Grammar with and older kiddo?

Thank you yes good thoughts.
      My middle 2 are doing EGR 1 this year (my kiddo with ASD loves chanting the rules )and I think that may have been what piqued her interest.
      I was concerned she would be irritated offering her a "younger" book but I will ask and certainly going through it at a faster speed would be appropriate.
      She is at that age where she wants the experts if you will to tell her what to do rather than glean information from mom ha!
      I am glad she is wanting to start pushing past her struggles though after a summer and fall of frustration and not wanting to talk about.
      As always thank you for your input!
      Winter 2019 :
      DD - Graduated!
      DS - core 9 with remediation/support
      DD - core 6 with remediation/support
      DS - moving from SC to grade 4

Comment

Working...
      X