Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

2016: Sc 2 & 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anita
    replied
    Re: 2016: Sc 2 & 3

And then, of course, we must be sure not to talk in the "royal" way ourselves. Not "Mommy will tuck you in," but "I will tuck you in now."
    Guilty! 😆 It's mostly in order to be understood (and habit) but yes, I need to model this a bit more consistently!

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Part of it can be echolalia, part pronoun reversal, part theory of mind.

For "I" you can make a little social story to help teach theory of mind and pronouns simultaneously. Something like this, one on each page, with a simple drawing:

When people talk about themselves, they say "I."

Daddy says, "I am leaving for work."

Daddy says, "I will see you tonight."

Grandma says, "I love you."

Mommy says, "I made pancakes today."

Daddy says, "I am going outside."

Winston can speak in this grown-up way too.

Winston does not need to say, "Winston is hungry." Winston can say, "I am hungry."

When Winston says, "I" to talk about himself, Winston will be speaking in a very grown-up way, just like Daddy.

(And then, of course, we must be sure not to talk in the "royal" way ourselves. Not "Mommy will tuck you in," but "I will tuck you in now." ☺)

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Oh, I love this! Hooray! Yes, I think movement and writing and visual will all combine nicely to teach what we want.

(Why *are* pronouns hard for ASD kids? So odd. My daughter called everyone "she" until I started asking her to differentiate between he and she. Now, it seems like everyone is a "he" instead. Argh! And you would think my kids are royalty or something -- they refer to themselves by their names instead of "I", "me" or "mine". It's kind of sweet, but I still correct them.)

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Good morning!

Your children seem to enjoy games, so you could create The Pronoun Game.

Play just before settling in for reading.

Have them stand side-by-side, as if on a line. Say something like this:

"He may take one step forward."
    "She may take two steps forward."

"Next, he may take three steps forward."
    "She may take two steps forward."
    "They may take four steps backward."
    (That's all. Just little bits of daily practice.) "Now he and she may join me for our story!"

Do this for the next week or so, until this is super-easy. Then add "it" to the row by placing an inanimate object nearby (not a stuffed animal whom they think of as 'he' or 'she'). Use a clock, book, or newspaper.

Eventually you can create variations of this for more pronouns.

Also - Play "He or She?"
    Have them each draw on a paper plate or index card a picture of a boy. Help them write "he" beneath the boy. Do the same with a drawing of a girl and "she."

As you read a story, have them hold up "he" or "she" when you pause. Tally points for correct answers. When this becomes easy, do the same with "they."

Check with your SLP for ways she might teach these in therapy sessions. Pronoun confusion is a common issue for spectrum kiddos, so she can easily reinforce your efforts with a few minutes in her own sessions. (Teamwork with a good therapist is powerful!)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Let us know how it goes....

Cheryl

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Morning

I don't really know where to put this, so I'll post it here. My children have problems with pronouns (particularly he vs she); them, they, we, I, me, mine are all problem areas. These are coming along -- I've seen an increase in accuracy in the last several months, especially in the last several weeks -- but I'd like to know if there is a plan to particularly target these areas in SC2 (this may already be part of SC1, we just haven't encountered it yet).

My children learn particularly well through reading, so I infer a lot of this will be addressed and reinforced as we move along the path to true literacy. As it stands now, I "recast" whenever pronouns come up (as per our SLP recommendations) and I ask, "Is that a boy or a girl? Oh -- a boy! So we say 'he'..." in order to clarify. So work is being done (frequently).

Advice?

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Ha! Thank you both. Phonics, math, science, writing, even reading comprehension do not phase me much. I know we will do well. Latin? *gulp*

But I trust the SC plan. Everything has been so well-developed with the home-educator in mind -- I know we will do fine.

Now -- getting out of cold clothes and into a warm chair (with a warm cat) to finish reading a wonderful book and perhaps a nap It's a good day to be snowed in.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Originally posted by Anita View Post
    Will the Prima training be available for download for those of us who cannot travel?
    Even if you cannot obtain the training, you will have the CD, DVD, and clear lesson plans. You can definitely do this, Anita.

Teaching modified Latin with extra practice, built-in multisensory exercises, and frequent review will offer benefits to the first-time or older Latin teacher, just as the slower pace helps the struggling student! (Speaking from experience....☺)

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Anita,

We'll do our best to make that happen! We got a fairly good recording of First Form Latin two years ago, so it's possible!

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

If you plan to attend the MP conference, the SC Prima plans should be ready then! You could take the Prima teacher training class, if you wanted to feel even more equipped when you begin.

Will the Prima training be available for download for those of us who cannot travel?

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Latin begins Week 18 of SC 3. You'll need these resources:

Prima Latina Student Book
    Prima Latina Teacher Manual
    Prima Latina CD
    Prima Latina DVD
    Lingua Angelica CD
    Prima Latina Copybook

The good news is that you will need all of these for SC 4 too, so you will get extra use of everything.

I would wait to combine the two children when you reach SC 3, if you can. You'll want both children to know English phonics firmly, and I think you will want the modified lesson plans that will accompany SC 3.

If you plan to attend the MP conference, the SC Prima plans should be ready then! You could take the Prima teacher training class, if you wanted to feel even more equipped when you begin.

Thanks-
    Cheryl

ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied

We'll be doing SC2 for reading and writing and then jumping to SC3 for math, yet sticking with the original plan of k read aloud and enrichment. But, I reserve the right to totally alter all those plans once the final SC2 web page posts!

Traditionally, latin is begun in second grade and I see it's part of the title for SC3.

Two questions: are you writing a special latin program for SC or using Prima with modifications? I ask because I have all of Prima except the dvd's and was curious if I should get them.

2) I have a very quick 5 year old who loves learning. My original plan was to delay latin for the oldest until #2 was ready so that I could teach them together. Two birds with one stone. Do you think I should continue to wait or do you think they could start next fall or winter? I'm a total latin virgin so we'll all be learning together either way (hence I'm wanting to buy the dvd's). #2 will be doing the traditional k core.

If that forces you to give more away than you want, i'll just bide my time until the book lists post

Leave a comment:

• LillianinAl
    replied

Cheryl, all this sounds just fantastic! I love the curriculum, and my boys are learning and doing well with it. I like the extended literature list for the child to read; however, I just wanted to say that what I meant was a set of more books for Mom to read aloud. It looks like those will be built in, though. Thanks so much!

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Not to worry, Colomama. The read-aloud sets will be optional supplements, as usual. You can purchase them separately, or you can ignore them altogether and proceed with your plan to combine all of your children in K Enrichment with the MP K read-alouds. If you did not teach from the SC 2 read-alouds, you could simply substitute SC Writing, Bible Story Edition.

No further books needed.

Also, the other aspects of customization are simple:
    1. Review on Fridays, or
    2. Delve Deeply on Fridays, or
    3. Ignore the Friday lessons altogether.

No additional books are needed for any of these options.

The only customization necessitating more books is Extended Literature. (This was in response to Lillian's good suggestion.) This set will be offered as a separate, optional supplement of four inexpensive paperbacks for students to read. You might not need these.

Wait for the final book list, so you can see the overall plan. We should be able to post this soon.

When you focus on Bible, phonics, arithmetic, cursive, and writing, you will have a full SC 2 core without needing to worry about over-committing. (Btw, you're not being daft; you're being wise! You want to create a realistic, teachable plan for your own situation.)

I think everything will become more clear when SC 2 has its own webpage.

I hope that helps for now -

Cheryl
    This is why I love SC (and MP!) No one ever suggests that someone is a "bad teacher" for doing what's doable for their child. It's a great stress-reliever!

BTW: we are on Week 8 of SC1. All three of my kids had a blast just now jumping from circle-to-circle from "at", "an" and "am" whenever I called out a word with those combinations. They are getting quite good!
    Last edited by Anita; 01-20-2016, 10:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
    I'm really trying not to be daft here... in the other SC curriculums there is a read aloud set for purchase and a science enrichment set for purchase in addition to the main curriculum items. In the SC2 it seems that science and traditional read alouds are combined on one list that would equal one book per week. That's what originally led to my question about their necessity; up to this point the science has always been optional.

My guess, with Cheryl's response, is that the book list will grow much longer with all of the amazing options for customization that they have come up with.

Now to decide which option is best for us. I always error with doing too much and eventually fall off the wagon when I/ we can't keep up. Love the customization, just fearful all the new options may be overwhelming.
    Not to worry, Colomama. The read-aloud sets will be optional supplements, as usual. You can purchase them separately, or you can ignore them altogether and proceed with your plan to combine all of your children in K Enrichment with the MP K read-alouds. If you did not teach from the SC 2 read-alouds, you could simply substitute SC Writing, Bible Story Edition.

No further books needed.

Also, the other aspects of customization are simple:
    1. Review on Fridays, or
    2. Delve Deeply on Fridays, or
    3. Ignore the Friday lessons altogether.

No additional books are needed for any of these options.

The only customization necessitating more books is Extended Literature. (This was in response to Lillian's good suggestion.) This set will be offered as a separate, optional supplement of four inexpensive paperbacks for students to read. You might not need these.

Wait for the final book list, so you can see the overall plan. We should be able to post this soon.

When you focus on Bible, phonics, arithmetic, cursive, and writing, you will have a full SC 2 core without needing to worry about over-committing. (Btw, you're not being daft; you're being wise! You want to create a realistic, teachable plan for your own situation.)

I think everything will become more clear when SC 2 has its own webpage.

I hope that helps for now -

Cheryl

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied

I'm really trying not to be daft here... in the other SC curriculums there is a read aloud set for purchase and a science enrichment set for purchase in addition to the main curriculum items. In the SC2 it seems that science and traditional read alouds are combined on one list that would equal one book per week. That's what originally led to my question about their necessity; up to this point the science has always been optional.

My guess, with Cheryl's response, is that the book list will grow much longer with all of the amazing options for customization that they have come up with.

Now to decide which option is best for us. I always error with doing too much and eventually fall off the wagon when I/ we can't keep up. Love the customization, just fearful all the new options may be overwhelming.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X