Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Teaching emotions and empathy to a child on the autism spectrun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Teaching emotions and empathy to a child on the autism spectrun

Originally posted by tanya View Post
    Oh man. Cheryl did her part years ago. This is on my plate now, but I put it behind SC3. I will try to get to this project soon!

Tanya
    Putting it behind SC3 was clearly the right decision! There are only so many hours in a day.
    Susan

2019-2020
    A (11) - R&S math 4, Mash up of MP 2/3 & SC 4
    C (10) - R&S math 3, Mash up of MP 2/3 & SC 4
    G (6) - Simply Classical C

Comment

Just an idea for those of you who need something sooner than later. I'm having a lot of fun using the first grade read alouds alongside the first grade enrichment -- but I only use the discussion questions in the enrichment manual as an aside; instead I rewrite the discussion/comprehension questions going page by page through each read aloud and and drawing out situations, pictures, and circumstances from the books that lend to teaching emotions, scripted etiquette, appropriate social responses, relationship skills, and empathy. I do also use some comprehension questions, but I re-write/re-phrase those as well. I use the social studies portion of enrichment pretty much as-is, but I do deviate a bit to make certain concepts more skill-based and appropriate to my boys' needs for more "elementary syntax" (receptive language delays means they need me to use fewer words than the enrichment manual calls for). When I think inference will be an issue, I pare down greatly on the word usage, and instead of asking them what they think certain vocabulary words mean, I tell them, in the context of a related discussion or comprehension question.

It's pretty easy to do, if you have the literature books and enrichment manual on hand. Time-consuming, but worth it. I wanted to wait for the special curriculum to come out, too, but social skills are something both of my boys needed to work on asap.
      For various reasons, the enrichment portions of the SC-specific manuals didn't work for us -- but this does.

Hope that helps somebody!

- Aimee

Mom of three exceptional kiddos: DD15, dyslexia; DS8, autism and other medical special needs; DS5, autism and language delay

Comment

I'm planning on using grade 1 enrichment this next year anyways and this is a great idea. Do you have any of this written up that you can share?

Thanks
        Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
        DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
        DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
        Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
        Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
          I'm planning on using grade 1 enrichment this next year anyways and this is a great idea. Do you have any of this written up that you can share?

Thanks
          I should be done with them over the next month or two. If you send me your e-mail address, I can send you each as I finish. I'm working on Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile right now. I'm writing them as the books come in (ordered from Abebooks, which means they are coming from EVERYWHERE, lol). Trying to turn actual discussion into a written format that is easier to follow than my previous method of flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants. Fun times :P
          Last edited by AimeeM; 06-10-2017, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Just a quick note on the posts before Aimee's:

In Tanya's defense, the multi-level outline and first full level were submitted only months ago, not years, and Susan is right: SC 3 needed to come first!

The entire SC Manners, Health, & Social Skills program is outlined and awaiting approval. After approval and formatting, the various levels could appear before too long.

Each is 14 weeks, similar to FSR E, so each could be taught over a summer or alongside your regular MP or SC school year.

Comment

We will buy it for sure! This sounds great!

Comment

Any updates on expected release dates? I just ordered a few of Cheryl's recommended books on Amazon. Thanks!

Comment

I hope to get to this the week after the conference. Until then, we are in conference mode!

Tanya

Comment

True to her word, Tanya has already sent the first level to formatting!

Now we need a title. I will start a new thread for this, as this one has become quite long!

Comment

Working...
                    X