Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Simply Classical Vs. "regular" core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simply Classical Vs. "regular" core

Just curious if anyone plans on doing SC in the early years and then maybe switching to the "regular" core? My son has high functioning autism. Right now his biggest barriers to learning are his inability to focus and stay with us vs. his own little autism world and his poor fine motor skills. If his poor fine motor skills continue, the regular core could always be adapted to allow for more verbal responses as opposed to writing, but if we can get him to attend better as he gets older I worry that SC might not be the best fit. He has a superb memory, he knows the whole rosary and the order of the planets, and poems and things. So my questions is, can one begin in SC and move over to the "regular" core later? What is the best time frame for doing this? We were thinking maybe do B and C then Kindergarten regular core. I know there would be some overlap but I am thinking thats a good thing for the beginning skills. And lastly, would it be ok to do the "regular" core but maybe take a little longer than one school year? Or is it better to not over tax?

Thanks for your time and patience!

Re: Simply Classical Vs. "regular" core

Originally posted by auroralavey View Post
    Just curious if anyone plans on doing SC in the early years and then maybe switching to the "regular" core? My son has high functioning autism. Right now his biggest barriers to learning are his inability to focus and stay with us vs. his own little autism world and his poor fine motor skills. If his poor fine motor skills continue, the regular core could always be adapted to allow for more verbal responses as opposed to writing, but if we can get him to attend better as he gets older I worry that SC might not be the best fit. He has a superb memory, he knows the whole rosary and the order of the planets, and poems and things. So my questions is, can one begin in SC and move over to the "regular" core later? What is the best time frame for doing this? We were thinking maybe do B and C then Kindergarten regular core. I know there would be some overlap but I am thinking thats a good thing for the beginning skills. And lastly, would it be ok to do the "regular" core but maybe take a little longer than one school year? Or is it better to not over tax?
    Yes, your plan sounds good. SC Level B and SC Level C will effectively address his need for additional fine-motor work while engaging him through language exercises, stories, and multisensory activities to redirect those autism-driven tendencies of drawing inward. Levels B and C will also result in "spreading out" MP JrK, but with two consecutive years of new content. In Level C he will receive special animal studies created just for such high-functioning children with a good memory and a thirst for knowledge! In these ways, the B/C preparation might be preferable to merely slowing the pace of JrK.

When you finish B/C, you can reassess to see if he can graduate to MPK. If he is ready, the transition should be smooth, because the SC Core Curriculum and MP Classical Core Curriculum rely on a similar daily lesson format and similar teaching resources.

And, yes, you can take longer than one year with the MP Core, if he needs this. You'll know more after he finishes Levels B and C. Also, just thinking ahead --

After SC B and C, if he were to begin MPK and progress through the MP Classical Core Curriculum, you retain the option of switching back to SC in later years. For example, he might need greater support with areas such as abstract or more complex reasoning, higher expectations regarding executive function, or requirements for more sustained academic concentration. The SC alternatives will be there, if he needs them. If he doesn't, you can simply modify the MP Classical Core Curriculum, just as you describe!

All of the options give you great flexibility without ever sacrificing essential skill development or classical Christian content.

Good question.

Thanks-
    Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child, with foreword by Dr. Gene Edward Veith

ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com - full curriculum for classical Christian education - next level to come spring, 2016

Part One, Part Two "Nuts & Bolts" Webinars on Classical Education & Special Needs

Comment

Re: Simply Classical Vs. "regular" core

There are so many things that are appealing in the SC levels, that it seems like a good fit for my son. I was on the fence about the SC levels for my daughter, but am pleased we chose the core route. I too, wondered if we continued on the SC route if he would need additional work to say, assimilate into a traditional classroom, in the future, should the need arise?
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Working...
      X