Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

First Start Reading & Cursive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Start Reading & Cursive

Cheryl,

I started a thread on the K-8 board, but maybe I should have started it here. I wanted to know if/how FSR could be used if the student was already learning cursive. I already have all the FSR components because of previously purchased Simply Classical Cores, so I thought maybe I could use it for additional practice for my son who is struggling with blending in his current phonics program. He is 7 1/2, in "first grade" with skill sets all over the place. I started cursive with him this year, and, while he his fine motor control is a weakness, he is doing very well. I decided to try cursive with him now instead of waiting until he is reading well because, if we wait for that, he might not get to cursive until 3rd or 4th grade (and he is already an older student). Also, he has had print and typeface letters mastered for several years now, so he doesn't need further instruction in writing to learn them. Since he is doing well learning cursive, I want to keep all writing instruction in cursive, for both consistency and not to overwhelm him with too much writing practice.

I'm not sure FSR will work for what I was considering, but it make me wonder if/how this might be addressed in Simply Classical. Is it possible for a modified version of FSR to be written for students that are learning to read at an age that is older than the typical student? Maybe a version that either doesn't require writing (which would also be helpful for those who maybe aren't learning to read later but don't have the fine motor skills for writing) and/or a version that uses cursive (helpful for someone who has an older student who is still learning to read or is starting with cursive instead of printing). If modifying FSR isn't feasible or the best option, maybe also have a phonics program written for older students that could be added/subbed out for FSR for the older students still needing basic phonics instruction?

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this :-)

Thanks,
    Another Cheryl ;-)
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 23, graduated
    dd 15, 9th Grade
    dd 12, 6th Grade
    ds 10, 4nd Grade

Re: First Start Reading & Cursive

Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
    Cheryl,

I started a thread on the K-8 board, but maybe I should have started it here. I wanted to know if/how FSR could be used if the student was already learning cursive. I already have all the FSR components because of previously purchased Simply Classical Cores, so I thought maybe I could use it for additional practice for my son who is struggling with blending in his current phonics program. He is 7 1/2, in "first grade" with skill sets all over the place. I started cursive with him this year, and, while he his fine motor control is a weakness, he is doing very well. I decided to try cursive with him now instead of waiting until he is reading well because, if we wait for that, he might not get to cursive until 3rd or 4th grade (and he is already an older student). Also, he has had print and typeface letters mastered for several years now, so he doesn't need further instruction in writing to learn them. Since he is doing well learning cursive, I want to keep all writing instruction in cursive, for both consistency and not to overwhelm him with too much writing practice.

I'm not sure FSR will work for what I was considering, but it make me wonder if/how this might be addressed in Simply Classical. Is it possible for a modified version of FSR to be written for students that are learning to read at an age that is older than the typical student? Maybe a version that either doesn't require writing (which would also be helpful for those who maybe aren't learning to read later but don't have the fine motor skills for writing) and/or a version that uses cursive (helpful for someone who has an older student who is still learning to read or is starting with cursive instead of printing). If modifying FSR isn't feasible or the best option, maybe also have a phonics program written for older students that could be added/subbed out for FSR for the older students still needing basic phonics instruction?

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this :-)

Thanks,
    Another Cheryl ;-)

Hi, Cheryl.

This is your answer, embedded in your question: He is 7 1/2, in "first grade" with skill sets all over the place. I started cursive with him this year, and, while he his fine motor control is a weakness, he is doing very well. This is wonderful!

Yes, continue with NAC. Iris would be so happy to hear this.

We may not create "FSR cursive" or "FSR no-writing" any time soon, but the FSR phonics A-D progression is so helpful for reading, your own modifications will be well worth trying. I like your idea of NAC blending sheets. Please let us know if/how this works for your son. Such sheets might be a resource we could offer for others in similar situations. As you know, many of our students have scattered skills, so resourceful solutions are always welcome!

Thanks-
    Cheryl

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      Hi, Cheryl.

This is your answer, embedded in your question: He is 7 1/2, in "first grade" with skill sets all over the place. I started cursive with him this year, and, while he his fine motor control is a weakness, he is doing very well. This is wonderful!

Yes, continue with NAC. Iris would be so happy to hear this.

We may not create "FSR cursive" or "FSR no-writing" any time soon, but the FSR phonics A-D progression is so helpful for reading, your own modifications will be well worth trying. I like your idea of NAC blending sheets. Please let us know if/how this works for your son. Such sheets might be a resource we could offer for others in similar situations. As you know, many of our students have scattered skills, so resourceful solutions are always welcome!

Thanks-
      Cheryl
      Thanks so much Cheryl! I will update but imagine it will be a month at the earliest because I have to order NAC StartWrite. I will be happy to share sheets that I make with MP, providing that they are worth sharing, LOL. I spoke with Mrs. Hatfield and received much encouragement, so I will forge ahead and see where the road takes me :-)
      Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
      ds 23, graduated
      dd 15, 9th Grade
      dd 12, 6th Grade
      ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

I too am very curious how this works out. My son is the same age (8 in March)and my dilemma with FSR is regressing or overloading in penmanship. I was planning on purchasing SC2 just for the NAC schedule and math schedule when it is completed.

So, your plan is to use FSR as supplemental to work through blends, but will use Start write to rewrite the accompanying FSR writing component in cursive? I hadn't thought of that. Sounds like a great idea.
        Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
        DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
        DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
        Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
        Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
          I too am very curious how this works out. My son is the same age (8 in March)and my dilemma with FSR is regressing or overloading in penmanship. I was planning on purchasing SC2 just for the NAC schedule and math schedule when it is completed.

So, your plan is to use FSR as supplemental to work through blends, but will use Start write to rewrite the accompanying FSR writing component in cursive? I hadn't thought of that. Sounds like a great idea.
          They are pretty much exactly the same age (my son will be 8 at the end of February). That's my plan :-) I don't anticipate being able to start for around 2 weeks because I have to wait for NAC StartWrite to arrive and have to order Core Phonics K & 1. I bought the Kindergarten Phonics Lesson Plans (in PDF) and go through them at my open pace (I love MP's lesson plans but always use them at our own pace for each subject). I stopped buying the SC cores when they started Rod & Staff for math because I won't switch from MUS and (at that time) you couldn't customize. For me the cores will likely never work, which is disappointing because none of the SC lesson plans seem to be available individually. I wonder how different they are...maybe it's time for me to start another thread ;-)
          Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
          ds 23, graduated
          dd 15, 9th Grade
          dd 12, 6th Grade
          ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Working...
          X