Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Some Technical Questions Re Level 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anita
    replied
    Re: Some Technical Questions Re Level 1

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Anita,

A few thoughts:

Phonics Pre-Test
    That is such good news about the pre-test! All of those pre-phonics phonological awareness and ear training lessons bore fruit. Congratulations to you and to Winston.

R&S
    You will have quite a learning curve for R&S. However, your hard work spent learning R&S will allow you to incorporate good "over-learning" and multi-sensory input while teaching the classical arithmetic-first foundation of the quadrivium. Moreover, by learning FSR and R&S with Winston, you will be an expert with your next two children! You will notice in your Curriculum Guide that we ease the teacher into R&S with time to study the Teacher's Guide. Day Two (today for you) is intended to allow time for creating the flannelboard. (You and Colomama are already ahead!) The first few days of SC Level 1 are easier, so you can establish a good teaching rhythm. The pace will ramp up soon.

Tanya
    And I am just now reading the many recent emails in this thread. I must offer a quick note defending my friend Tanya. I sent her piecemeal information that day from my phone. As Mrs. Lowe says, marveling, "Tanya is amazing." Tanya is the queen of communication and organization. We even owe Tanya gratitude for the very idea of the Simply Classical Curriculum! This first-ever classical Christian curriculum for special-needs children is unique to homeschooling and to education more broadly.

In a "progressive" age in which the norm has become presenting scraps of intense, brief, or isolated experimental interventions to children with special needs, we can offer our children the context of a full, effective, and beautiful education, thanks to Tanya's inspiration. And thanks to Memoria Press more broadly, we can do this within the essential truth, mercy, and comfort of the Christian faith, the one thing needful.

Integration of Content/Making Connections

As for the integration of content in each curriculum level, it might seem unenviable, but the integration is one of my FAVORITE aspects of creating this curriculum. It is like quilting or scrapbooking. I inherited a love of both from my grandmother and great-grandmother. The SC Curriculum takes individual pieces -- neurodevelopmental therapies, researched special education strategies, and classical content -- and weaves everything together into a cohesive whole with repetition, review, and depth. Much of this was already accomplished by the master teachers at Highlands Latin School. We're just adding to the weaving together of resources, techniques, and content for even greater integration in SC levels. I love helping our challenged children make those connections. The integration of content across subject matter, while retaining the classical emphasis on incremental mastery, is magical for our children.

Story Bible
    So glad to hear you like the Story Bible too! Children's bibles became so "cartoony" for a while. The sacred art in the Story Bible is worth the investment on its own! For anyone interested, this is available individually for purchase: search Individual Items SC Level 1.

Simply Classical Curriculum
    (I sometimes envision this bumper sticker for my car: I'd Rather Be Creating Curriculum.) Truly a labor of love. All of you, especially when everyone is excited about the next level, make it even more enjoyable. Thank you for taking time to share. I hope and pray that word of the curriculum will spread, so we can help even more special-needs children and their families reclaim the "education" in special education.

Back to work ....

Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com
    1) Thank you!
    2) R&S -- agreed.
    3) Was TOTALLY picking on Tanya. She has been nothing but helpful, professional and 100% on top of her game. We've had a few funny moments over in K-8. Tanya's input there was hysterical as well as timely. Love her. (Hi Tanya!)
    4) The integration talent *must* be something you were born with. I would... not be hopeless -- LOL! -- but I certainly wouldn't be as good at it. Honestly, the thing that amazes me the most is where on earth these wonderful books have been hiding. I go to booksellers, Amazon and am around a lot of homeschoolers (A LOT! 90% of our parish home schools) and I have rarely if ever come across most of these titles. Which segues nicely into...
    5) The Story Bible -- read the introduction last night (slacker, slacker, slacker...) and read out loud to my husband the passage about how studies have shown that children come to correlate cartoon pictures with make-believe. That was a real eye-opener. So all these newfangled "Children's Bibles" really aren't a good substitute for a bona fide Bible. We have followed this line of thought all along. Our children attend a very grown up parish where it is expected that they will have good childhoods, behaving as children, but that the liturgy not be altered to suit them. They are expected to attend the same Mass as we are. And since we are Latin-rite, the liturgy is just about the most gorgeous thing (to my mind) one could find. Especially High Mass. (Swoon). The intro data in the Story Bible also dovetails nicely with the last chapter in "10 Ways To Destroy The Inagination of Your Child" (which I also finished last night, providentially enough) where Esolen says the first book he learned to read; the only book he asked his father for before his father passed away; the book that seemed to have an aura of mystery, reverence and maturity about it -- just by its outward appearance -- was an "adult" bible (red leather, cloth bookmark, gilding, tabs for each book of the Bible, realistic pictures). If you've read "10 Ways" (and I think you have!) you know how beautifully he makes the case for children to grow into their parents shoes and the maturity of the Church -- not for the ceiling to be lowered for their tastes, abilities and proclivities (otherwise we could never become mature in the Lord; we would be immature children, only able to have milk -- never meat). Sadly (as you affirm) this is not the way of the world. When it does address Christ, it does so in a sing-song, Pollyanna-ish kind of way. How that appeals to anyone is beyond me, much less how it will nurture and sustain a growing child, full of wonder, curiosity and a desire to know ultimate Truth. But I digress... ;D
    Where the wrinkle comes is how to best present the Word to children with special needs. I was deeply impressed when they explained that they used something similar to the Fry-Graph Readbility Scale (which I probably just spelled wrong, though I am familiar with how it works!) to make the language simpler for our children without making it simplistic. (I was also impressed that the editors are professed Christians! That shouldn't be a rarity in devotional and sacred publishing, but it is. Pick up a random, modern Catholic Bible -- to admonish my own "family" -- and who knows what point of view you'll find. Many editors and commentators are so academic and theoretical and have given so much credence to the "Historical Jesus" camp -- ie Drs Erhman & Tabor, et al -- that the reader is confused, perplexed and disillusioned after a few chapters! A shame!)
    6) Thanks be to God for MP and Simply Classical. I know this is a group effort. You have NO IDEA how you have changed our lives and how grateful we are. I say that with a little happy tear in my eye. Really and truly -- huge hugs to everyone who works so hard to help us and families like ours. You will receive your reward! Be not weary!
    Last edited by Anita; 10-27-2015, 11:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Originally posted by Anita View Post
    Cheryl

Day One is in the books -- hooray! We used a recitation conglomerate of sorts instead of the Level 1 intro recitation, and actually did Monday and Tuesday's work in one day. Looking ahead, I know this will not always be the case.

Winston NAILED the pretest for Core Phonics -- only got one wrong. And the children really loved the Bible readings and study, as did I. (I see the wisdom in the selection of that Study Bible. It is wonderful and packed with activities to help absorb the lessons. Beautiful.) I am looking forward to reading "Apples" and listening to the musical selection. I am also interested to see how the children respond to the art cards. All aspects of Level 1 seem so much more grown up than Level C; like my Little Guy (well, BIG Guy!) is a bona fide student. Very pleased.

Math looks like it will be the hardest learning curve for the teacher -- LOL! R&S is very well planned and looks exhaustive -- very thankful to have all the extras (practice sheets, flash cards, drills, hand signals, manipulatives, etc.) but I am still getting my sea legs for how to teach it without missing anything. Am sure that will come with time. FSR looked a little intimidating until I started teaching it last year. Now it's second nature.

Kudos again for everyone's HARD work. I am ever-impressed how seamlessly all the materials go together. Genesis 1, science books about apples, etc., all coincide. I can tell A LOT of work went into getting these lessons just right. Not enviable work! So glad to have you.

Thanks,

Anita

Anita,

A few thoughts:

Phonics Pre-Test
    That is such good news about the pre-test! All of those pre-phonics phonological awareness and ear training lessons bore fruit. Congratulations to you and to Winston.

R&S
    You will have quite a learning curve for R&S. However, your hard work spent learning R&S will allow you to incorporate good "over-learning" and multi-sensory input while teaching the classical arithmetic-first foundation of the quadrivium. Moreover, by learning FSR and R&S with Winston, you will be an expert with your next two children! You will notice in your Curriculum Guide that we ease the teacher into R&S with time to study the Teacher's Guide. Day Two (today for you) is intended to allow time for creating the flannelboard. (You and Colomama are already ahead!) The first few days of SC Level 1 are easier, so you can establish a good teaching rhythm. The pace will ramp up soon.

Tanya
    And I am just now reading the many recent emails in this thread. I must offer a quick note defending my friend Tanya. I sent her piecemeal information that day from my phone. As Mrs. Lowe says, marveling, "Tanya is amazing." Tanya is the queen of communication and organization. We even owe Tanya gratitude for the very idea of the Simply Classical Curriculum! This first-ever classical Christian curriculum for special-needs children is unique to homeschooling and to education more broadly.

In a "progressive" age in which the norm has become presenting scraps of intense, brief, or isolated experimental interventions to children with special needs, we can offer our children the context of a full, effective, and beautiful education, thanks to Tanya's inspiration. And thanks to Memoria Press more broadly, we can do this within the essential truth, mercy, and comfort of the Christian faith, the one thing needful.

Integration of Content/Making Connections

As for the integration of content in each curriculum level, it might seem unenviable, but the integration is one of my FAVORITE aspects of creating this curriculum. It is like quilting or scrapbooking. I inherited a love of both from my grandmother and great-grandmother. The SC Curriculum takes individual pieces -- neurodevelopmental therapies, researched special education strategies, and classical content -- and weaves everything together into a cohesive whole with repetition, review, and depth. Much of this was already accomplished by the master teachers at Highlands Latin School. We're just adding to the weaving together of resources, techniques, and content for even greater integration in SC levels. I love helping our challenged children make those connections. The integration of content across subject matter, while retaining the classical emphasis on incremental mastery, is magical for our children.

Story Bible
    So glad to hear you like the Story Bible too! Children's bibles became so "cartoony" for a while. The sacred art in the Story Bible is worth the investment on its own! For anyone interested, this is available individually for purchase: search Individual Items SC Level 1.

Simply Classical Curriculum
    (I sometimes envision this bumper sticker for my car: I'd Rather Be Creating Curriculum.) Truly a labor of love. All of you, especially when everyone is excited about the next level, make it even more enjoyable. Thank you for taking time to share. I hope and pray that word of the curriculum will spread, so we can help even more special-needs children and their families reclaim the "education" in special education.

Back to work ....

Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Cheryl

Day One is in the books -- hooray! We used a recitation conglomerate of sorts instead of the Level 1 intro recitation, and actually did Monday and Tuesday's work in one day. Looking ahead, I know this will not always be the case.

Winston NAILED the pretest for Core Phonics -- only got one wrong. And the children really loved the Bible readings and study, as did I. (I see the wisdom in the selection of that Study Bible. It is wonderful and packed with activities to help absorb the lessons. Beautiful.) I am looking forward to reading "Apples" and listening to the musical selection. I am also interested to see how the children respond to the art cards. All aspects of Level 1 seem so much more grown up than Level C; like my Little Guy (well, BIG Guy!) is a bona fide student. Very pleased.

Math looks like it will be the hardest learning curve for the teacher -- LOL! R&S is very well planned and looks exhaustive -- very thankful to have all the extras (practice sheets, flash cards, drills, hand signals, manipulatives, etc.) but I am still getting my sea legs for how to teach it without missing anything. Am sure that will come with time. FSR looked a little intimidating until I started teaching it last year. Now it's second nature.

Kudos again for everyone's HARD work. I am ever-impressed how seamlessly all the materials go together. Genesis 1, science books about apples, etc., all coincide. I can tell A LOT of work went into getting these lessons just right. Not enviable work! So glad to have you.

Thanks,

Anita

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
    Just make sure your tabs fit in the box. Nothing like going to all that work and then it be too big. Maybe a good old fashioned sticky note would do the trick between layers and it's flexible so will bend if it's hanging out too far. I like cheap and easy. Ha
    How's this for cheap and easy? ;D

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	103802

Not worthy of Pinterest (real life seldom is). But it'll get the job done!

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	103801

Like this! This is a good visual representation for today.

CHEERS!

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Ha! I am about 10 weeks pregnant with baby #4 -- some days I can't find my head with both hands! Milk in the pantry, cereal in the fridge, jumbled nonsensical sentences, I call the kids by the cat's names... Humility, thy name is MOM. ;D

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Glad to provide entertainment along with confusion! I'm sitting at my desk with my dunce cap on.

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

HAHAHAHA! No worries! Bless your heart -- you were just trying to help! No, feel free to chime in, as needed. I know it takes some work off of dear Cheryl, who moderates this forum so well. And your advice is always valuable (er, uh, on the *other* boards -- I kid, I joke...).

You said she had developed an A-C recitation and I was like, "Wull, YEAH, she developed all of them I assume...." It honestly didn't cross my mind that you were in the gray -- my first reaction is to think *I* am the one who goofed. So no worries!!!

Thanks for the grin!

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Sorry, Anita! My reply was not correct because I didn't understand what you were asking or what Cheryl was telling me to tell you! So I should just have stayed out of the middle of your conversation. I am bowing out now ... never to be heard from again ... at least on this thread!

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Originally posted by tanya View Post
    Anita,

Cheryl has written a recitation for Levels A-C. I don't know if this would help you or not, but we should have it available soon. You might check back next week and see where we are with that, assuming it would be helpful to you.

Tanya
    And now Tanya's reply makes sense! LOLOLOL!

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Good morning, Anita.

(The delay was due to specialized blood work for M&M in the "big city" yesterday. All is well, just required some travel!)

Do not switch to the MP K or MP 1 recitations. Instead, we are creating a compilation of SC A, B, C and SC 1 recitations. You can substitute these for the SC 1 Recitations. This cumulative review is specific to SC and will allow you to rehearse all of the Scripture verses, prayers, arithmetic, phonics, and general knowledge items already memorized in SC A, B, and C. We then added the SC 1 items to this.

This will streamline your cumulative recitations and preserve his good repertoire of memorized material, as he learns the new material.

We can send this to you (or anyone else teaching from A, B, or C prior to teaching Level 1) via email.

A few notes:
    1. More Memory Work than You Might Think...
    SC 1 has more memory work than might be evident at first glance. The opening Recitations begin very simply for those new to the concept of Recitations. However, much memory work is embedded in Phonics, Arithmetic, and Copybook/Memory.

2. Academics
    As you suspected, the academic load is greater in SC 1, so we did not want to overtax little minds (or their teachers!). If you ever find that the cumulative review becomes too much, simply switch back to the Recitations in your Level 1 Curriculum Guide. You could then utilize the compilation in other ways (interspersed rapid-fire throughout the day, informal family contests, or for summer review).

Btw, your idea prompted the new Cumulative SC A, B, C, 1 review. We are also expanding the SC Level 2 Recitations list to include an optional all-in-one-place review of all previous SC Recitations.

Thanks, Anita.

Cheryl

Good morning, indeed!

Was *just* praying for y'all last night (looks up at the sky and winks). God's funny that way.

Okie doke -- I suspected this might be the case.

And hooray for combined recitation review! Yes, please email me. (Will send you a blank email that you or someone at MP can send the file to.)

Of course my concern is that Winston will not be challenged enough and that if we do not review he will lose what he learned previously. My Big Guy also has the interesting temperament characteristic of not wanting to try anything he cannot easily master. (Getting him to use scissors last Fall was ... INTERESTING! LOL!) So with all the new material coming up in Level 1, I suspect it will be healthy for him to have something he already knows well to give him a confidence boost throughout the year. He is complex -- finding the teaching "sweet spot" takes a little work sometimes and is not always linear (or logical, to me at least). We start Level 1 on Monday, 10/26.

Happy Weekend!

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied

Good morning, Anita.

(The delay was due to specialized blood work for M&M in the "big city" yesterday. All is well, just required some travel!)

Do not switch to the MP K or MP 1 recitations. Instead, we are creating a compilation of SC A, B, C and SC 1 recitations. You can substitute these for the SC 1 Recitations. This cumulative review is specific to SC and will allow you to rehearse all of the Scripture verses, prayers, arithmetic, phonics, and general knowledge items already memorized in SC A, B, and C. We then added the SC 1 items to this.

This will streamline your cumulative recitations and preserve his good repertoire of memorized material, as he learns the new material.

We can send this to you (or anyone else teaching from A, B, or C prior to teaching Level 1) via email.

A few notes:
    1. More Memory Work than You Might Think...
    SC 1 has more memory work than might be evident at first glance. The opening Recitations begin very simply for those new to the concept of Recitations. However, much memory work is embedded in Phonics, Arithmetic, and Copybook/Memory.

2. Academics
    As you suspected, the academic load is greater in SC 1, so we did not want to overtax little minds (or their teachers!). If you ever find that the cumulative review becomes too much, simply switch back to the Recitations in your Level 1 Curriculum Guide. You could then utilize the compilation in other ways (interspersed rapid-fire throughout the day, informal family contests, or for summer review).

Btw, your idea prompted the new Cumulative SC A, B, C, 1 review. We are also expanding the SC Level 2 Recitations list to include an optional all-in-one-place review of all previous SC Recitations.

Thanks, Anita.

Cheryl

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Hi Tanya

May not have been clear -- my apologies. We have basically mastered Levels A-C recitation. Level 1 is not much more than Level C. So -- irony of ironies if you look at our entrance interview from when we started (thread "Evidence of Efficacy" from September) -- my concern is that my son will not be challenged enough in the recitation selections for Level 1. Was wondering if I should use a recitation plan for regular MP K or Grade 1.

Drawbacks to this approach:
    1) Don't want to push too hard as I know there will be many new concepts and ideas in our Level 1 journey that will be challenging for my Little Mister
    2) I know there is a lovely "Master Plan" at work as far as how the Levels advance and I don't want to disrupt or derail Cheryl's hard work by inserting a scheme that might not fit. However, as we can customize Math and Phonics for Levels C and 1 (and B? Can't recall right now) it might not be that big of a deal.

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Anita,

Cheryl has written a recitation for Levels A-C. I don't know if this would help you or not, but we should have it available soon. You might check back next week and see where we are with that, assuming it would be helpful to you.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Another new question for today! (Good morning.)

Looking over the recitation for Level 1, I see a few new memory verses but not much more that is new or challenging. Should I order a K or grade 1 recitation? Or perhaps cobble together a plan based on previous levels and material that needs to be reviewed/was not totally mastered? Or am I jumping the gun here?

(And yes! I realize the full import of the IRONY of this request! THANKS BE TO GOD!)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X