Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Loving the Books!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loving the Books!

I just wanted to say how much we are enjoying the books - first from Level A and now in Level B. Kate has begun to enjoy longer stories, and I knew she was ready for Level B, but when I saw that this week's book (week 2) was The Little Engine That Could, I was a little concerned. It's the longest book I think we've read with her, at least that doesn't rhyme. But she loves the story. We've read it every day this week; she curls up in my lap, we point to the toys and dolls and trains, and I think today she was trying to say "I think I can" along with me. (She's even staying very attentive during the Bible stories; I was also a bit concerned about those due to the sheer amount of text on a page.)

And a special note on Owl Babies. She received the book for Christmas, but we only read it a few times here and there. But recently (before we began Level B, but within the last month or so), she has been asking us to read it to her all the time. We obliged, mostly because she is so cute saying "Mommy" at the end of Bill's lines. I've had to tell anyone who reads it to her (dad, brothers, and the young woman who comes and plays with her once a week) to stop after Bill says, "I want my ... " because Kate will chime in. Yay for encouraging oral language!

Thank you Cheryl for choosing such wonderful books, and for choosing ones that challenge our children just enough to gently push them in their growth and development.
    Brit

Catholic mom to five
    2019-2020:
    Ds '01 - College freshman: Thomas Aquinas College
    Ds '03 - 10th grade: MPOA Algebra 2, and a bunch of other stuff
    Ds '06 - 8th: MP Tiner science (chemistry, physics, and astronomy), 8M lit, 8M Exploring Planet Earth, ancient history, OLVS 8 Catechism
    Dd '10 (Down syndrome) - JrK with little brother and BOB books
    Ds '15 - JrK with big sister

Owl Babies is a favorite here too, even with my older neurotypical children (2nd and 5th grade)! For my son's birthday I bought puppets that look similar to the mommy owl and Bill, and they have been two of his favorite toys ever since.
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 26, graduated
    ds 25, graduated
    dd 11th Grade
    dd 8th Grade
    ds 6th Grade

Comment

Originally posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
      I just wanted to say how much we are enjoying the books - first from Level A and now in Level B. Kate has begun to enjoy longer stories, and I knew she was ready for Level B, but when I saw that this week's book (week 2) was The Little Engine That Could, I was a little concerned. It's the longest book I think we've read with her, at least that doesn't rhyme. But she loves the story. We've read it every day this week; she curls up in my lap, we point to the toys and dolls and trains, and I think today she was trying to say "I think I can" along with me. (She's even staying very attentive during the Bible stories; I was also a bit concerned about those due to the sheer amount of text on a page.)

And a special note on Owl Babies. She received the book for Christmas, but we only read it a few times here and there. But recently (before we began Level B, but within the last month or so), she has been asking us to read it to her all the time. We obliged, mostly because she is so cute saying "Mommy" at the end of Bill's lines. I've had to tell anyone who reads it to her (dad, brothers, and the young woman who comes and plays with her once a week) to stop after Bill says, "I want my ... " because Kate will chime in. Yay for encouraging oral language!

Thank you Cheryl for choosing such wonderful books, and for choosing ones that challenge our children just enough to gently push them in their growth and development.
      Thank you. Book selection was a Memoria Press/Simply Classical team effort!

When we gathered our finalists onto my bookshelves at home, my Michelle willingly offered to ''test drive'' the books with me on our sofa. Just to be sure.

Thanks-
      Cheryl

Simply Classical Curriculum - blending therapies with beautiful books

Comment

Glad someone started this thread:

1) We just received "A Child's Garden of Verses" yesterday for our upcoming Level B curriculum (this Fall). It is gorgeous. I know the kids will love it -- which is a relief since poetry is a bit of an adjustment for my kids.
        2) They love looking through "Animals, Animals" and "Best Mother Goose Ever" (or, as my daughter has proclaimed it, "The Kitty Book" -- since there are Richard Scarry's cats on the cover).
        3) "Never Tease a Weasel" (Level C) makes me laugh out loud every time I read it to the kids -- the illustrations are hysterical (especially the mule jumping into the pool and the moose sipping juice).
        5) My kids love almost all the books in the read-aloud sets. Even Level A books are cherished. (We have all the SC core curricula -- my kids are all over the map as far as age and ability so I have everything.) Looking forward to "The Seven Silly Eaters" this Fall, "Come on Rain! (the illustrations are so evocative) and "Owl Babies". Those are definintely going to be favorites!

Since my children all have language delays or processing issues, I read the "book of the week" at least four (sometimes five) times so they can get familiar with it. Before we do the comprehension questions, we have read the book at least twice. After we have completed the lessons with comprehension questions and then the craft that goes with the book, I will read the book again on the days following. After that, I will typically get asked to read the "new book" at bedtime. Works like a charm.

Interestingly, the most-found contraband in their rooms, beds, the car, kitchen table, random places around the house? Not toys -- books! And for children with significant language difficulties, that is special.
        Last edited by Anita; 05-01-2015, 01:52 PM.
        Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
        Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
        Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
        The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
        ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Working...
        X