Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Moving from Level 1 SN core, to the grade 1 core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from Level 1 SN core, to the grade 1 core

We are starting the level 1 core next week. I do not anticipate needing to continue with the SN cores after this one for my middle DS (fine motor issues). I'm comparing the level 1 to the regular K core, trying to figure out what I would need to do as a review AFTER the level 1 core, PRIOR to starting the regular Grade 1 Core in another year or so.

So far I'm seeing the differences being in the enrichment guides, the writing content, and it looks like the K Core also uses Core Skills 2, whereas Level 1 only uses Core Skills K and 1.

What would I need to use after level 1 prior to starting the regular grade 1 core?

(if he continues to have serious enough fine motor skill problems after level 1 that I doubt he could keep up with the writing in the Grade 1 core, I guess I'll just eagerly anticipate the Level 2 core, lol!)

Hi, Aimee.

A few questions for you:

1. How does SC Level 1 look for your son, now that you have it in your hands?

2. Do you intend to teach SC Level 1 with the Read-Alouds and the Science & Enrichment Set?

3. Has your son received a thorough OT/medical/neurological evaluation for his fine-motor difficulties?

While waiting for these answers, I can respond to your question in a preliminary way:
    As he begins to receive good fine-motor/OT therapies, you will only need to be sure his reading, arithmetic, and writing skills are sufficiently strong for MP1 next year. If you wanted, you could add the SC Level 1 8-week review already included in the package you received. You might add Core Skills Phonics 2 & additional readers, if he needs them. In MP1, he will begin cursive. As the time approached, you could give the NAC book to your OT ahead of time, so she could create coordinating readiness exercises for you.

As you know, his most pressing need this year will be strengthening his fine-motor skills.
    -You could add either or both of the Scissors Books as a pre-cursor to MP JrK, K, or SC Level B & C Crafts books.
    -You will want to give him good experiences with vertical writing, sidewalk chalk, writing in "fun foam" or rice, and all of the other pre-writing activities you can integrate into his day in an enjoyable, pain-free way. Your younger son could join in these!

Something to consider for next year:
    -Because your son has "scattered" skills, he might benefit more from customization than from a single core level next year. The SN levels are being customized even now, patterned after the MP customization. You have time to re-evaluate this, as you progress through this year.

Your children, Aimee, have widely differing abilities and challenges. We want to optimize your children's unique strengths, accommodate for their weaker areas, and help you give good attention to the skills that need the most remediation. If you need a "sounding board" to assist with this, even as you teach, just let us know.

Thanks-
    Cheryl

Simply Classical - the book

Simply Classical - the curriculum - more levels with customization to come

Comment

Thanks again!
      Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
      Hi, Aimee.

A few questions for you:

1. How does SC Level 1 look for your son, now that you have it in your hands? Great! I tweaked/accelerated the phonics, added in our own math and religion, and the Kindergarten Craft Book. I love it.

2. Do you intend to teach SC Level 1 with the Read-Alouds and the Science & Enrichment Set? Yes to the read alouds - I also purchased that set. No to the science and enrichment; we have our own science rotation that we're going through

3. Has your son received a thorough OT/medical/neurological evaluation for his fine-motor difficulties?
      No, not yet. His pediatrician is going to evaluate that and refer us out at his well child check up in May

While waiting for these answers, I can respond to your question in a preliminary way:
      As he begins to receive good fine-motor/OT therapies, you will only need to be sure his reading, arithmetic, and writing skills are sufficiently strong for MP1 next year. If you wanted, you could add the SC Level 1 8-week review already included in the package you received. You might add Core Skills Phonics 2 & additional readers, if he needs them. In MP1, he will begin cursive. As the time approached, you could give the NAC book to your OT ahead of time, so she could create coordinating readiness exercises for you.
      This is a good idea; I think I may purchase the NAC book ahead of time to give to whomever our ped refers us out to for OT.

As you know, his most pressing need this year will be strengthening his fine-motor skills.
      -You could add either or both of the Scissors Books as a pre-cursor to MP JrK, K, or SC Level B & C Crafts books. He is doing a scissor skills book and we're using the Kindergarten craft book alongside the read alouds for Level 1
      -You will want to give him good experiences with vertical writing, sidewalk chalk, writing in "fun foam" or rice, and all of the other pre-writing activities you can integrate into his day in an enjoyable, pain-free way. Your younger son could join in these!
      This part is the hard part. He has sensory issues and will not put a finger in anything considered messy, or odd feeling; sidewalk chalk is what I'm hoping he will work with.

Something to consider for next year:
      -Because your son has "scattered" skills, he might benefit more from customization than from a single core level next year. The SN levels are being customized even now, patterned after the MP customization. You have time to re-evaluate this, as you progress through this year. Oh I definitely plan to customize for him. If used the Grade 1 Core, it would be for the literature, enrichment, copywork/handwriting (and possibly the science enrichment set for next year; I would continue to use our own math and religion.

Your children, Aimee, have widely differing abilities and challenges. We want to optimize your children's unique strengths, accommodate for their weaker areas, and help you give good attention to the skills that need the most remediation. If you need a "sounding board" to assist with this, even as you teach, just let us know. Thank you!

Thanks-
      Cheryl

Simply Classical - the book

Simply Classical - the curriculum - more levels with customization to come

Comment

Originally posted by AimeeM View Post
        We are starting the level 1 core next week. I do not anticipate needing to continue with the SN cores after this one for my middle DS (fine motor issues). I'm comparing the level 1 to the regular K core, trying to figure out what I would need to do as a review AFTER the level 1 core, PRIOR to starting the regular Grade 1 Core in another year or so.

So far I'm seeing the differences being in the enrichment guides, the writing content, and it looks like the K Core also uses Core Skills 2, whereas Level 1 only uses Core Skills K and 1.

What would I need to use after level 1 prior to starting the regular grade 1 core?

(if he continues to have serious enough fine motor skill problems after level 1 that I doubt he could keep up with the writing in the Grade 1 core, I guess I'll just eagerly anticipate the Level 2 core, lol!)

Via email, I received an inquiry similar to AimeeM's question about moving from SC1 to MP1.

The simple answer is this:

-Strengthen phonics.
        -Be sure your child's fine-motor/writing skills are strong, or be ready to adapt MP1 by substituting some oral work.

To accomplish this, consider these additions:
        1. Core Skills Phonics 2 - available for individual purchase here
        2. MPK Crafts available through the same link. These crafts coordinate with SC1 read-alouds and provide extra fine-motor practice.
        3. Scissors Books, if needed.
        4. Add a little more oral reading practice with your SC1 readers.

Thanks-
        Cheryl

Comment

Working...
        X