Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Register Now - Simply Classical Summer Sessions - Online June 1, 8, 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post

Classical Education for Special Needs - Why & How 12-1:30pm EDT June 1, 8, 15

Classical Education for Special Needs - What & When 2:30 (corrected) -3:30pm EDT June 1, 8, 15

My daughter may join me toward the end of a session, if time permits. She enjoys reading her poems and hopes to share one or two with us. If you have her book, Through Time's Looking Glass, she will happily take requests.

Cheryl

helping you bring a classical education to any child

We completed the first day of these sessions, but registration is still open for anyone interested! Until June 15, registration gains access to any of the previous sessions.

If you would still like to register and listen to the recordings, see these links:

Classical Education for Special Needs - Why & How 12-1:30pm EDT June 1, 8, 15

Classical Education for Special Needs - What & When 2:30-3:30pmEDT June 1, 8, 15

Note the starting time for the second session. This provides an hour in between, if you plan to listen live.

If you missed the first day, both recorded sessions last approximately 60 minutes.

If you can only attend one, the June 1st "Why & How" session provides foundational historical background for all of the others.

Handouts for June 1st are now posted on CherylSwope.com.

Visit our Simply Classical Curriculum page - more resources to come

Thanks to all -

Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child
    Cheryl Swope, M.Ed., with foreword by Dr. Gene Edward Veith

When Test Scores Do Not Soar:
    "A classical education will not remove the child's challenges. Classical education simply provides a means by which the child can be educated - truly educated - in spite of his or her challenges." Simply Classical (Memoria Press, 2013).
    Last edited by pschaeffer; 06-10-2015, 09:08 AM.

Comment

To affirm that Cheryl is not "biased" ;-) Sessions One and Two, Day One, were wonderful! If you are on the fence about joining, please do not hesitate any longer. If you cannot be there "live", you can listen after the fact. Presentation slides will also be available (I was told) about five days after each session "airs". This webinar has been such a blessing to me as we cannot travel to homeschool conventions. Amd since I have two (likely three) stuggling learners, this is the Meat-and-Potatoes of what I want out of a convention anyway.

And I can attend in my pajamas if I want to -- LOL!
      Boy Wonder: 12, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
      Joy Bubble: 10, Seton and MP Electives (Special Needs)
      Snuggly Cowboy: 8, Seton and MP Electives
      The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
      ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Yes, I agree, Anita! Much great "food for thought".

I missed the first session which I will still watch, but did catch the second one. Did you mean the slides she showed for the talk will be available? Just wanted to clarify as I need notes (learn best that way!) and tried my best to take them but I never seem to get it all down. I could relax and listen better if I wasn't trying so hard to get it all down on paper, LOL!

I am looking forward to the next talks.

Comment

Yup! I was listening to session one in the car (in transit from the pool with my kids) and could not see the slides at all. During the Q&A I asked if the slides would be available for viewing since I missed them. I was told they are available typically about five days after each talk streams (or airs, whichever). Not sure how to access that (do they send us a link? Hope so!).

This webinar series could not be more convenient -- seriously.
          The Comedian: 4, Seton/MP Pre-K, though she’ll probably zoom through that in a week.

“Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
          ~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Thank you, ladies. Yes, the first session of Day One lays the foundation for the remainder of the series and is especially slide-dependent. In fact, some material is revealed so nicely on those professionally-created slides, I did not read the material out loud. (This includes Child A, B, and C's character/life, which trump test scores!)

John, WTM I.T. Director, just informed me that he will upload the slides for both Day One sessions soon. Registration for this series is still open.

He will send all registered attendees a link.

Thanks-
            Cheryl

The senate chamber is not open to all; the army, too, is scrupulous in choosing those whom it admits to toil and danger. But a noble mind is free to all men.
            Seneca, Letters to Lucilius

Simply Classical - the book (e-book also available)

Simply Classical - the curriculum - more levels to come

Comment

Received the link to the slides and two sessions last evening. The slides were both of our sessions; the recorded talks were of Cheryl's Session One and a "surprise" session by another presenter. I listened to most of it (as it was very good! LOL!) Will let WTM know.

~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Has anyone else had trouble getting the correct recording of the webinar they ordered? I missed the first session on June 1 but they posted the wrong recording for the one I missed. Instead I got a recording of a talk by Susan Wise Bauer which I had already received because I ordered that one as well. So I have two copies of that one but none of the one I missed, which was the starting point for Cheryl's other talks. I have contacted WTM tech twice and I think they misunderstood what I told them in my first email and they still have not responded to the second email. I had hoped to be able to watch it before the ones coming up this week. Just wondering if anyone else had any issues.
                Thanks!

Comment

Yup, me too. Have not had a chance to contact WTM.

~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Just contacted their IT dept.. Will let you know what shakes out

~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

John (WTM I.T.) is working on providing corrected, updated links to all four sessions from June 1 & 8 for anyone registered.

If you receive these, let me know. (I'll do the same!)

Thanks-
                      Cheryl

CherylSwope.com
                      - today's handout is now posted

Comment

Re: Register Now - Simply Classical Summer Sessions - Online June 1, 8, 15

Update -

As of this morning, they assure me all has been corrected. If you attempt to access previous sessions, you should now hear audio recordings that match slides.

For anyone who would still like to register, you can do so through June 15. New registrants will receive corrected information with a sign-up email. For the Simply Classical sessions, you can register through these links: Part One (3 sessions), Part Two (3 sessions)

After our final day, the 6 sessions will become available as recordings through July 30. See online conference for more information.

Thank you to ALL who have participated in our sessions! We received great questions yesterday during Why & How - Day Two. (Helen Keller Knew Latin: You Can Give Your Challenged Child an Excellent Education). "Live" friends in the audience certainly make sessions more enjoyable from the speaker's perspective!

Thanks-
                        Cheryl

ClassicalSpecialNeeds.com

Comment

They wouldn't if you could hear the pandemonium on my end! Great sessions, both, yesterday. Looking forward to next Monday. Will miss this time when it's over.

~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Just a quick note (as I haven't had time to reply in full):

Thank you, Cheryl, for saying what I have thought so many times about the buffet of options offered now in the home school curriculum marketplace, and at home school conventions in general. I have felt pressure in the past to attend one every year and "pick my curriculum" for the upcoming year -- the implication being that this is something one "should" do every summer. That has always baffled me. I don't know if this is the prevailing thought for most home schoolers, or just the ones I have come in contact with. But I, for one, was not keen to do this because I knew I would end up buying a lot of material that I did not need; that would not suit us; or that we would simply neve use. And I KNEW there had to be ONE option that was best. Thank you for crystallizing that Classical Education IS that one option and that it is the best for any child, even children who struggle. I know that if (heaven forbid) Memoria Press were suddenly to vanish, what course my children's education would -- and should! -- take. It was surprising, refreshing and validating to hear you defend Classical Education so well.

~Pope St John Paul II

Comment

Working...
                            X