Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

age, epilepsy, and classical education

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

age, epilepsy, and classical education

My oldest daughter is 11. She has a seizure disorder dyslexia, dysgraphia, and poor memory issues. She had an IQ test of 73, but the evaluater said the test did not reflect her true capability since she did not test well. She is probably on a second grade level in reading and a 1st grade level in math. I pulled her out of school last school year and have seen some improvement in her learning.

I would really like to start Memoria Press especially with my four other children who do not seem to have epilepsy. However, I am terrified that we are starting a new learning method too late to really help her. Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.

Christa

Originally posted by Christa View Post
    My oldest daughter is 11. She has a seizure disorder dyslexia, dysgraphia, and poor memory issues. She had an IQ test of 73, but the evaluater said the test did not reflect her true capability since she did not test well. She is probably on a second grade level in reading and a 1st grade level in math. I pulled her out of school last school year and have seen some improvement in her learning.

I would really like to start Memoria Press especially with my four other children who do not seem to have epilepsy. However, I am terrified that we are starting a new learning method too late to really help her. Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.
    Christa
    Welcome, Christa.

No need to fear. You will not change everything, only those aspects of her education that do not help her!

You will continue any techniques that helped her improve this past year. Whether you gave her one-on-one instruction, specific strategies to address and accommodate her learning difficulties, or a more relaxed, nurturing approach than the school could provide, any of these will remain.

As for whether it is too late, she is only 11. As a metaphor, consider the research on strength training within exercise programs. When 90-year-old participants engage in purposeful strength training, benefits result. So it is for our children. Even at 11, your daughter will receive new tools for reading, writing, and arithmetic. Perhaps more importantly, you will begin giving her new ways to think about herself, her life, and the world around her. Of course she will need modifications and teaching techniques your other children do not, but even this can help her gain greater self-knowledge.

With the emphasis on good literature within a classical Christian education, she will see that others struggle deeply in life. Conversations can help more courageous "self-talk." For example, "This is difficult, but I will try." (Contrasted with, "This is hard. I can't do it.")

If you decide to move forward, we are here to help you begin and succeed.

Feel free to ask questions or provide more specifics, if time permits.

Thanks-
    Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

Comment

Working...
    X