Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Might have went to low for 10 year old

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might have went to low for 10 year old

Just started Memoria Press this year daughter has ADHD pretty bad must redirect very often. She also has a hard time with math and remembering facts. I went with the 2nd grade core. However I am also doing IEW with her for writing, she has a co-op math class doing Math U See gamma and delta. I did do the 1st forty lessons in Rod and Staff Math 2 but when co-op stated we have just dropped down to what they are covering and Xtra math on the computer. Also for history we have went back and forth on what to do so we have started using Story of the World Volume 1 we are just reading through it and discussing and looking at maps. Science I am just letting her pick topics at this time. Right now for science we have done a quick review of squids just basic information. She wil be going to a lecture on squids and a dissection of squid lab on Monday with a group. We are aslo doing Rad and Staff English 2. I think that is all we are doing right now. We do read the read a louds I bought for the 2nd grade curriculum most weeks. Math is slow but getting better will most likely always be this way due to brain bleed at birth. However today I gave her placement test for Teaching Textbooks in math and did well on the 4th grade level. Think the computer for math has helped her and less frustration between the two of us thinking of doing it next year.

My concern is she is should be in the 5th grade now. I think I would have been better to start her in third this time since I am adding so much. So next year is it possible to do a 3/4 level split without being to confusing with the materials that are related? Then after that go on to 5th grade level and try to get her caught up to her grade level? If I am remembering right some of it is correlated with the literature in 3rd grade. Also she has already done Charolette's Web with another classical study guide in the past.

What would you suggest?

Hi, Brandi.

To recap -

A few months ago, we summarized your daughter's tested skills this way, based on the information provided:

Reading/Decoding 9th grade
    Reading Comprehension 2nd
    Vocabulary 2nd
    Math 2nd (does not yet know +/- facts)

At the time, you mentioned:
    "comprehension, vocabulary, and math were around 2nd grade level. I have re taught math and started over several time and she still can't master her addition and subtraction facts"

For all of these reasons, MP 2 seemed reasonable, so you started in the spring. Given her exceptional decoding skills, it seemed she could move swiftly through lessons while gaining the foundational skills she seemed to lack. Then she could progress to MP 3.

You also noted ADHD with medical conditions that resulted in much missed schooling, unsuccessful attempts at Kumon, and purchases of many homeschooling materials, so you wanted to progress through MP levels to avoid gaps in learning.

After starting MP 2, you taught her with 40 lessons of R&S math, but switched to Math-U-See and math on the computer. You mentioned literature and read-alouds, but it is not clear whether she is successfully answering the vocabulary and comprehension questions either orally or with strong writing skills.

Given all of this, it seems you have several options:

1. Teach Steadily - MP 2
    Return to your original intent of progressing steadily through MP 2, including R&S Math 2, R&S 2 for writing and grammar, Literature Guides 2 for comprehension and vocabulary. Move as swiftly through these lessons as possible, given her age, but ensure that skills are learned, practiced, and mastered. Do not worry about her "grade," but focus on foundational skills. Allow her to progress quickly wherever possible. [Supplement with IEW, computer math, or other co-op classes only if all of these intentionally sequential, steady lessons have been completed.] When she nears successful completion of MP 2, then consider your options for accelerating through MP 3 and 4.

2. Make a Change Now - MP 3 / 4
    Consider jumping immediately to MP 3 with a possible combination of 4, as you describe. (Assess readiness for this decision by giving math lessons or tests near the end of R&S 2, literature questions near the end of MP 2, and recitations near the end of MP 2.)

3. Mix & Match
    Abandon the intent to follow any given level steadily. Instead, purchase and teach all materials individually. Attempt to build her skills through a variety of tutorial resources simultaneously. Teach skills, review, offer practice, enjoy assorted co-op classes, and "catch her up" in the areas she needs help. Some homeschoolers prefer this flexibility.

Regardless of your decision for academic placement, you might also consider a thorough evaluation. You can obtain this from a medical professional, such as a neuropsychologist, or from a team of professionals, such as a neurologist and psychologist to assess intelligence and academic achievement with standardized testing. (See the assessment chapters in Simply Classical for many tips on guiding such an evaluation to benefit your daughter, her education, and her future.) This could prove invaluable for determining her intellectual strengths, her academic areas of concern, and her unique abilities.

Thanks-
    Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

Comment

After her time at Lindamood Bell her reading comprehension when retested was at 6th grade level according to the test they gave.

If we continue with 2nd grade package we should be done in March. Then I thought maybe do 3/4 then move on to fifth.

However this weekend she did some lessons with Teaching Textbooks for math and loved it. Do you not recommended using this for some reason? She said the reason she likes it is because she didn't feel rushed and it gave her time to think.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandi Graham View Post
        After her time at Lindamood Bell her reading comprehension when retested was at 6th grade level according to the test they gave.

If we continue with 2nd grade package we should be done in March. Then I thought maybe do 3/4 then move on to fifth.

However this weekend she did some lessons with Teaching Textbooks for math and loved it. Do you not recommended using this for some reason? She said the reason she likes it is because she didn't feel rushed and it gave her time to think.

If her reading comprehension is now at a 6th-grade level, and her reading/decoding is at a 9th-grade level, she is doing very well! Feel free to substitute Teaching Textbooks for math. If her knowledge of math facts remains weak, consider supplementing with daily math drills in whichever form she prefers (computer, flash cards, oral recitations, audio CD, or written tables).

In the words of a homeschooling friend, inspired by little Dory (from Finding Nemo): "Be intentional and 'just keep teaching, teaching, teaching!'"

Cheryl

Comment

She will be retested at Lindamood Bell in February so that will let me know if she retained it or not. In the paSt retaining has been an issue. Also slower process times. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I also have two special needs girls. we are now using MP modulated 3. Last year we did MP 2. Prior to MP I did a lot of jumping around with curriculum none of which benefitted my girls. I give my vote to sticking with MP2. MP is so rich that I would not worry about her being behind. For what it is worth, my girls are 13 and 17. susan

Comment

Working...
            X