Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Thank you for sharing Swope family!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for sharing Swope family!

I just finished a three-day cram of Simply Classical. I had wanted to read it after listening to the 2012 Conference DVD, not because I have Special Needs children necessarily; but because I taught my eldest so poorly in his early years that we're doing much back-tracking now. Also to get a glimpse and understanding of those who are homeschooling a special-needs child (children). I briefly worked in the public school system as a teacher's aid in the Special Needs department and it was difficult for me for a couple of reasons. It seemed like some of what I saw being treated as discipline issues were more from a lack of loving instruction (from the parents, not school personnel). I also couldn't figure out why some kids were in these classes as they appeared to be relatively 'normal' children. At the time I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong, but in contrasting the differences between a Classical Education and Special Education programs today, I understand a little bit now.

In the early years of homeschooling I had followed the ideas of making school fun and working to a child's particular learning style, as opposed to starting distinctly Classical and modifying where necessary. Also I tried to push a multitude of composition and grammar programs that ended disastrously. I'm more of a concrete-thinker myself, as is my eldest and that has proven to be a struggle with some academics and simply preferring hands-on lessons to working hard academically. For years I tried to provide more hands-on things and avoided (actually shunned) workbooks because they didn't fit his 'learning style'. There were things I recognized in myself and in him as I read this book, such as the orderliness of Latin as a subject, and providing Michael with a 'cubicle-type' work space.

Though I didn't start out well with my eldest, I am excited to get some of your recommended books to catch up in a couple of areas; and just to better understand this Classical model. Truly, it is never too late to start with a Classical Education!

Thank you so much Swope family, for sharing your struggles and success! What a blessing to us all!
    Blessings!
    Kami

I just ordered the book! Looking forward to it!

Comment

Working...
    X