Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Need advice on this years curriculum --- what to purchase??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on this years curriculum --- what to purchase??

I've posted previously & received most excellent help & advice from Cheryl Swope. My 11 year old son with dyslexia, who has really been struggling... and my just turned 8 year old son who has not been tested, but has been struggling still with letter recognition.

Cheryl advised we begin MP this coming school year with the K curriculum for my youngest & the 3rd grade for my 11 year old. I fully agree this is completely necessary & will help them develop a firm foundation to build on, so that we can move ahead.

My question: Previous to coming to the above conclusion, in my other research I had purchased Math U See & Spelling U See for both boys. Would it be wise to substitute those for those MP categories... or should I just forget them & stick solely with the MP curriculum in every subject?? (I plan to buy the complete curriculum sets of K & 3rd).

Thank you!!
    M2TB

Originally posted by Mommy2TwoBoys View Post
    I've posted previously & received most excellent help & advice from Cheryl Swope. My 11 year old son with dyslexia, who has really been struggling... and my just turned 8 year old son who has not been tested, but has been struggling still with letter recognition.

Cheryl advised we begin MP this coming school year with the K curriculum for my youngest & the 3rd grade for my 11 year old. I fully agree this is completely necessary & will help them develop a firm foundation to build on, so that we can move ahead.

My question: Previous to coming to the above conclusion, in my other research I had purchased Math U See & Spelling U See for both boys. Would it be wise to substitute those for those MP categories... or should I just forget them & stick solely with the MP curriculum in every subject?? (I plan to buy the complete curriculum sets of K & 3rd).

Thank you!!
    M2TB

Dear M2TB,

Many people successfully substitute math and other curricula. If you want to do this for any reason, you can call MP for information on making this possible.

However, for your own homeschooling purposes, the easiest option would be to obtain all of the MP curriculum in every subject. This would allow you to follow the lesson plans without re-thinking your own planning every week (or every day). Especially for your first MP year, this might be preferable. Wherever the Memoria Press lesson plans intentionally integrate across subjects, this would make both teaching and learning more streamlined.

Bonus - both Math-U-See and Spelling-U-See should be relatively easy to re-sell.

The best reason to keep the other programs would be if you already found success with them. However, you're just starting, so you can have a "clean slate," if you would like.

Another option is to save the Demme programs and see how the year progresses. You can always re-evaluate, if you can afford financially to wait on the decision.

Whichever you decide, I hope the year goes very well for you and your boys!

Thanks-
    Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

Comment

Thank you! I have one more question! I'm looking at the 3rd grade full curriculum package for my 11 year old. Neither of my children have studied Latin before. The package comes with Latina Christiana I. Is that where he would begin? Or should I be substituting the Prima Latina? I see that the K package does not have any Latin listed... I guess they start in the 2nd grade? I'm assuming that my Kindergartener will benefit from hearing his brother's Latin recitations even if he isn't formally learning it yet himself.

MT2B

Comment

Given your older son's previous challenges and frustrations with learning, Prima Latina might be a good substitute. He would review the content of Prima Latina in Latina Christiana I the following year, so this could greatly help his confidence.

Meanwhile, yes, your younger son will benefit from overhearing the recitations in Prima Latina. He could begin this formally after his own phonics skills are strong. Memoria Press does not begin Latin in kindergarten, because of the preferred emphasis on foundational reading, writing, and arithmetic skills. Even so, many families find their younger children praying the Latin prayers right alongside their older children!

You can request separate MP lesson plans for Prima Latina, if you would like to substitute. However, if you would prefer to teach exactly as written, you can see the 3rd grade sample plans here. As long as you have plenty of time to review with flash cards and DVD's, he might do well with Latina Christiana I. You can even extend LC I over two years, as we did.

If you would prefer to begin with an even more gentle introduction, Prima Latina will give him a good start and is a manageable substitution.

I hope that helps -
        Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

Comment

Working...
        X