Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Louisville MP Teacher Training Conference: Special Needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Louisville MP Teacher Training Conference: Special Needs

Everyone,

We're working on the schedule for our 2014 special-needs sessions in Louisville.

For those who plan to attend, what would be most helpful to you?
    • Teaching techniques for each subject?
    • Evaluation and assessment?
    • Definitions of diagnoses?
    • Methods for modiying existing MP resources?
    • Opportunities to provide input for upcoming SC curriculum levels?
    • Time to ask questions about your own child(ren)?
    • Time to talk with other parents/teachers of children with special needs?
    • Other?

Some items are already scheduled, such as the excellent plenary sessions you will want to attend.

Send remaining elements of your ideal 3 days for special needs, and we'll try to schedule them!

Thanks-
    Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child
    Cheryl Swope, M.Ed., with Foreword by Dr. Gene Edward Veith
    cherylswope.com

NEW Simply Classical Curriculum for Special Needs

I'm not able to go so certainly my vote doesn't get too much weight.

But in the interest of getting the topics onto the DVD I'd be interested in 'Teaching techniques for each subject' and 'Methods for modifying existing MP resources'

Comment

Thanks, Katie.

I'm hoping to finalize the special-needs sessions by the end of this week, so they can be added to the schedule.

We will include the topics you mentioned.

Another question for everyone:

Should we focus solely on academics, or might we want to include a special-needs session on behavior/discipline/sensory/social-emotional skills?

Thanks for any input. We only gather once a year, so we want to offer the most helpful sessions! Other ideas are welcome.

Cheryl

Comment

Everyone,

Below please find the schedule for our special-needs track (and more) Wed-Fri, July 30-Aug 1.

You can still register here.

Wednesday, July 30
        8:30-4:00 Latin Workshops, 6 levels
        half-day instruction New American Cursive
        6:30 dessert, coffee
        7pm Andrew Pudewa - humor in teaching & speaking

Thursday, July 31
        Plenary "Classical Education and the Future: Two Keys for Success" Mrs. Cheryl Lowe
        9:00-9:30 Opening for Special Needs
        9:30-11 Latin for Special Needs
        11-12 Math for Special Needs

1:15 Plenary "Power with Pen and Paper: What Research Says" Andrew Pudewa
        2-5 Attend sessions of your choice -- English Grammar for the Grammar Stage Spotlight, JrK-3rd Model Day, Classical Studies, Literature, & more

Friday, August 1
        8:15 Plenary "The Siren Song of Progressive Education" Martin Cothran
        9-10 Phonics & Reading Spotlight
        10-11 Spelling Spotlight (& other options)
        11-12 Composition for Special Needs

1:15 Plenary "My Life Among the Progressives" Ken Dennis

2-3 History & Science for Special Needs
        3-3:45 Behavior/Social Skills for Special Needs
        3:45-4:45 Rollout SC curriculum - review new packages & offer input for future levels

Only the plenary sessions will be recorded onto DVD, so I hope you can attend these unique workshops!

Please spread the word to other groups of homeschoolers with special-needs children.

Thanks-
        Cheryl

Comment

I'm definitely jealous of those who can attend. I'm a bit bummed that the Special Needs workshops/seminars don't seem to be set to be included on the DVD. I understand the limits of set up and technology though.

Enjoy, everybody!

Comment

Just a quick update - the 2014 MP conference is now full!

We do not yet know exact dates for 2015, but you can start saving now and join us next summer.

For those already registered for 2014, be sure to introduce yourself, whether you "lurk" or post.

Looking forward to meeting you in Louisville.

Thanks-
            Cheryl

Comment

conference this month input

sorry just seeing this. Here's my feedback though it is very late.

Teaching techniques for each subject? yes, that would be helpful. I need help differentiating for children with memory issues and with auditory processing problems who sometimes do better with visual support.
              Evaluation and assessment? Not really what I am hoping for.
              Definitions of diagnoses? I absolutely am not interested in this and honestly would go to other sessions on main track rather than going through this. I spend so much time researching/looking at definitions and info. specific to my children's brain injuries (FAS) that I don't need more of this. sorry...
              Methods for modiying existing MP resources? I have to be honest. I don't use strictly memoria press products at this time. I'd prefer it to be so that I can apply modifications/tools for teaching classical materials to my children (so that I can do it without having to buy any particular curriculum).
              Opportunities to provide input for upcoming SC curriculum levels? Not really why I signed up so I don't want to spend much time on this. I'd be glad to write down or share them but I need help with modifying classical teaching core (I'm saying core b/c I mean the general content that tends to be at heart of teaching classical education must necessarily a boxed curriculum). I need help differentiating for my children's struggles while also teaching a more neurotypical son...juggling a preschooler and a child more neurotypical and pretty bright versus 2 children with brain injury/FAS.
              Time to ask questions about your own child(ren)? yes...
              Time to talk with other parents/teachers of children with special needs? yes perhaps.
              Other? Not sure...today, my mind is on how to keep my 11 year old with FAS who is emotionally 3 occupied when I am switching out my kids for phonics/reading lessons which I have to do one on one at this time. today went south b/c she finished practicing her reading and starting talking ugly/and disturbing siblings working on other projects.

Comment

Originally posted by HeatherB View Post
                Here's my feedback though it is very late.

Teaching techniques for each subject? yes, that would be helpful. I need help differentiating for children with memory issues and with auditory processing problems who sometimes do better with visual support.

...I'd prefer it to be so that I can apply modifications/tools for teaching classical materials to my children (so that I can do it without having to buy any particular curriculum).

...I need help with modifying classical teaching core (I'm saying core b/c I mean the general content that tends to be at heart of teaching classical education...).

...I need help differentiating for my children's struggles while also teaching a more neurotypical son...juggling a preschooler and a child more neurotypical and pretty bright versus 2 children with brain injury/FAS.

Time to ask questions about your own child(ren)? yes...

Time to talk with other parents/teachers of children with special needs? yes perhaps.

Excellent! Thank you for your honesty, Heather. For anyone else attending the MP conference, it is not too late to respond!

Another note: some people enjoy having a signed book. If you are one of these and would like to bring your copy of Simply Classical, please do. We will also have copies available at the conference. I will be available any time.

I'm looking forward to reaching beyond the limitations of our computer screens and meeting some of you face-to-face!

Thanks-
                Cheryl

Comment

Working...
                X