Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Level A book list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Level A book list

Are most of the books in Level A board books of the version where both are sold? Like in considering the Dr Seuss books, I know the board books are abridged from the 6x9 hardcover Beginning Books.
    Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020 · Homeschooling since 2011.
    Trekking along at a student self-pace...
    DD Summer 2009 · 5th
    DD Summer 2011 · SC4
    DS Summer 2014 · K
    DD Summer 2017 · Pre
    DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
    Blog: Creative Madness Mama
    @ CherryBlossomMJ

Not understanding this question. Do you mean are the board books abridged versions of the non-board book? It's been a long time since I've had little ones, but the books look the same as I remember them from the past. If they are abridged, it is only slightly.

Tanya

Comment

I'm assuming she's asking if the books that are included in the package are the board books or the regular ones. example: Put Me in the Zoo. it's available retail as both board book and regular size Dr Seuss book. Which is in the package? (the board books are abridged versions)

Comment

They are mostly board books, especially Level A. Level C is mostly the books from our JK curriculum, so they are not board books.

Tanya

Comment

makes sense. Dr Suess (unabridged) is pretty long for little ones! We still love the boardbook version of Hands, Hands, Fingers, Thumbs

Comment

Originally posted by CherryBlossomMJ View Post
            Are most of the books in Level A board books of the version where both are sold? Like in considering the Dr Seuss books, I know the board books are abridged from the 6x9 hardcover Beginning Books.
            Most of our Level A board books originated as board books (e.g., Joni Walker's books).

One exception is Big Dog, Little Dog. The board book version is too abridged for our purposes, especially in the area of oral language, so we selected the "tall" version.

hth-
            Cheryl

Comment

She got me. I was hoping that's what it was. Yes Put Me in the Zoo is just now fun for my budding reader. But Put Me in the Zoo: A Book of Colors is much more appropriate for my younger. Same to Dr Seuss' ABC vs ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book (this was the first one I noticed the abridgement in).

DD Summer 2009 · 5th
              DD Summer 2011 · SC4
              DS Summer 2014 · K
              DD Summer 2017 · Pre
              DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
              @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Big Dog... Little Dog is the "real book". So then what about the other Beginner Books series?

DD Summer 2009 · 5th
                DD Summer 2011 · SC4
                DS Summer 2014 · K
                DD Summer 2017 · Pre
                DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
                @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Originally posted by CherryBlossomMJ View Post
                  Big Dog... Little Dog is the "real book". So then what about the other Beginner Books series?
                  Yes, given the intended chronological/mental age of 2-3 years for Level A, the other Beginner Books are the abridged board books.

Even the abridged Dr. Seuss's ABC: An Amazing Alphabet Book is challenging, so we spend Weeks 6 & 7 with the book, then review again later!

Good question. If you purchase the set and notice any book that might be more appropriately included as abridged or unabridged, rather than the version we selected, please let us know!

Thanks-
                  Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

Cheryl Swope, M.Ed., with Foreword by Dr. Gene Edward Veith

Comment

Level B book list

What is the version of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star book?

Was the First Prayers (Tudor) replaced by the Eloise Wilkin's book? (picture on index page vs written list on B page)

I'm impatiently waiting for the Level C list!

DD Summer 2009 · 5th
                    DD Summer 2011 · SC4
                    DS Summer 2014 · K
                    DD Summer 2017 · Pre
                    DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
                    @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

1. What is the version of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star book?

We selected Caldecott medal winner Jerry Pinkney's version. The book artistically blends wonder, nature, and poetry:

One of the most acclaimed children's book illustrators of our time now takes his legendary skill with watercolor to new heights in this lavish visual adventure. As a curious little chipmunk leaves his nest to greet the twilight, he gazes at the glittering sky above him. He ... notice(s) the sparkling dewdrops on a spider's web, the lights of the fireflies, and the shimmers of moonlight on the water. "How I wonder what you are!" marvels the tiny creature....

2. Was the First Prayers (Tudor) replaced by the Eloise Wilkin's book?

You are observant! Like many of Tasha Tudor's books, First Prayers is currently unavailable. We substituted one of my daughter's favorites, a lovely little book entitled Prayer for a Child, by Rachel Field.

(The book you spotted, Prayers for Children, illustrated by Eloise Wilkin, was an original choice for the collection. This remains part of Level B.)

Thanks-
                      Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

Cheryl Swope, M.Ed., with Foreword by Dr. Gene Edward Veith

Comment

Ahh, so this one: http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/...jerry-pinkney/

Great! I have it and love it!

Thanks for the clarity on the prayer books. I don't have the award winner one that you chose, but I've considered buying it for years after seeing it in the library. A couple years ago I did buy the Tudor one but I believe I returned it. It was a bit of a price for the itty size and quantity if prayers. We love the Wilkin one and I'm glad to see it crossing over packages.

DD Summer 2009 · 5th
                        DD Summer 2011 · SC4
                        DS Summer 2014 · K
                        DD Summer 2017 · Pre
                        DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
                        @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

Working...
                        X