Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Questions on testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on testing

Hi, I have been having concerns about Julie, 12 YOG with low IQ. I am worried about her hearing and auditory processing. I looked into having her tested at a local hospital. They said because of her low IQ they would not do aud. proc. testing. Any suggestions? All her testing was done so far through the public school system. Should I look into having private testing. Also, I see in your book that your children visit a neurologist regularly. We have never been to a neurologist. Is this important?

Also, I have been looking at the writing MP offers in future years. The classical writing program on fables looks extremely challenging. I am not sure my girls will be able to do that? Do you have any suggestions for writing? Thanks for the help, Susan

Hi, Susan.

Hearing & Auditory Processing
    You have several options:
    -return to the public school system with a specific request for hearing and auditory processing testing
    -speak to your pediatrician about your concerns and ask for a referral to someone he recommends
    -contact ASHA and ask specifically for someone experienced with hearing and auditory processing evaluations in children with low I.Q. See this ASHA article for more information.

Private Testing
    If you want a more thorough evaluation, you could consider this. An updated I.Q. measure with specific subtest scores can be especially helpful. You could request updated intelligence and academic testing.

Neurology
    You can ask your pediatrician if an evaluation by a pediatric neurologist would be helpful. Children see neurology for seizures, cerebral palsy, and other reasons. My daughter's neurologist manages the care of her movement disorders, tremors, migraines, sleep disorders, and other issues. For an in-depth article on Intellectual Disability and Neurology, see this from the Merck Manual. The article has far more information than you will need, but you can ask her doctor whether any of the conditions or situations might apply to Julie.

Writing
    -As you progress in her studies, the literature guides will provide opportunities for daily writing. You can work on good sentence formation within these.
    -If she already forms good sentences (capital letters and end marks every time, subject and verb, descriptive vocabulary), you can move to writing paragraphs.
    -From there, you can progress to the essay. (See the Essay thread on our forum for reminders.)
    -You can boost her writing practice with Copybooks and Composition books.
    -For a more formal program, see Intro to Composition and English Grammar Recitation from Memoria Press.
    -If she completes ALL of the above but is not ready for CC Fable and needs more instruction, she might enjoy Writing With Ease (Peace Hill Press). You could also consider R&S Spelling and English books to provide more formal instruction.

We hope to have a journal called My Thankfulness Journal ready for our special-needs students soon. This might be something you could add to your daughter's program. As our special-needs children approach (or endure) adolescence, this can be especially important. I could not find one for my daughter, because most diaries do not have large dotted lines to help her handwriting. This one will!

Thanks-
    Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

Cheryl Swope, M.Ed., with Foreword by Dr. Gene Edward Veith

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet heart View Post
      Hi, I have been having concerns about Julie, 12 YOG with low IQ. I am worried about her hearing and auditory processing.
      Susan,
      I so enjoyed meeting you and all of your girls at the Great Homeschool Convention the past few days! Thoughts of Grace and Julie made me smile on the long drive home.

Here is some information on auditory processing that you might find helpful, even if you cannot find someone to evaluate Julie formally right now. Although she is 12, I included the symptoms and strategies from early childhood, because some of these might apply too.

For more information, see ncld.org, where such difficulties are explored more fully. From NCLD:

AUDITORY PROCESSING

Early Childhood

Common difficulties include

Learning to speak;
      Understanding spoken language;
      Separating meaningful sounds from background noise;
      Remembering stories or songs;
      Staying focused on a person's voice;
      Unusual sensitivity to noise;
      Confusing similar sounding words;
      Difficulty in understanding speech.

Accommodation and modification strategies

Keep directions simple - only tell your child one step at a time;
      Give directions both orally and visually - show your child what you mean;
      Speak slowly - especially when your child is hearing information for the first time;
      Maintain eye contact while speaking;
      Limit background noise when teaching new information or giving directions;
      Provide specific opportunities to practice skills that build vocabulary, rhyming, segmenting and blending words.

School-Age Children

Remembering and following spoken directions;
      Remembering people's names;
      Sounding out new words;
      Seeming to ignore others when engrossed in a non-speaking activity;
      Understanding people who speak quickly;
      Finding the right words to use when talking.

Combine oral teaching with visual aids;
      Ask that teachers and others make it physically, visually or audibly clear when they are about to begin something important so that nothing is missed;
      Have a note-taking buddy who will make sure that information was understood;
      Request seating close to teacher;
      Have child repeat back information or instructions to build comprehension skills and make sure messages are understood correctly.

Teenagers and Adults

Talks louder than necessary;
      Remembering a list or sequence;
      Often needs words or sentences repeated;
      Poor ability to memorize information learned by listening;
      Interprets words too literally;
      Hearing clearly in noisy environments.

Find or request a quiet work space away from others.
      Request written material when you attend oral presentations.
      Ask for directions to be given one at a time, as you go through each step.
      Take notes or use a tape recorder when getting any new information, even little things.

For anyone else reading this post, NCLD offers descriptions of other commonly experienced difficulties such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, and more.

Thanks for introducing yourself and your family.

Cheryl

Comment

Questions on testing

I so enjoyed meeting you and hearing you speak. Even though I have read your book, it was so nice to hear you tell your story. Your suggestions are wonderful. I tried your suggestion of giving Julie something visual along with auditory. I tried that today and worked beautifully.

I was very impressed with what I saw of MP at the conference. I guess everthing they do is with simplicity and beauty. Any company that so supports a family struggling to educate a special needs child will certainly receive my support.

I have lots of questions from hearing you speak, but I won't bombard you all at once. The first one being how to deal with discipline issues. I wonder if Grace has the defiant oppositional disorder you mentioned, or maybe a character issue. She can be very difficult for us all to deal with and it seems to be getting worse instead of better. Another thing, I would love to come to the conference at MP this summer. We are going to a conference in Cincinnati July 31- Aug 2. Would it be worthwhile to come to the conference for just July 30th? Thanks again!! Please thank your daughter for me for sharing her story. Tell her it has changed my life and my children's.

Comment

Yes, I would have appreciated more time just to visit about specific questions. I hope to remedy that for next year's GHC events.

They're asking me for new session ideas. I might suggest "Classical Education & Special Needs: Let's Talk," a discussion-based session focusing on direct Q&A. We can proceed with topics and initial tips to give the session structure, but then allow for discussions: 10-15 minutes on classical education and behavior, 10-15 minutes on classical ed with higher-functioning special-needs children, 10-15 on classical ed with lower-functioning children, etc. I could ask for multiple microphones, so questions and answers will be heard on the audio recordings.

MP conference

Yes, even if only for a day, I think you will appreciate being in a room filled with very like-minded people. Imagine this -- not only do all of the moms in our MP sessions have special-needs children, but they all appreciate and teach from Memoria Press resources. There is a "short-hand" in the discussions that is not possible elsewhere.

At the MP conference, our special-needs sessions have been small enough for us to share specific concerns. We can then brainstorm together to solve problems. No one is recording, so we are free to discuss at length.

As you would expect from Memoria Press, MP conferences reflect the "multum non multa" model. We delve more deeply. We can all share meals together, so this helps even more.

I hope to see you in Louisville.

We invite anyone else on our forum to attend. In addition to our own special-needs sessions, you will attend all of the excellent plenary sessions and enjoy the option of many pre-conference activities. For more information: Memoria Press Teacher Training Conference, July 30-August 1. Free admission to this conference is obtained by purchasing $500 in Memoria Press books by May 2014.

About Discipline
          This is challenging with lower-functioning children or with any special-needs child. I found this especially difficult when my children reached adolescence. I mistakenly assumed that when the young person still seems so young and still thinks so concretely, she will not acquire an age-typical determination to assert her own independence!

Some tips:

-Realize that some of the assertion is "normal" and can be accommodated within reasonable limits.

For example, we have more give-and-take now, but I retain the final decision. Clothing is one arena where this has changed for us. She can now have more input, but I always have the last word (largely to protect her from wearing something with unintended consequences). Another area is academics. She can add a course in poetry, but if she wants to "opt out" of mathematics, that is not an option!

-Consider outside opportunities for Grace to enjoy some independence in an appropriate way.

Could she serve in a ladies' group at church by herself for an hour or two weekly? Could she attend a club or special-needs sports on her own? These might help her see the need to be flexible, mannerly, and agreeable in other settings.

-Attach her own desired activities (e.g., computer time) to your desired behaviors (e.g., speaking respectfully, completing her work, and following directions without arguing).

You want her to stop practicing those undesirable behaviors. As she practices more acceptable behavior, she will gain experience in self-control. This will serve her (and others) everywhere she goes. Fwiw, in Cincinnati Grace seemed to possess a strong personality but was well-behaved, eager, friendly, and polite!

Others here might have additional suggestions for you. Jude would be helpful here, but she has been away for a while. Anyone?

Thank you for the encouragement. I did talk with my daughter last night after her usual hour-long embrace upon arrival. While tucking her in, I said, "Michelle, there is no way to explain to you how far-reaching your story has become or how many people you have helped, but I want to try." I sat on her bed. She listened. Then she nodded and said thoughtfully, "Even though I am only as a speck of dust, or a grain of sand by the ocean, my story should be told."

Thanks-
          Cheryl

Comment

Questions on testing

Michelle's gift with language is precious. Susan

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet heart View Post
              ...Another thing, I would love to come to the conference at MP this summer. We are going to a conference in Cincinnati July 31- Aug 2. Would it be worthwhile to come to the conference for just July 30th?
              Hi, Susan.

Just a quick note to let you know that Wednesday, the 30th, features a full day of Latin sessions & a half day of New American Cursive training. While these workshops would benefit your two younger girls, our special-needs sessions do not begin until Thursday morning.

See the itinerary here.

I hope Grace has been more compliant lately. Focusing on desired character traits sometimes helps. When rigidity or irritability begins to dominate for one (or both) of my special-needs teens, I often write on our white board "flexible" and "agreeable."

With a quick review of definitions, I give a reminder of how much more harmonious our days become when we all endeavor to be a little more flexible and agreeable!

Thanks-
              Cheryl

Comment

Working...
              X