Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

re: Easier Egyptian Myths Book than Morley One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: Easier Egyptian Myths Book than Morley One?

we followed recommendation in Latin Centered Curriculum book we bought from Memoria of reading Morley's Egyptian Myths book and it is too hard for my children. My son who is 6 is highly interested in it but I think it is challenging even for him (and he is usually able to listen to pretty challenging material for his age). It is not workable at all for my 9 and 10 year old children who are on FASD spectrum. Any other Egyptian myths books/versions that might be less challenging as read-alouds or do I just postpone this since it's not working at learning level recommended in LCC book?

Thanks,

Heather

Hi, Heather.

If you cannot find a desirable substitute, you can easily postpone this. Mrs. Lowe's explanation of teaching history might place the book in perspective.

Thanks-
    Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

Cheryl Swope, M.Ed., with Foreword by Dr. Gene Edward Veith

Comment

re: Alternatives to Morely's Egyptian Myths

I hope I can find a sub or pacify my 6 year old with finishing it and returning it to the library (to re-read it in 1-3 years). He is the one who I tried a myth with and then he didn't want me to stop.

Other children's books on Egyptian mythology that I have found so far (but have not seen in person so I'm going to request through interlibrary loan):
      Gods and Pharaohs from Egyptian Mythology
      By Geraldine Harris

http://www.amazon.com/Pharaohs-Egypt.../dp/0872269086
      Egyptian Gods and Goddesses (level 4 reader) by Henry Barker

http://www.amazon.com/Egyptian-Godde...2MEQ3F154EY5K1

5th grade & beyond (looks to be even more challenging than Morley's)
      http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Ancient-...+ancient+egypt

Comment

Heather, I am not familiar with the Morley book, so I don't know how it compares to the book i am going to suggest.

Treasury of Egyptian mythology: classic stories of gods, goddesses, monsters & mortals, written by Donna Jo Napoli, illustrated by Christina Balit. Published by National Geographic.

This is a beautiful book and perhaps might suit? At least, it is another option for you to look at; maybe even simply for your own edification?
        homeschooling mother to a 16yo boy & 18yo girl, both learning at the high school level, and an adult son whom I homeschooled all the way through. You are welcome to read more about our homeschooling life at my blog: link via my username. Please forgive any typos in my comments here! I'm disabled and can't always type clearly.

Comment

re: Alternatives to Morely's Egyptian Myths

Thank you for sharing that book! I have ordered it from library to see how it compares to the Morley one. I do like that the one you recommended does have an audio version which might good for supporting my children's understanding of it whether I use it now or in the future.

Thanks!

Comment

I'm going to have to take a look at those titles, too! I love Egyptian mythology & history.

I need to find similar for Greek myths. D'aulaires is great but over their heads for now. My dd (5) recently became enthralled with Perseus and andromeda after I read a book about the constellations and their stories (once upon a starry night). It's hard to find picture books with enough details of the real story to retain the gist without being way too wordy. That and andromeda gets left out of most of them.

Comment

Working...
            X