Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Update on our school year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on our school year

We are trudging along following the 2nd grade MP core with my two special needs daughters. Somewhere along the way they have been able to do some of the work themselves. Somewhere along the way my daughter told me she loves school. this from a daughter who hated school all along. and somewhere along the way this mom fell in love with homeschooling again. Thanks so much MP for believing in a classical curriculum for my mentally retarded girls. Susan

Thank you, Susan. You have such a gentle writing style. Yours is still one of my favorite Simply Classical reviews.

I am so happy for your girls. And I especially appreciate this:

Somewhere along the way this mom fell in love with homeschooling again.

Some time ago on this forum, you and I discussed our children's social rejection. I have an update for you in return! From a church luncheon Sunday...

Merciful Acceptance

Perhaps only a parent of the shunned appreciates such a moment. You will understand if, like mine, your child's diagnoses spill over to the back of any doctor's intake form. You will know why I cringed during the church luncheon, when my daughter eagerly approached two teenage girls she did not know.

I looked at my husband. His silent nod said, "Yes, go rescue her (and them) if this does not go well."

Ready to usher her away, I heard Michelle's loud, enthusiastic chatter, as she joined the two teens and introduced herself. She looked younger than these 13-year-old girls. Michelle explained, "The funny thing about my being almost 19? I'm still a kid!"

I searched the girls' faces. No rolling eyes, no quizzical or secret looks. They looked shyly at their dessert plates. Neither spoke. I held my breath. With a sheepish shrug, the younger girl offered, "Well, I still watch SpongeBob."

I sat back.

Though unfamiliar with this character, Michelle offered some happy facts about ScoobyDoo. "Oh, I love ScoobyDoo!" the girl replied. So far, so good.

Michelle asked the other girl, "What do you like to do?" (So much coaching bears fruit.)

When the older teen answered quietly, "Reading, especially historical fiction," I knew the conversation would flow easily now. Michelle asked with a delighted giggle whether her new friend had read any of her own favorite series. She listed them.

I walked away, so Michelle could enjoy her moment of acceptance. With not a single secret look, Emma and Cici shared "girl time" with Michelle.

My daughter beamed all the way home.

Those girls will never know what they gave my daughter in thirty minutes over a simple plate of church brownies.

Good to hear from you, Susan.

Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

Cheryl Swope, M.Ed., with Foreword by Dr. Gene Edward Veith
    cherylswope.com

Comment

Working...
    X