Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Peace and Poetry in Hymnody for the Special-Needs Child (and for all of us)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peace and Poetry in Hymnody for the Special-Needs Child (and for all of us)

Our "New Curriculum Package" thread is by far our most popular. Your input has been invaluable. Thank you. We welcome more requests and will try to incorporate as many suggestions as possible.

As we all wait for the completion of these packages, consider lines of poetry from the hymnody of your own tradition for beautiful recitations, copywork, or morning songs for your special-needs child.

I attribute my own daughter's love of poetry, at least in part, to the richness of the words she has heard and sung in our home many mornings and in church every week.

This Sunday, in the midst of trials, I especially appreciated these words:

"In suff'ring be Thy love my peace
    In weakness be Thy love my pow'r."

The full text:

Jesus, Thy Boundless Love to Me
    Paul Gerhardt, 1607-76

Jesus, Thy boundless love to me
    No thought can reach no tongue declare;
    Unite my thankful heart to Thee,
    And reign without a rival there!
    Thine wholly, Thine alone, I am;
    Be Thou alone my constant flame.