Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Greetings/Intro - Would you say a prayer for me today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings/Intro - Would you say a prayer for me today?

Hi All,

I'm a homeschooling mom in Virginia, educating two boys (ages 11 and 8.) Both my boys have some learning challenges although my older son's are significantly more mild than my younger son's. I ordered Simply Classical as soon as it was available and have read it twice this summer. Thank you, Cheryl, for your wonderful testimony, encouragement and practical ideas detailed in the book. (Although, at first read, I confess that I was left in despair and feeling that I'm a loser of homeschooling mom, that I've messed up my son even more, that he could have been so much further along if I had just done what Cheryl had done when her kids were so young. Another mom here locally homeschooling a son with autism has felt the same after first reading the book. My second time around with the book enabled me to have a more clear and open mind and I left the self-condemnation behind.)

My younger son is globally, developmentally delayed. He is nowhere close to functioning where a typical 8 year old functions, although he does read.
    I spend hours upon hours everyday on literally everything. The writing is taking years to happen. I sit directly behind him and help him, hand over hand, form his letters and, over time, have begun to let go, more and more to encourage greater independence.

His speech, his processing, his motivation, ....it's all just so challenged. And today is just a day I could use prayers from some people who "get it". I know this may seem like a strange way to introduce myself but I'm a total and complete "lone island" living on the east coast with all our family on the west coast. I have zero community here. We aren't in a co-op (because my son would struggle so much) and we are just hungering for some homeschooling connection with other families, even if it just needs to be via cyberspace for now!

Thank you all and as I sign off I am saying a prayer for your day today.

Warmly,
    Susan in VA

Welcome, Susan.

Thank you for your honesty. Based on your comments this morning, I just added some key wording and yet another section for the next printing. The LAST thing I want to do is discourage anyone!

Rest assured that it is never too late for your children. Any small idea(s) you take from the book and from other resources will continue to help them in the future.

I am so thankful that you reread the book and left your own self-condemnation behind! We wanted the book to be helpful, encouraging, and packed with strategies for anyone who can use them. I hope this will be the case for you -- and eventually for your friend. Please find (in another thread on this forum) a free index to make the book even more useful as a reference.

And btw, if it is any consolation, I look at my own children so many times -- especially when my dear 18yo daughter walks around the house with one sock on and one off or still has trouble spelling "Scene" in every play she writes -- and I think, "If only I had done this (or that) differently...." But if I think this way out loud, my husband always tells me, "Stop."

I think it is perfectly normal for us to wonder what else we can do, where we have erred, or how our own failings have impacted our children. But we are forgiven. All we can do is press on from where we are at the moment. Certainly with your own son at only eight years of age, you have at least an entire decade ahead of you!

You write:
    My younger son is globally, developmentally delayed. He is nowhere close to functioning where a typical 8 year old functions, although he does read.
    I spend hours upon hours everyday on literally everything. The writing is taking years to happen. I sit directly behind him and help him, hand over hand, form his letters and, over time, have begun to let go, more and more to encourage greater independence.

This, too, sounds perfectly normal for our children! I remember one year when mine were in first grade, another homeschooling mom asked me, "Do you spend 90 minutes a day on homeschooling, as they recommend?" I just laughed. My own son's processing speed has always been abysmal, so even when we used Saxon math, the 5-minute-a-day "mental math" exercises stretched to 30 minutes. (So much for the intended "quick" daily review before the lesson!) This is what so many do not understand -- how very hard it is for them, and how very hard it is for us. But we persevere together.

The very encouraging news here is that your son can already read!! This will help immensely. Use books, not screens, whenever possible for his free time.

And you write this:
    His speech, his processing, his motivation, ....it's all just so challenged. And today is just a day I could use prayers from some people who "get it".

Yes, everyone here most certainly understands. Invite your discouraged friend to come here too. We are moms with little ones, moms with grammar-school children, and moms with teens. And we all "get it!" I am praying for you and your boys today.

Long days require much support for mom. If you're like me, weekdays filled with homeschooling special-needs children do not allow much time for lunch with other moms or even telephone conversations. Email/cyber-support is often easier, because we can do this in pieces, while our children work quietly or sleep at night. (Otherwise, just as soon as we pick up the phone or have a friend over for coffee, structure dissolves ... and so do our children!)

Finally, you offered this:
    Thank you all and as I sign off I am saying a prayer for your day today.
    Warmly,
    Susan in VA

Very thoughtful -- and appreciated. Thank you. If you have specific questions or struggles, feel free to share.

Good to have you here --

Cheryl

Comment

Working...
    X