Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Dressing for School

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dressing for School

I know we have had inquiries into how to get our children to understand when it is time to do school. I just wanted to add that, for my children, having school uniforms has helped immensely. I get ours from Lands End, but you could use any sturdy similar options. In addition to cutting out discussions/arguments about what is appropriate for the day's events (Mass, library, etc...) it is a strong signal to even preschoolers that this is a "school day," not a weekend, and there are different rules for school days. Some added benefits are that uniforms hold up better to repeated washing and that I can immediately locate all of my children when we are out. And if someone wanders off at the library, I don't have that moment of panic where I don't remember what they are wearing. When we are out, people assume that my children all attend a private school that has the day off. It's actually true, because, in Texas, each homeschool is legally a private school.
    Blessings,
    Jude

Dd 16, Ds 13, Ds 10, Ds 8, Dd 6, Ds 4, Dd 14 mos.

Jude,

I love this idea! Where were you 15 years ago??

My daughter wears Lands End uniform skorts for every day. They're sturdy and modest, yet cute. I'm sure there are other sources for these, but the consistent sale prices have helped keep her closet stocked. Some items on sale now:

http://www.landsend.com/shop/school-...ms/-/N-g54Zjl7

Thanks for the tip to use school uniforms as a tangible, visual, predictable structure to homeschooling for our special-needs kids.

One of these days you'll need to videotape your school in session, so we can all benefit from a "Best Practices" video clip!

Thanks-
    Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child
    Cheryl Swope, M.Ed., with Foreword by Dr. Gene Edward Veith
    www.memoriapress.com

Comment

Jude wrote: I just wanted to add that, for my children, having school uniforms has helped immensely.

Another quick thought on this topic:

For Jude and other homeschoolers with uniforms, do you place the school name on your children's uniforms?

My husband and I were recently reflecting on the sense of belonging that a child gains from participation in a group. In our rural town, my daughter could not easily participate in Girl Scouts or other groups of children.

I often wanted to create school shirts for our own home school, Excelsior Academy, but never did. I think this would have been helpful for her over the years. My husband and I could have worn the shirts too, especially for outings. Whenever other children joined us for tutoring or for Latin class, even if only for a single school year, we could have made them honorary members.

Does anyone else here give a formal name to your home school?

A variation of uniforms could be a large set of same-colored polo shirts or t-shirts with the name of your home school. These could be handed down from child to child over time. By including our special-needs children in the family group, we can give them a visible, ongoing reminder of belonging.

As photos of everyone in school uniform, they could even make nice Christmas cards.

Thanks--
      Cheryl

Comment

great idea! I'd thought about it before but hadn't put serious effort into it. I think this would be a great way to denote "school time". Thanks for the link, too!

Comment

homeschool name

Our family has named our school the Immaculate Heart of Mary Homeschool. I have a particular devotion to the heart of Mary and St. Catherine Laboure (longish story about the miraculous healing of baby number seven, Katherine, who continues to have a hole in her heart and will require surgery). But I have never had a logo put on any of their clothes. All but the youngest two have been in either American Heritage Girls, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, or Venturing. We are right in the middle of switching over to the Catholic Scouts of St. George. That sense of belonging to a group has been such a blessing, especially for my special needs son. The other boys all look out for him, and he brings out the best in the leaders.
          Jude

dd 16, ds 13, ds 10, ds 8, dd 6, ds 4, dd 14 mos.

Comment

Love the uniform idea. I have sort of done that for Field Trip days. Everyone wears polos. The olders won't do 'matchy-matchy' anymore but the younger two love it. F even has a Lands' End polo dress she wears.

S named our school years ago The Elementary Academy because learning {according to him at the time} was "Elementary, my dear Watson". I have thought about changing it as the kids have aged but the name sticks. As for logos, all my kids have developed their own personal logos to go along with their signatures. The boys' are all swords and shields while F's is a butterfly or crown.
            The Homeschool Grads:
            J- 6/96
            S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
            G- 4/04
            D- 5/05
            F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
            M- 9/16

Comment

Our homeschool is called the Black Pearl Academy. We started homeschooling the year before the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie came out and I was immediately smitten. Our school motto is "Not All Treasure is Silver and Gold" (which, if you are a movie fanatic like myself, you will recognize as a quote from the first movie).

We also celebrate National Talk Like a Pirate Day each year!

We don't do uniforms, but I have friends who do the matching polo shirts, etc.
              Jennifer
              Homeschooling since 2002

Comment

I really like the uniform idea also. We called our school the Judd Eclectic Education Program (JEEP), because their dad drove a Jeep and the boys all thought that was funny. We may have to change it now, though. He traded obsession with Jeeps for obsession with Volkswagen Beetles, so the joke makes less sense now.
                Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
                Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
                Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

So I tried the uniform idea with my dd........it didn't go over well. It was the dreaded ...change.... She literally stood there crying in the store saying she just wants her regular clothes. I even tried having her pick out whatever clothes she wanted. no dice. O well.

I'm working on carving out some dedicated space in a room for school stuff to help differentiate work time from play time. I love the uniforms tho! so cute! maybe after having the thought float around for a little while it won't be so scary and we'll be able to revisit the idea.

Comment

I presented the idea to my older kids. The oldest likes my idea of polo shirts. The middle child, however, says he doesn't like the idea of polo shirts. He wants his uniform to be button up shirt, sweater vest, and tie. He'd probably stick with it to. He loves to dress up.
                    Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
                    Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
                    Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

We have dark green shortsleeve polos with either navy or khaki shorts for the boys (except for those few months where it is cold enough for pants). My younger daughter wears the peter pan collar white blouses with a solid navy jumper or navy skort. She also has a couple of the dark green polo dresses. My oldest daughter likes the 3/4 sleeve white blouses with a pleated dark green (evergreen) and navy plaid skirt. I let the kids pick out the colors of the uniforms years ago, and they have always been happy with them.
                      Blessings,
                      Jude

dd 16, ds 13, ds 10, ds 8, dd 6, ds 4, dd 14 mos.

Comment

Working...
                      X