Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Practical Help: Three Favorites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practical Help: Three Favorites

Everyone,

What are your three favorite practical books, websites, or resources for special needs?

Whether for autism, executive function, language, dyslexia, dysgraphia, adhd, or other diagnoses, we will want to include these in the curriculum package reference section. Serious work begins on these curriculum packages August 1.

In addition to assisting those who order curriculum packages, a list of good, practical resources will benefit anyone who reads this forum.

Please share as time permits.

Thanks--
    Cheryl

Curriculum packages

How long does curriculum development like this take? I am willing to wait on ordering curriculum if these will be done in a few months or so? Susan

Comment

It will take longer than a few months. Also, we're starting with the 2's and 3's (pre-JrK), so we will not reach your girls' level for some time!

Cheryl

Comment

Absolute necessity

For kids on the autism spectrum: "Do-Watch-Listen-Say" by Quill. Recommended to me by a few different therapists. Strategies for facilitating communication and interaction.
        Link to a website where you can print off free PECs.
        Favorite supplier of therapy tools (weighted blankets, lap weights, chew tubes, etc...) was Southpaw Enterprises. "Manufacturer of Sensory Integration and Neuro-Developmental Products." Fantastic customer service.
        ****TouchMath**** This one is VERY important. It was the only way that my barely verbal, severely delayed son was able to learn addition and subtraction. I thought it was amazing, because I remember using the same strategy when I was a child so I wouldn't lose track of what I was adding.
        If/Then laminated cards that show your child what they are working for. Below the big IF is a picture or title of what must be done. Below the THEN is a picture or word of the reward.
        Blessings,
        Jude

dd 16, ds 13, ds 10, ds 8, dd 6, ds 4, dd 14 mos.

Comment

jumping in

Originally posted by Quiet heart View Post
          How long does curriculum development like this take? I am willing to wait on ordering curriculum if these will be done in a few months or so? Susan
          I have been trying to piece together curriculum for my son for the last year. And since I had a baby a month after withdrawing him from the public middle school, it has been hit or miss, flying by the seat of my pants and making little progress. I think a very large part of it was almost hating to place him at the level he needed, because it is always depressing to see his siblings pass him up in ability. (Honestly, the 14 month old can already visibly sense that there is something different about him. He just doesn't respond to her in the same way as the other five.) So, although he can word call at a much higher level, I have decided to try and do as much of the second grade curriculum as possible with him, but use the third grade Rod & Staff math. His speech and communication skills are so severely delayed that even the comprehension questions at this level will be a struggle. It is really difficult to put this 2nd Grade stamp on him. Maybe it would be easier if the special needs curriculum did not have these numbers on them. Who feels good about putting their 13 year old in 2nd grade? It's a hard wall to hit, to know that he will never reach that finish line. When he was in school, he moved up each year to the next grade, although in a separate Centralized Structured Classroom. So I could think of him as being a fourth grader, a fifth grader, and so on. Now I have to deal with the reality, and it hurts my heart.
          Okay, but on a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, positive note: He is going to make his First Holy Communion in just two weeks! And so, if I have done nothing else, I have helped him to reach this point. I cling to that.
          Blessings,
          Jude

dd 16, ds 13, ds 10, ds 8, dd 6, ds 4, dd 14 mos.

Comment

Jude,

Yes, I understand. Although by now my children do not mind the 5 on their 5th-grade math review, it bothers me too. Even when it is exactly where they need to be for the "sweet spot" of instruction -- not too easy, not too hard -- the labeled grade is sometimes difficult to see. For some reason, other times we just open the book and tackle whatever new lesson is before us, and I do not give it much thought at all.

To lessen the effect of books labeled with grade-levels, and to address this sensitively with the new packages, we intend to design them to be "sequential but ungraded." In other words, we hope to offer a simple A, B, C, D, E, progression through skills. Of course moms and schools will need to match the student with the skill level, but the books themselves will have only a simple letter progression. The K-12 Spelling Power uses an A, B, C system. When the child moves to the next level, no matter what it is, this feels much more like the accomplishment it really is!

Thanks for the earlier suggestions.

And yes, the milestones and moments in their spiritual lives can help all of the other concerns melt away, if only temporarily, like nothing else.

Cheryl

Comment

1. I second TouchMath. Best. Thing. Ever! I would LOVE for MP to work it in to the new SN programs as it works so well. My oldest learned it at his provate school then we did it at home. Touchmath and those TouchPoints made all the difference for him to understand the basic 4 processes. All my kids know the points and will use them sometimes. Just love it. I see they even have a Homeschool option now.

http://www.touchmath.com/

2. When the Brain Can't Hear is a good book for CAPD. Also, The Out of Sync Child for sensory processing disorders of all types. Amazon and many libraries carry these.

3. The Well-Trained Mind Learning Challenges board is a good place to go for help as is, of course, our own wonderful MP board.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/fo...llenges-board/
              Last edited by Enigma; 07-09-2013, 11:36 PM.
              The Homeschool Grads:
              J- 6/96
              S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
              G- 4/04
              D- 5/05
              F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
              M- 9/16

Comment

Working...
              X