Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

kindergarten readiness (long)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Katie,

Yes, many prayers for you!

When health problems arise, the balance between our own urgent physical needs and our special-needs kids' intense, ongoing demands becomes very difficult to manage. I hope you will have some help.

As both you and Ellie mentioned, homeschooling offers good flexibility for such times. Several years ago, I needed hip joint surgery and found that my children rose to the occasion in ways I never would have thought to intentionally push them. We learned that even Michelle could fold many items of laundry admirably, and Michael could prepare simple non-cook meals. If your girls understand, a title might help. Michelle became Domestic Assistant, complete with clipboard, and Michael thoroughly enjoyed being Chief Cook, but even "Mommy's Helper" would be a wonderful title and a way for them to serve, while you rest a little each day.

Your academic plan sounds strong, regardless of the math program you select. Praying you will find answers and stabilization for the seizures very soon.

Thanks for the update. Take good care of yourself.

Cheryl

Comment

Originally posted by CelticaDea View Post
      I'm doing lots of contemplating trying to figure out how to manage all of this but right now we're taking a bit of time off. I'm planning/hoping to get back into our previous routine within the next week.

CelticaDea,

How are things going for you now? Please update, if you have time.

Cheryl

Comment

Hi Cheryl,
        I have been feeling much better. The effects of the concussion seem to be waning and the side effects from the medicine have mostly tapered off. At this point I just get really tired. We have no explanation for the cause and probably won't have one. My parents have come up since my husband is out of town for a couple months for Army stuff. In a couple weeks, they'll be taking us to their house for a month waiting for him to be back. We still haven't gotten back into a "school" routine but we have started to work on speech again, informally.

I haven't decided if we'll start school while we're gone or wait til we get back (mid-late september). In the meantime I've been getting things organized so if I do take it with us, I'll know what to bring! We may start with just reading and handwriting and then add the rest when we get home. My dd seems to be convinced that school starts on her birthday (aug 13).....which happens to be the day before we take a 3 day drive to FL! I got a bunch of logic type games for the drive and will have lots of new crayons and markers and kid's books on tape so I guess that can count

Comment

Working...
        X