Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Preschool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preschool

I am hoping it is okay to post this here, since I want to talk about a different company.

I was looking for some stuff to keep my toddlers busy during an upcoming move and I found the timberdoodle site. They have baby and preschool complete curricula that are very hands on. I saw a bunch of items that would be great for fine motor, spatial skills and even vocabulary building. For example, they had a threading farm that could be used to practice lacing, practice animal names (they find the animal, even without saying the word!), sequencing or even two step directions.

Also, there was a section of their website where the family that runs it talked about working with a child who was non-verbal as a result of autism. As a result, they seem to keep a number of items that would be good for building skills to get ready for school.

Lena

Lena,

Good suggestion! This does not conflict with Memoria Press, if items are purchased as supplements. See www.timberdoodle.com for examples. Notice the strong emphasis on motor development, as Timberdoodle's packages do not claim to provide a classical curriculum. Even so, for the special-needs child, practice with motor skills may be very helpful.

I incorporated some Timberdoodle materials, such as the Lauri alphabet puzzles and workbooks, when my children were very young. In fact, we will need to include some similar items in the Memoria Press Special-Needs curriculum packages, because special-needs children often learn best when they play with the materials (or sing the lessons), and because often our children's fine-motor skills need extra practice.

When I visited the site, I was amazed at how they have expanded over the years. A person can now purchase a "Baby" curriculum for $499! Individual items can also be purchased as needed, such as for extra fine-motor or gross-motor engagement. However, even with these helpful resources, we'll always want to focus on language and literacy (classical) with our babies and young children more than on playing with blocks (see Froebel, Pestalozzi) for our children's optimal education. When used as you describe, especially to boost vocabulary and improve language, these materials can be beneficial.

For ideas and resources similar to those available from Timberdoodle, such as beads for stringing and cards for lacing, see the Little Ones thread on our Struggling Student forum.

Thanks again-

Cheryl

Comment

Working...
    X