Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Just saying thanks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saying thanks

It is late and I should be sleeping. The combination of a third trimester, my reversed schedule lately as I spent Christmas break reworking our entire language arts program, and the words pinned up inside waiting to be said to my daughter's therapist about our conflicting philosophies of education are all to blame. But through this the Lord has found a way to minister to my soul in multiple ways, one of which has been finding this forum and reading your posts tonight.

I am encouraged, yet again, that we are on the right path....on that path of truth, goodness, and beauty as we diligently and faithfully study His Word, His Story, His Creation. Classical education has been a delight to my soul this last year and a half or so and I am so grateful to finally have found the method of homeschooling that best aids us in knowing Christ and making Him known.

But lately I have questioned whether my oldest can sustain such a path, brought on by her own self-doubt and condemnation and the doubts of her learning disability therapist. In the midst of six children 11 and under (the second of which was diagnosed with leukemia in September) and a new baby on the way I have questioned how practical it is to work so hard on subjects which so many wouldn't think twice about attempting with young children, especially in our circumstances.

But as others' questions cause me to reconsider this path, I seem to stumble upon article after article reinforcing what my mother-heart already knew to be true. This IS the right path....for ALL of us. HE is leading me and I must trust and obey. If I let go of Martha and educate like Mary, embrace the methods and not always the curriculum or the timetable, we will still arrive at the destination He has already foreordained. And if I have led them through this difficult but rewarding path with love and patience they WILL eventually rise and call me blessed, even if today they want to give up and declare defeat.

Thank you for giving those of us pursuing a rigorous path with children who are hindered, and yet no less worthy, a place to gather strength and tools for the journey ahead........

We need a hug icon. Thanks for posting this.
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

Comment

Yes!!!!

That is it exactly. The daily questioning, considering, weighing,...
      In one of the last meetings with my son's public school teachers I struggled to explain to them that surely there must be room for the True, the Good, and the Beautiful in his curriculum. I think they just wanted me to okay the goals that somehow lined up with the state alternate standards, so it didn't go over well.
      I have to remind myself daily of two things:
      1) The will of God does not take us where the Grace of God can not sustain us.
      2) God did not send His son to be raised by great scholars, but by humble parents.

Comment

Originally posted by stm4him View Post
        Thank you for giving those of us pursuing a rigorous path with children who are hindered, and yet no less worthy, a place to gather strength and tools for the journey ahead....

Dear stm4him,

While reading through our SS Forum threads tonight I found this again, so beautifully stated.

Thank you.

Cheryl

Comment

Beautiful

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post

Dear stm4him,

While reading through our SS Forum threads tonight I found this again, so beautifully stated.

Thank you.

Cheryl
          I agree, thank you. Hope all is well with your family.

Blessings,
          Maggie
          -Amy

Nine babies, 6 graduated, 5 married, 14 grand babies 5 and under!
          2018-19 MP 1st, 4A, 9M and MPOA, College student. Starting 6th year using Memoria Press
          Director of Coop 412, a Classical Christian Coop using MP and based on Ephesians 4:12.

Comment

Working...
          X