Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

New Curriculum Package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to know, now!

We're a bit eager.
    Margaret of Georgia, in west TN – Enginerd’s wife and Mama

2019-2020/-2021 · Homeschooling since 2011.
    Trekking along at a student self-pace...
    DD Summer 2009 · 5th/6th + BS3&4
    DD Summer 2011 · SC4/SC5*6 + BS3&4
    DS Summer 2014 · K/SC2 + SL P + K
    DD Summer 2017 · Pre + SL T
    DS Autumn 2019 • Baby

Memoria Scholé Academy
    Blog: Creative Madness Mama
    @ CherryBlossomMJ

Comment

When?

I just finished your book today. I can't tell you how much hope I have gained from it. My third child was non-verbal until about four. She has been diagnosed as high functioning autism. We have seen so much progress in this last year, she is six now, especially with learning and behavior. I feel like we are at a point where we can actually teach her beyond basics. We heard you speak in Cincinnati, and all I want to know is when. When will this be available on the website? I want to stay on top of this. I will be among those ordering it, right away.

Comment

Originally posted by greenwoodsathome View Post
        I just finished your book today. I can't tell you how much hope I have gained from it. My third child was non-verbal until about four. She has been diagnosed as high functioning autism. We have seen so much progress in this last year, she is six now, especially with learning and behavior. I feel like we are at a point where we can actually teach her beyond basics. We heard you speak in Cincinnati, and all I want to know is when. When will this be available on the website? I want to stay on top of this. I will be among those ordering it, right away.

On this same question posted on another thread, Tanya (Curriculum Director for Memoria Press) answers this way:

Soon. Very soon! We are in the final editing stages of Level A, so you can look for that to be up within the next couple of weeks. Level B is in the hands of the copy editor, and then will go directly to Cheryl for her final approval. I'm anticipating that Level C will go to the copy editor next week. My goal is for all 3 sets to be up and for sale by the end of June. Tanya

In the meantime, as you wait, each of you can make a difference with your own enthusiasm, gratitude, and experience.

Simply share the much-needed message that our special-needs children can receive a beautiful education. As I said in Cincinnati, this message is quiet, but significant. You can help in several ways. As you do, remember Martin Cothran's words: If a child cannot accommodate the amount or depth of knowledge of most children, it is not less, but more important that what they learn be of the highest quality.

Choose any or all of these ways to make a difference for other parents and their special-needs children:

1. Contact Great Homeschool Convention organizers to voice appreciation for my sessions on bringing a classical Christian education to children with special needs. Organizers cannot know the importance of these unique sessions, unless we tell them. (They already know to invite the high-energy, entertaining speakers!)

2. Create an account to post a review, so others will know the benefits of Simply Classical, the book:

Goodreads

Amazon

3. Tell people about Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child. Share on FB, Pinterest, in homeschool co-ops, on blogs, with your child's doctors or therapists, or in groups for special-needs children. Share the book with your child's grandparents. My own parents and extended family read the book and said, "Now we understand so much more...."

This book is especially valuable in classical Christian circles. Tell others. My hope is that more classical schools will open their doors to our special-needs children through integration or school-within-a-school programs. The book also makes a good intro to classical Christian education. As Martin notes:

Cheryl Swope ostensibly writes about special education, but she also makes one of the clearest and most compelling cases for classical education in print. I commend this book to parents and teachers of special-needs children, but also to anyone who desires a greater understanding of classical Christian education....

And for your own reading and encouragement --

While you wait for the new special-needs curriculum packages, if you do not already subscribe to the Classical Teacher, you can do this for free.

In each upcoming issue, all ordering information for the Simply Classical Core Curriculum packages, along with descriptions, will appear in detail. Through the above link, you can read the poignant cover essay (available free online), "Crying to Dream Again: What Education is Really All About." This essay alone is worth the effort of subscribing!

We'll also post here any new details about availability. Level A may be ready in just a few weeks. The others will follow, so you can select the suitable level for fall, if not sooner. After the readiness levels, we'll start on the early grammar-school levels. Rest assured we're all working hard to bring these packages to you and your children as soon as possible!

Thanks-
        Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child
        Cheryl Swope, M.Ed., with Foreword by Dr. Gene Edward Veith

Comment

New Curriculum Package

Hi Cheryl, Just saw your package a on the website. It is so beautiful!! You did an amazing job. That would have been so nice to have when Grace and Julie were small. What a blessing you and MP will be to so many. I plan on using the checklist for fine motor skills with Grace. I am so touched that MP took time and resources to support the struggling special need family. I have been a part of a classical co-op for some time. Their coursework is so rigorous there is no place for Julie and Grace. I had given up on a classical education for my girls until I read your book. Funny too, It works amazingly well for my children of normal intelligence. Blessings to you and the MP family, and thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet heart View Post
            Hi Cheryl, Just saw your package a on the website. It is so beautiful!! You did an amazing job. That would have been so nice to have when Grace and Julie were small. What a blessing you and MP will be to so many. I plan on using the checklist for fine motor skills with Grace. I am so touched that MP took time and resources to support the struggling special need family. I have been a part of a classical co-op for some time. Their coursework is so rigorous there is no place for Julie and Grace. I had given up on a classical education for my girls until I read your book. Funny too, It works amazingly well for my children of normal intelligence. Blessings to you and the MP family, and thank you!!

Thank you, Susan. Yes, as of this afternoon, Level A is now available!

See the new banner @ MemoriaPress.com.

Click "Learn More" to find FAQ's, the chart of Readiness Skills for Level A, and guidelines for determining the suitable readiness level.

Look for B and C in upcoming weeks.

Many thanks to all who contributed curriculum requests on this thread and elsewhere.

Cheryl

Comment

WOW!!!!! Looks awesome! I can't to see the other levels! Thank you for taking the time to put these together!

The main packages page says age 2-21. Is there a time frame plan/guestimate for later levels? ex 1/year?

(I'm sorry I know so much work went in to get this level out for us to see and here I am asking for more. Sorry! )

Comment

Originally posted by CelticaDea View Post
                WOW!!!!! Looks awesome! I can't to see the other levels! Thank you for taking the time to put these together!

The main packages page says age 2-21. Is there a time frame plan/guestimate for later levels? ex 1/year?

Thanks, Katie. We hope to have Levels 1, 2, and maybe 3 available this time next year.

I would especially like to catch up to the skills of your girls, Susan's daughters, Jude's son Finn, and others who cannot readily adapt to the quick pace of instruction in existing Memoria Press packages. This spurs me on.

In the meantime, please tell friends of children with younger or lower-functioning special-needs children. You can post this easy link on other special-needs or struggling-student forums:

http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/special-needs

We hope this will truly revolutionize (and humanize) the way we educate our special-needs children.

Everyone's input has been invaluable, so if you have requests for Levels 1, 2 and 3 (roughly equivalent to skills in MPK, MP1, MP2), please post them here.

Or perhaps start a new SC Level 1-3 thread, for ease of use. This one is quite full!

Thanks-
                Cheryl

Comment

Oh! I just ordered the package. This looks wonderful! I love how each week is based off of the same book. We're going to start as soon as it gets here. This will be wonderful for our SN child and fun for our neurotypical children, both younger and older. Thank you so much for all of your hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle Barrett View Post
                    Oh! I just ordered the package. This looks wonderful! I love how each week is based off of the same book. We're going to start as soon as it gets here. This will be wonderful for our SN child and fun for our neurotypical children, both younger and older. Thank you so much for all of your hard work!

Just a quick note, so you are not surprised. Each level will be most effective with some supplies. You'll receive a supply list in your lesson plans.

The Level A Supply List is now available online, if you want a head start.

Thanks -
                    Cheryl

Comment

Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
                      Just a quick note, so you are not surprised. Each level will be most effective with some supplies. You'll receive a supply list in your lesson plans.

The Level A Supply List is now available online, if you want a head start.

Thanks -
                      Cheryl

We had almost all of the supplies on hand already, but I did spring for the sandpaper letters and numerals and the triangular crayons and colored pencils. I'd had my eye on the sandpaper letters for a while.

Comment

Special Education Curriculum A La Carte?

The new packages look great, however I'm not sure they will be a fit for my children. I am wondering if any one has considered there being a way to pick components of some of the material...For example, my daughter and son who are the ones with FAS are alike in some needs and different in some. They have already started early reading and are at 1st grade level in math. They do not have fine motor skill problems. They struggle most with listening/language processing and weak memory so I still feel like at this time I may have to continue to design my own curriculum for them (and for my neurotypical son who has some emotional struggles sometimes). I am thankful for your book because it is helping me to do this and I am so thankful for the conference coming up in Louisville (special needs track) because I'm hoping (and praying) it will further equip me to meet their individual needs. My understanding is it won't be solely about the new curriculum and I hope that is still true because my kids' needs are not going to fit neatly with what is offered at this time. I am going to use Aesop this year and wish there was a single guide/book that would help me to use it (particularly with my 10 1/2 year old who is developmentally 3 or 4 in some areas but higher in other areas) in a way to support her memory problems and language processing/auditory processing problems.

Thank you,

Heather Brandt

Comment

Thanks, Heather.

Curriculum Packages
                          -
                          Yes, many of our special-needs children will not learn all skills at one identifiable level, so we hope to offer individualized lesson plans. I appreciate your suggestion of stand-alone guides for some areas, such as Aesop. Great idea.

Louisville MP Conference -
                          Rest assured that the conference workshops will focus, as always, on solutions for your own children's needs. Classroom teachers and homeschoolers will bring questions about children far beyond the readiness levels of the new curriculum!

Simply Classical (the book) -
                          Yes, this will be the reference guide, as your children grow. My own children are similar to yours with vast differences among ability levels in each area.

I'm looking forward to meeting you in Louisville!

Cheryl

Comment

Level B

Level B just became available!

To preview, find here the Simply Classical Curriculum overview with a new description of Level B.

Please share this information with friends & special-needs groups.

Thanks-
                            Cheryl

Comment

Wow, you guys are getting these up fast! This looks so wonderful. It so happens that I already have Do It Carefully and Everywhere We Go, so I think I may buy the 8 week review plans to work on over the summer.
                              Miah - married to Warcabbage, 3 boys, BS in social work, AS in Electrical Engineering Technology

Evulcarrot - 18, freshman in college, Medical Technology , mild autism
                              Battlebroccoli - 17, lives with grandma, attends a special high school program part time
                              Doomsprout - 10, highly verbal moderate autism, anxiety, motor delays, sensory processing issues - SC 4 with R&S 4

Comment

Miah,

The 8-week review of Level B includes all the books that are in the Level B package. You can't do the Review without the books in the read-aloud set and in the core set for Level B. These two additional books are in addition to the books used throughout the year in Level B.

Sorry for the confusion. We are working on clarifying this on our website.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                                X