Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Here is where we are

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is where we are

I suppose this is more of a general question/musing but I feel more comfortable here than on the K-8 Board as it pertains to J.

J has been doing very well with his new plans. After a few months of just Hake 6, Saxon 7/6 and a reading list pulled from MP, I feel he is ready to tackle something more.

He has expressed an interest in learning American History so I plan on adding that in modified, of course. I was leaning towards just having him do the 200 Questions instead of the full Guerber's guide. Do I need the "Everything You need to Know" book as well? He still has not read Famous Men of Middle Ages or Modern Times. Should I have him read these first or concurrently?

I do want him to try a lit guide, as well. I was thinking since he has read through all the literature books for MP 1st-7th that maybe going back and doing a lit guide for one or two of them below his 6th grade level might be a good idea. Because he would already be familiar with the story, he could then focus on the other aspects. He could then build up to grade level slowly.

He is going to start WWE (very reluctantly) tomorrow as Hake writing isn't helping him get over his writing block. He will sit for an hour or more staring at his page trying to think of what to say for the Hake daily journal prompts. The regular writing lessons where he is required to actually come up with his own words are worse. He does well with the long dictation passages because I changed them to be copywork instead. I know he will be relieved to have this gone.

I would also like him to try a little science so I thought he could pick one from MP's list or maybe an Elem. Apologia book.

I'm not going to throw everything at him at once. I plan on adding things slowly every few weeks or longer as I see how he does.

What do ya'll think of my plan?

I think I am doing ok accepting where he is at. It is still hard seeing your child not hit the same milestones at the same time as his peers, though. We will get there just a few years later than everyone else.
    Last edited by tanya; 01-02-2013, 12:40 PM.
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

Here is where we are

Good to hear from you, Enigma. I had been wondering how your son was doing with his new plans.

This is such good news! Thank you for sharing here. Not only is J. doing well with materials selected to correspond to his actual learning levels, but already you sense that he can handle a few more content areas. Furthermore, you are planning to add more areas of study one or two at a time, so he remains successful. You have engineered this well.

As usual, you pack a considerable amount of thought into a single post, so let's take one area at a time. In curriculum areas - if needed - you might wish to carry over to the K-8 forum any remaining questions you have, as Tanya will be more knowledgeable about specific recommendations. I can offer some ideas here from what we have attempted.

History -

My children both read Famous Men of Middle Ages & Modern Times on their own, but not as a requisite for studying American History. We studied Famous Men of Greece & Rome as American History prep. However, if J. enjoys history, especially biographies, he would likely enjoy reading through both Middle Ages & Modern Times, as did my children, even if he does not “study” them yet.

You ask whether you “need” the Everything... book. Many of the answers in 200 Questions can be found easily in the Everything book and are even referenced directly to this book, so this will be very helpful to him. The Everything book has a “fun” feel to it.

Even so, I would suggest working through 200 Questions alongside him at first, as you might do a math lesson. The format's organizational and writing expectations could be overwhelmingly above his current level, from what you have described, even though the content might not be. This is true for my children.

Until he is comfortable working through these on his own, one initial possibility might be to work three (or five, or however many you choose) questions with him, then have him work three more independently. Correct his answers immediately for accuracy, spelling, etc., and call it finished & successful for the day, with perhaps an independent American history reading assignment in the next sections of the Everything book to follow. Just an idea. Many possibilities there as you adapt for him, but I do think the book and some initial support will be helpful for you both.

Literature -
    Your idea seems to be an excellent one, Enigma.

We're doing something similar this year with Shakespeare's “As You Like It.” Late last summer we attended a live Shakespeare play. Last semester in the evenings, once or twice a week, we read through the entire play. We each took multiple roles (Michelle's favorite was the romantic Rosalind; Michael's the comedic Touchstone & he also enjoyed attempting an English accent for the Duke). This semester we will work more thoughtfully together through the Memoria Press study guide of "As You Like It," now that we're much more familiar with the play.

Depth, not overzealous breadth, assists classical education – especially for our children. So, yes, select one of his favorite literature selections, and dive in! Great idea.

Writing -
    You have certainly struggled to find a good program in this area, as have I. My children and I enjoy Writing With Ease very much. Over time, it has noticeably improved oral communication and handwriting too. I will be interested to see what you think.

I began both of my students with WWE Level 1 & would highly recommend doing so. At Level 1, we accomplished all 4 of the week's lessons (Day One-Day Four) in a single 45-60 minute session. My daughter loves to write, so occasionally we even worked through two "weeks" in a single day. Beginning with Level 1 made the difference for both of them.

Overall -
    I love this from you, Enigma:
    We will get there just a few years later than everyone else.

Yes! As with the tortoise and the hare, your son is learning a slow-and-steady perseverance through his classical studies that will serve him well his entire life.

Thanks again for the update. Continued success to you and to J. in the coming semester. Keep us posted-

Cheryl

Comment

Working...
    X