Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Migraine & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migraine & More

When our children suffer from medical conditions that impact their learning, how do we accommodate? How can we adjust our lesson plans? When the situation is chronic, how do we anticipate variable academic performance?

My own daughter currently awakens with incapacitating migraine up to three days a week, despite best efforts from neurologists and others to combat the problem. Similarly, her twin brother sometimes awakens with severe fatigue and a rash that sends him back to bed. Perhaps a better question becomes, "How do we make the most of their good days?"

How do those of you with similar situations compensate educationally for such challenges?

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, I've been pondering this post for a couple days — wanted to sort my thoughts before hitting reply! :-) Sorry, though, this gets long, oh dear.

So, you asked, "When our children suffer from medical conditions that impact their learning, how do we accommodate? How can we adjust our lesson plans? When the situation is chronic, how do we anticipate variable academic performance?"

This is such an important topic, I'm glad you brought it up!

Here's a little bit about my family: I homeschooled my eldest all the way through (he's 23 now), so I've been at this for a while. Currently, I've got a 13yo daughter who has a condition that requires regular medical-related appointments and treatments: this will be true for her whole life. She also suffers from regular migraines. And then there's her 10yo brother: he has chronic asthma and a weak immune system, it isn't an exaggeration to say that he gets sick **all the time**. I've always homeschooled them, and currently they're both learning at the 8th/9th grade level. Then there's me. Just a bit over two years ago, we found out that I had a brain tumor: it was in the cerebellum, which is the balance and muscle coordination center of the brain; it was removed six weeks after discovery. In a nutshell, I woke up from surgery disabled. The tumor had crushed a portion of my cerebellum: I now have chronic vertigo, and so much trouble with my balance and coordination, with sorting sensory input, with determining depth and location, and with chronic exhaustion, that I cannot: walk unaided, cook, clean, run errands, drive, be in busy or loud environments, cope with sudden movements or loud noises, work in the garden &c. Between the three of us, there are medical appointments every week.

What I **can** do: read, and write (though typing is hard, I am slow and make multiple typos!), and talk, and teach (at home! Tucked into my cozy chair, which supports my body!), and sing, and love, and learn, and laugh, and pray! Praise God, I am truly blessed, and so grateful for every moment!

Okay, back to the original question. For me, for my family, homeschooling is a gift. Homeschooling allows my children and I to spend whatever length of days we will have, **together**. Homeschooling allows me to provide my children with a wonderful education and a wonderful childhood in which they are free to learn according to their own pace, while comfortably accommodating for all of our various health-related issues. With homeschooling there is **always enough time**.

We homeschool year-round, and I have always planned, and still plan, to homeschool all the way through. This means that there is **no need** to stress over 'falling behind'. For us, there is no behind: we study, learn, and explore each subject for as long as we need to. As I occasionally remind my children: neither life nor homeschooling is a race. We are neither awarded nor docked points according to how much time we spent exploring or mastering an academic subject.

Every day is, for me, a physical struggle. Most days are, for either or both of my children, a physical struggle. Since homeschooling is, for us, more of a family lifestyle and childrearing philosophy — as opposed to merely being a method of education — we are able, over the course of any given day or week or season, to fill our time with meaningful pursuits and joys, **trusting** that in the fullness of time my children will have accomplished and learned all they need to in order to live their adult lives as loving and compassionate individuals, pursuing whatever goals and dreams they may have.

(My blog is linked through my username here; feel free to stop by to read a little about our days and learning).
    homeschooling mother to a 16yo boy & 18yo girl, both learning at the high school level, and an adult son whom I homeschooled all the way through. You are welcome to read more about our homeschooling life at my blog: link via my username. Please forgive any typos in my comments here! I'm disabled and can't always type clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieCove View Post
      What I **can** do: read, and write... talk, and teach... sing, and love, and learn, and laugh, and pray!

Hi, Ellie.

We learned early to homeschool year-round too.

I appreciate this window into your lives -- struggles and all. You may want to read "A Prayer" on this sub-forum, if you have not already discovered it.

Your approach, quoted above, is such a wonderful example for your children.

Beautiful post.

Thank you--
      Cheryl

Comment

Working...
      X