Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Latin roots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin roots?

Hello,

I fear this might be unpopular--but has anyone just focused on directly teaching latin roots enhance new vocabulary comprehension for a child with mild/moderate dyslexia? I confess that I started to teach the 5/6 two year pace for him last year with Latina Christiana, but we were unable to be consisten so we stopped before long to just focus on his All ABout Spelling Level 4 since our days were very busy already. I noticed that there was a Latin Roots Latina Christiana supplement still available, as well as other options available via Rainbow Resource with different levels beginner through (I think) Level 4. I'm wondering if we just need to truly see the benefits and try again, or in the meantime do some roots lessons when we are able. This child in particular, at age 11 now, is still "at my elbow" for many of his studies and time is still a factor. Also, his younger sister, age 9, is about the start Latina Christiana, and although they did Prima Latina a couple years ago together, it got to be fairly akward since she was picking it up very quickly while he had to focus alot more. If we did do Latina Christiana again, I'd have to distract him from the competition or risk him feeling "behind".

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or has anyone tried that alternative route just to "see the light" and come back?

Thank you so much!
    Susan
    DD-13 Mostly Memoria materials with Kolbe Academy recs alongside
    DD-11 Mostly Memoria materials
    DS-10 IEW, Memoria Literature, AAS mash-up with Memoria Classical Studies
    DD-8 Memoria Language Arts, Prima Latina, Classical Studies
    DD-4 Sweet Ball of Sunshine, budding PK
    DS-newly minted 1 year old, wants to live on our deck in the sunshine!

No need to fear! If your son is just finishing AAS 4 but is ready for some Latin, you might take a look at the Roots of English. The book is not easy, so others may have a different suggestion.

You can find a sample lesson via the link. Plan to work through only 1/3 - 1/2 lesson per day.

Bonus: This will appear different than his sister's Prima or LC, so you will minimize comparisons while building your son's word awareness and semantic word studies which may assist his reading in English as well.
    Roots of English Sample We are often asked if we have a program that includes the study of both Latin and Greek roots. We do now! Roots of English is an int

Comment

My advice is to finish AAS first. The upper levels do contain some Latin and Greek roots. Focus on AAS and then see where you are.

An option for after AAS would be MegaWords. This program breaks larger words down into their parts for reading and understanding.

https://eps.schoolspecialty.com/prod...ut-the-program

If you absolutely MUST have something now, I would suggest Vocabulary From Classical Roots starting at Book 4. It is easier than MP's Roots of English yet still gives that intro you seem to be wanting.

https://eps.schoolspecialty.com/prod...ut-the-program

We are a no Latin family for many reasons. I do not feel this has put my kids at a disadvantage in any way. We do what we gotta do especially when we have non-neurotypical kids.

HTH!
      The Older Boys:
      J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
      S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
      G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
      D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
      F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
      M- 9/16

Comment

Working...
      X