Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Help me choose a spelling and writing curriculum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

howiecram

Thanks for all your suggestions. I actually purchased most of my curriculum back in February, but after that I learned that my daughter's difficulties in school were actually due to ADHD & dysgraphia, so I decided to do more Simply Classical rather than MP3 core. Now I am thinking of starting school half time in a couple weeks, so I have to make sure I have everything ready.

I will need the SC 5/6 curriculum manual at the 2 year pace, SC Writing 2, R&S English 2, but pretty sure I have everything else I need to do what you suggest. Oh, maybe the SC3 enrichment book.

Do I understand correctly that you recommend SC Spelling 2 over AAS? I suppose, I already have SC Spelling 2 and MP doesn't sell AAS anyway, so I can purchase AAS at a later date if I think SC Spelling 2 isn't enough and we need to add intensive phonics study.

It's not teaching 2 so much that is the problem, I did that last year. But it is teaching 2 plus this year I am adding in special needs, a preschooler, and a newborn baby who requires a lot of my time. The biggest challenge really is going to be finding the time. Our schedule last year (2 solid hours of my time in the morning, then finish up whatever was left with occasional help while I was doing housework) is simply not going to work this year, and I will have to be creative to find something that works. I think we will begin by trying 2-3 smaller chunks of school throughout the day, which is helpful for attention spans and wiggles, but very difficult to get in the school mindset multiple times per day.
    DD8 - MP3 and SC 5/6
    DD6 - MP1
    DS4 - R&S preschool
    DS baby

Comment

Ok, first post--ever!

My 8 year-old daughter has similar issues. She is gifted, but has ADHD, phonological dyslexia, central auditory processing disorder. She is bit off-cycle and started MP 2nd grade core in January 2022. We are doing rest of 2nd/SC 4 with some modifications when we start back school tomorrow.

To your question--
      1. Spelling--we tried traditional spelling and SC spelling. It just didn't "click" for her. Rainbow writing, writing multiple times, made ZERO difference with her ability to correctly retain the phonetic patterns for more than a short-term period of time. She was overwhelmed with being presented multiple choices to make the sound (a_e, ai, ay) despite patterns, games, repetition, etc. We switched to All About Spelling. It has made a HUGE difference. She is finishing level 2 and can spell every word that we have covered in level 1 and 2 thus far. She easily accepts when I tell her she cannot spell it because we haven't covered that lesson now (using this program). My daughter doesn't love the tiles, but tolerates it and is actually learning to spell.

2. Writing--My daughter also gets very frustrated with writing. HATES writing the numerous responses required in the student workbooks. We have modified this to more of "narration" (borrowed from Charlotte Mason)--make a picture, oral narration, re-enact something, build something from the story. OR oral responses to the questions presented. She does VERY well with this. The writing will come. Part of the asynchrony.

All of that said, I would definitely recommend All About Spelling. It is likely just as intensive as spelling as always been. VERY open-and-go. Will take you about a week to figure it out, maybe less.

DD8, MP2/SC 4; 2E--gifted + dyslexia, CAPD, ADHD
      DS 5, MP + 2nd grade math --2E profoundly gifted, CAPD, fine motor delays

Comment

Originally posted by BlueShadow View Post
        howiecram

Thanks for all your suggestions. I actually purchased most of my curriculum back in February, but after that I learned that my daughter's difficulties in school were actually due to ADHD & dysgraphia, so I decided to do more Simply Classical rather than MP3 core. Now I am thinking of starting school half time in a couple weeks, so I have to make sure I have everything ready.

I will need the SC 5/6 curriculum manual at the 2 year pace, SC Writing 2, R&S English 2, but pretty sure I have everything else I need to do what you suggest. Oh, maybe the SC3 enrichment book.

Do I understand correctly that you recommend SC Spelling 2 over AAS? I suppose, I already have SC Spelling 2 and MP doesn't sell AAS anyway, so I can purchase AAS at a later date if I think SC Spelling 2 isn't enough and we need to add intensive phonics study.

It's not teaching 2 so much that is the problem, I did that last year. But it is teaching 2 plus this year I am adding in special needs, a preschooler, and a newborn baby who requires a lot of my time. The biggest challenge really is going to be finding the time. Our schedule last year (2 solid hours of my time in the morning, then finish up whatever was left with occasional help while I was doing housework) is simply not going to work this year, and I will have to be creative to find something that works. I think we will begin by trying 2-3 smaller chunks of school throughout the day, which is helpful for attention spans and wiggles, but very difficult to get in the school mindset multiple times per day.
        Yes, I think I would do the SC Spelling 2, see how that goes and then just try the TS2 since you already have that.
        Christine

(2022/2023)
        DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
        DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
        DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Working...
        X