Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided β€œas is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Help me choose a spelling and writing curriculum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me choose a spelling and writing curriculum

This is for my 8 year old. At the end of 2nd grade last year, I finally realized her learning difficulties weren't normal and are due to ADHD and dysgraphia. We are still working through getting formal diagnoses. She completed MP 2nd grade core last year. She is intelligent and an excellent and voracious reader, but has trouble with phonemic awareness and transposing letters & numbers (confuses b & d, will write 16 instead of 61, etc.) - so she has some dyslexic traits. She has difficulty with all levels of writing, both handwriting and composition (for creative writing prompts, with a LOT of assistance, she can write 2 sentences. Or she could talk to you about it for half an hour). Subjects she has particular difficulties with are spelling and writing, and some with math. We will be using mostly Simply Classical 5/6 for 3rd grade. In the readiness assessment, she easily scores 80% or more for reading, math, arithmetic, and language, but writing & spelling is 3 yes, 1 emerging, 4 no.

I thought I knew what I wanted to do, but now after watching all the Sodalitas videos, I am second guessing myself

Last year in 2nd grade we repeated TS1 because it was too hard for her in first grade (how I wish I knew about SC Spelling!). We got through it, most weeks she missed 0-1 on the final test, but her retention from week to week is very low. Also, she still has poor phonemic awareness, and can't break words into syllables or phonemes. The Sodalitas talks gave me so much better understanding of how to teach spelling, should I repeat TS1 (again?!) to try and get a more thorough understanding of phonics? Or continue on to TS2 and do the best I can with teaching? I am a little concerned that TS2 might be too hard - either on her or on me, as I try to juggle grades 3, 1, JrK, and a newborn. I know TS2 has 15 words a week, which is quite a jump in difficulty already. Does it cover the same phonics rules or move on to more difficult concepts?

Also, how important is writing the words in spelling? She writes rather slow, and seemed to learn very little from writing words repeatedly. The last month or so of TS1, after I understood what was going on better (and I think she is more of an auditory learner than visual), I focused a lot on the phonics, and adapted spelling to take out a lot of writing. I wrote each word on a flashcard and we used those for word sort, word study, and alphabetizing. Lots and LOTS of say-spell-say. Tried to write the words only once each day. We did some "writing" with letter tiles but she found that as exhausting as writing and it was slower. Overall, with adaptations, spelling went faster, was less frustrating for both of us, and she did as well. But we didn't write the words nearly as often as the curriculum suggests.

Alternatively, I have considered beginning All About Spelling. It is supposed to work well for dyslexics. I would like the opportunity to really emphasize phonics with her, but am reluctant to begin a new spelling curriculum now that I am finally figuring out Traditional Spelling.

I saw Rod & Staff English in the curriculum and I was excited. I think that kind of specific, clear instruction is exactly what we need in grammar. She didn't learn any grammar from English Grammar Practice in 2nd grade, she either knew the answer or she didn't. I was planning to use Intro to Comp for writing because it goes so well with the literature, but in looking at the book, I think it will be a challenge, especially to get the summary. I can't imagine her even attempting the dictation portion without a world-class meltdown because she can't spell the words and she would find it overwhelming. Does Rod & Staff English 3 have enough writing in it to cover our composition? I would be excited to cover all of our writing with that one set of books. Or if we need to add more, what about Simply Classical Writing 2? That starts below her level, but most of the topics in the second half look like they are exactly at her level or are working on struggle spots (I am looking at you, apostrophe!)
    DD8 - MP3 and SC 5/6
    DD6 - MP1
    DS4 - R&S preschool
    DS baby

Okay, so I promise I DID watch the "Your Family, Your Needs" talk before I posted this. I just RE watched it with this post in mind and it made one thing clear - for so many reasons, I should choose easier levels.

So.... Repeat TS1 again? Advantage: I am already familiar with it, and my student doesn't mind repeating it again. Disadvantage: Technically, my first grader should be doing TS1 this year also, unless I do something else with her. I had thought of doing SC Spelling Two just because its easier and still covers all the phonics rules. However, she never had trouble with dictation in FSR so I think she will be a natural speller and able to handle TS1. But both students in the same course at the same time sounds like a recipe for lots of conflict.

Or do TS2 at half pace? I think I could handle that.

As for writing, I looked at the Rod & Staff placement tests and I think RS English 2 is the best. She has just barely achieved mastery of level 2, so to achieve a solid understanding plus not have the writing assignments be as intimidating, (not to mention making life easier on both of us to have a less stressful subject), I think level 2 is a good choice.
    DD8 - MP3 and SC 5/6
    DD6 - MP1
    DS4 - R&S preschool
    DS baby

Comment

I know we've all been chatting about this in the SC Facebook group but just wanted to say "Yay! Now we know your forum name!" πŸ˜‚
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
      DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
      DS15: MP, MPOA
      DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
      DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
      DD10: SC3
      DD7: MPK

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
        I know we've all been chatting about this in the SC Facebook group but just wanted to say "Yay! Now we know your forum name!" πŸ˜‚
        Hah, yes, here I am looking for help in ALLLL the places. Juggling two kids in school, one with newly realized special needs, a 4 yo who should be at least learning letters and numbers, and a newborn makes me realize that I can minimize everyone's frustration by choosing levels wisely.

And how do you get the neat signature line at the end of your forum posts that describes your kids?
        DD8 - MP3 and SC 5/6
        DD6 - MP1
        DS4 - R&S preschool
        DS baby

Comment

Originally posted by BlueShadow View Post

And how do you get the neat signature line at the end of your forum posts that describes your kids?
          Courtesy of 3Blessings:

1. Click on your user name (top right corner) and User Settings
          2. Click on Account (to the right of the Profile tab)
          3 Scroll down to Conversation Detail Options and click on the red highlighted text (Edit Post Signature).
          4. A new window will open where you can customize your own signature and let everyone know your children's ages and levels or whatever else you wish to share with each post!
          Jennifer
          Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
          DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
          DS15: MP, MPOA
          DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
          DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
          DD10: SC3
          DD7: MPK

Comment

Originally posted by BlueShadow View Post

Hah, yes, here I am looking for help in ALLLL the places. Juggling two kids in school, one with newly realized special needs, a 4 yo who should be at least learning letters and numbers, and a newborn makes me realize that I can minimize everyone's frustration by choosing levels wisely.

Did you settle on something for your 8-year-old, BlueShadow? I'm wondering about working quickly through SC Spelling Two with the sound-by-sound dictation as a refresher before moving directly to Traditional Spelling II. You will use the SC Spelling dictation tools to assist you.

And for all of the reasons you mentioned, I like your idea of R&S 2 for grammar with TSII for spelling at a two-year pace. You can use the SC 5&6 Two-Year plans for TS II two-year pacing.

Comment

Based on the replies to my question on the FB board, for spelling, I am considering one of two options. The first option is what you mentioned, working through SC Spelling Two at whatever pace we can handle and then beginning TS2 at a two-year pace. The second option is switching to All About Spelling. It's setup is very different and teacher intensive, but I am not convinced it will take more of my time than SC Spelling and TS when I teach them fully and completely. AAS is very different than the traditional workbook style, which might work well for my student or might not, but certainly is more difficult for me to wrap my mind around. I think I will watch a YouTube video of an example lesson with her and see what she thinks.

I will use R&S2 for grammar. Should I use a separate writing curriculum? If so, based on the FB discussion, I am considering SC Writing 2. I am a little concerned about trying to do too much.

Right now, plans look like this. It's basically the MP 3M curriculum with SC pacing (and occasionally products) substituted in, because I bought the MP 3M curriculum and then learned about her special needs.
              Math - R&S 3 one-year pace
              Literature - SC 5/6 one-year pace
              Spelling - SC Spelling 2 & TS2 at two-year pace OR AAS
              Grammar - R&S 2
              Composition - SC Writing book 2
              Cursive - NAC 3
              Latin - LC - 2 year pace
              Classical & Christian studies - 2 year pace
              States & Capitals - 2 year pace
              Science - God's Design for Life (not MP product)
              MP3 history & read aloud books will be available for her to read on her own

I plan to use a lot of the Simply Classical modifications, especially discussing the literature guide and Christian Studies questions rather than writing answers. For classical studies, science, history, read aloud, I am not planning to do any flashcards, recitation, workbooks, review, or tests, just read and discuss. She retains quite a bit of what she reads and enjoys reading so she will like these subjects at this level and it gives me something easy to assign her to do while I work with siblings.

Latina Christiana is very intimidating to me. We did Prima Latina and it went fine once I added a lot of flashcard review. But the part of Prima I liked the best was the student book, it was so friendly and easy to use. Each lesson was written at the student's level and it was easy for me to teach from that and she could flip back in the book and review. The Latina Christiana book does not look nearly as friendly. Latin is a subject I am very flexible about - I want to do it, but I feel no pressure to work a fast pace.

And even with all that, it looks like A LOT to me.

This little excerpt from our day yesterday illustrates well how homeschool planning is going:
              I get out a subject, show it to my 8 yo, discuss a bit what we will learn, her eyes get big and she panics and melts. "It's so much! I can't do that! There are so many subjects!"
              I reassure her that yes, it is a lot, but she can do it. I am going to work with her to make sure everything is at a level that she can do.
              Eventually I calm her down and she leaves.
              Then I look at the stack of books, think about juggling life and 4 kids and school, and start to panic and melt. "It's so much! I can't do that!"
              She comes by it honestly.
              DD8 - MP3 and SC 5/6
              DD6 - MP1
              DS4 - R&S preschool
              DS baby

Comment

Choose only those subjects that you will cover daily and cover well. In our new SC pages, we've divided the Core and the Enrichment. Start with the Core. See if, at least on paper, your daily load can include those Core items. If yes, you might consider this for your 8-year-old:

Math - R&S 3 one-year pace
                Literature - SC 5/6 standard two-year pace (you can always accelerate if desired), as the two-year will be smaller "bites" each day.
                Spelling - SC Spelling 2 & TS2 at two-year pace (OR AAS; if the latter, start now on the learning curve for yourself, as you will want to be fully prepared to teach something new if you choose this)
                Grammar - R&S 2
                Composition - SC Writing book 2 -- Yes, but choose the Bible edition that is in our core. This can become her Christian Studies this year. You can include your other children in the Bible story readings. This becomes an instant consolidation of "subjects" into something more cohesive and manageable.
                Cursive - NAC 3 OR -- Consider the simpler Copybook & Memory Work that accompanies SC Writing 2, as this will coordinate with the Bible stories.
                Latin - LC - 2 year pace OR consider 4-year pace (SC 5&6 Two-Year plan for 1/2 Latina Christiana). This will be closer to the Prima pacing you appreciated.

While you work with or tend to the others, she can enjoy these independently or taught only 1-2 days/week:

MP3 history & read aloud books will be available for her to read on her own
                Science, SC 5&6 States & Capitals, SC Greek Myths (OR choose the much simpler SC 4 Intro to Classical Studies with the beautiful picture books)

For both of you, streamlining seems essential right now. And she is only 8! You need to feel comfortable with the amount you are taking on, so she can come by "calm, confident assurance" honestly too.

Comment

For Literature, I am not sure that we need the slower pace. This is always her favorite subject, and in both 1st and 2nd grade, we finished it early because she was always working ahead.

I love the suggestion of combining SC Writing 2, Christian Studies, and copybook. That's perfect. We will also work on cursive by having her write answers in cursive (when she is copying a sentence that I have already written). I don't feel that the separate cursive book is necessary, but she does need a lot of practice as she has poor handwriting and doesn't form all of the letters correctly, so we may use parts of it.

I am seriously considering the 4-year pace for Latina Christiana. I don't think she needs it for the subject content, but I think we both need it to keep the lessons smaller so school isn't overwhelming.

She has already read most of the books from SC 4 Intro to Classical Studies because our library had them. She loves reading fairy tales and folk tales, so I expect her to enjoy the myths as well.
                  DD8 - MP3 and SC 5/6
                  DD6 - MP1
                  DS4 - R&S preschool
                  DS baby

Comment

All of this sounds good. The suggestions for pacing came only based on the other demands, not on ability, so feel free to choose whatever is best for the overall plan!

Comment

When we have children who we know are "smart" but also struggle, it can be a daunting task trying to figure out how to best teach them. I started my MP journey in the "regular" MPK program with my then 6 year old. (She could have been in "1st" grade, but was still barely blending words). At the same time, I was looking around for preschool programs for my then 4 year old son. The year prior I had used these "Rod and Staff preschool" books or so I thought (they are actually their K program!) with my now 6 year old. Upon my research I found Simply Classical Level B had them all scheduled for me! I had decided to use it, even though it was labeled "special needs". Long story, I posted on here and Cheryl pointed out some things that were maybe red flags for my then 4 year old. I began to think more about my 6 year old and realized there were some red flags there as well. I bought the SC1 curriculum guide but ended up going with the MPK. (this is a regret). I kept thinking she's 6 and could be in 1st grade. Anyway, things went "well" for about the first 16 weeks (much was review), but then we hit the hard part of FSR book D and it was so strange, once the blends started being introduced, she couldn't even read words like "cat" anymore! I was very frustrated and after discussing with Cheryl I did her evaluated. The summary was she was "smart but scattered" and was given the ADHD diagnosis. The next year rolled around and even though she was struggling a bit, I thought "the test said she's smart, let's move to MP1". Fast forward and we ended up ordering SC2. At the time, I didn't really understand what I was doing and upon, once again, Cheryl's advice I continued with SC2, but dropped the phonics and used AAR/AAS instead. She's smart and there was enough repetition built into the program so she completed levels 1-3 in one year. We then were able to use SC3, completely as written (I should add, she did both the Read Aloud and Bible writing editions for both Book 1 and 2) and SC4 was our best year using only materials from SC4 (with MP3 math, instead of grade 2). I did continue using AAS 1-3 alongside the Spelling book 2. Handsdown, I would recommend the Spelling book 2, mostly because it gives lots of teaching strategies that I have also been able to use in multiple subjects. It also gives you some "common" words to practice. After completing AAS1-3 (we did AAS2 TWICE!) and Spelling book 2, we moved directly to TS1. She's been able to do spelling pretty independently since then and knows those phonics rules really well. (she makes mistakes in spelling because of the ADHD...so I will just have her look at the word again and say something is wrong, can you find it? She often does.

My middle child did AAS1 and 2, never did any SC spelling, and TS1 was kind of a bust. However, we did TS2 over two years and I noticed, with the introduction of Latina Christina, his spelling magically improved! He's been doing TS largely independently and does spell words correctly outside of his spelling time. (He needs help with the colorful words and syllables). He's going into the 5th grade and will be doing TS3 next year (going to try in 1 year). I do like to do day 1 with the kids (we use the word cards like you do) and day 3 and of course the spelling "test". One year I was trying to do 3 levels of AAS and that was 1 hour alone of my day. With TS, I can alternate kids, doing spelling every.other day. Again, I wanted to point out that after TS1, I debated going back, but I'm glad we just prodded ahead. (I also did have the experience of using Spelling Book 2 with my older child so I did implement some of those strategies)

I also wanted to speak to your goals. I really agree with Cheryl that getting the two year plans for the literature will be really helpful. Keep in mind that poetry is also scheduled with the literature (sprinkled throughout) and we couldn't do both literature and poetry on the same day (which is how it is scheduled in the one year plan). The two year plans we were able to combine days and we only finished 3 books, but I felt like we finished really well. We memorized poetry, did the drawings, copied the poem, etc. We just simply moved onto the SC 7&8 books and I did not worry about doing Poppers Penguins. This year we only finished the books in SC7, but my son was able to do them more independently. (which was a win!).

I also wanted to add that at the start of the year when my son did SC5&6, I bought the one year plans because my son is VERY smart....but he's also very slow. This is not to put him down. He literally moves slowly and thinks deeply and intently. The common advice with MP is to start the year, giving yourself 4 weeks to do 2 weeks. We did this, but by week 10 we had only finished 5 weeks. I decided at that point we had given the one year pace a fair shot. I bit the bullet and ordered the two year pace and suddenly we were on week 13! WHOOHOO! (I did keep the math to 1 year and he was on the second half of LC - he had started that the year before). That was by far one of the best decisions I have made. Even though "my" expectations were that he didn't need to spell states and caps, Greek goods, etc, it was important to HIM. The slower pace allowed him to be his little perfectionist self and do a really great job with minimal meltdown. I won't say he loved doing school, but just not fighting him every day was a win in my book.

I don't know that I have really answered your question, but I wanted to share my experiences because I have not wanted to do a "lower level" or slower pace and ended up needing to (and being much happier when I took what I thought was the "easier" route).

I will also like to note that my daughter (my oldest) used SC2 (with AAR), SC3 and SC4 (we moved to MP3M after SC4). My mother is a former middle school Catholic School Grammar teacher and I asked her if she would be interested in teaching my oldest. I proposed grammar and literature and she joyfully accepted! My daughter for grammar had only completed 1/2 of Latina Christina (we only completed 1/2!) and First Form Latin + English Grammar Recitation 1 (along with the Core skills books scheduled in SC, etc) and literature books through MP4 only and Fables. My mom commented that she was "very" well prepared for 6th grade and in fact completed both the 6th AND 7th grade programs in one year with my mom. She did only read two novels (Heidi and Twenty One Balloons), but she did 2 projects that involved reading other books. My point here is she "only" did the SC curriculum for most of her school years and she was very on track grade wise and is even now ahead.

Christine

(2022/2023)
                      DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
                      DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
                      DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
                      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
                      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
                      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

howiecram Thank you for sharing some of your story. There are many similarities between your experiences and where I am right now, much for me to think about.

My most pressing concern right now is what about AAS vs. SC Spelling 2? There are things I like about both of them. I really like the scripted approach with AAS because it will force me to do some of the phonics activities that my daughter really needs to solidify her understanding - such as segmenting words into phonemes, separating the syllables, solidifying those spelling rules, etc. However, even with that said, just last week she was incredibly frustrated because she couldn't write the word "cupcake." She knows how to spell it, but she kept writing "cupka..." and then realizing it was wrong. Her brain was switching the K and C, even though she knew better. I know she needs more phonics training, but phonics won't fix that problem.
                        Hah, I rabbit trailed there. The other thing I like about AAS is no tests. My daughter gets very anxious about the spelling tests, even though I try to keep them as low key as I can. And very little writing. Writing just doesn't help her learn, I am not entirely sure why but I think probably due to the dysgraphia. Maybe its an ADHD thing? I suspect it takes so much concentration for her to copy the letters and form them correctly and stay on the lines and look back and forth between the word list and her paper, she doesn't have anything left to be putting those letters into long-term storage. She also rarely recognizes when she has copied a word incorrectly.

I think she would take to SC Spelling 2 a LOT better than TS (any level), and if we did that, we would just go at her pace. If it gets done in less than a year, great, continue on to TS2, but if it takes the whole year, that's fine too. My only hesitation to using it is that I might not teach it correctly or emphasize the phonics enough. I am used to TS and the SC book just has so much less in it (no teacher's manual). I have read over the instructions in the front multiple times, and they seem easy enough, so maybe I just need the experience of actually doing the teaching.

For literature, it is true that it is her favorite subject, but that is because she loves to read. If it were up to her, she would blast through the books in a couple hours and forget the questions. I know the point of literature is to study the book, developing thinking skills and analyzing the story. I have been thinking about what Dianna said in the Your Family, Your Needs talk about doing half the books and going deep into the study questions and focusing on poetry, and perhaps we will do that (similar to your suggestion). That way I can move on to the next level of literature next year. Yes, I know grade level doesn't matter, and for the most part I agree with that, but when I need 4 different curriculum manuals to figure out the lessons, or have to entirely piece together my own curriculum manual because every subject is a different pace.... then I start thinking grade levels do matter. If my student begins to find the literature study questions too hard, I will revisit what level of literature we are studying at that point.

And I am planning to keep most of the non-skill subjects (especially science, Greek myths, and the MP 3 American history and read aloud books) as independent study. I will have her read the books and we might discuss them a little, and that will be that. I am looking at it as she loves reading and spends a lot of time reading anyway, this way I am providing many high quality books for her that will also be educational, as opposed to a lot of the books we get from the library. We finally got an iPad and she has been using it a lot over the summer to listen to audiobooks and read along in her book while she listens. She enjoys this and thinks it is fun. I love that she is willing to do that because she can see and hear the words at the same time. We will do that for any of these books that are easily accessible (from library or we may sign up for an audio subscription). I suppose if she doesn't enjoy leaving these subjects as reading-only, like your example with your son, then we will rethink the plan at that point.
                        DD8 - MP3 and SC 5/6
                        DD6 - MP1
                        DS4 - R&S preschool
                        DS baby

Comment

Ok, so here's my suggestion. Call and place your order, vice ordering on the website.

Buy the SC 5/6 TWO year pace "core". Sub R&S 2 for R&S3. (you will receive Digital download for the lesson plan, but honestly, it just says "do lesson x - so you can still use the R&S 3 plans. You might go through and put the correct lesson in the actual manual, in case quizzes or tests don't line up exactly. In the past, when my daughter was doing SC4, with R&S 3 math, I literally printed the plans and cut them out and glued them into the manual! I don't regret that one bit!

Go ahead and keep the TS2 for now. Order "on the side" the SC Spelling Book 2.

In the SC 5/6 there is a line called "Read Aloud or Extended Lit". There are two choices. Novels, or American History read aloud. Use the Read Aloud history books as you were intending from the MP3 manual. (they are a mix of MP2, 3 and 4 - but mostly 3 and 4). I bought my AM history books from rainbow resources. I actually bought two sets so that I could tag team read them, but it sounds like you won't need to do that. (I actually have 3 sets because I thought I might do it with two of my children, but never did. I will be doing it with my 3rd child for sure this year, not sure about adding my son as well)

Now you have everything, except maybe spelling and R&S grammar in the same manual (again the R&S grammar won't be hard at all to "replace").

Now, at the end of the year, you will have finished 1/4 of LC, 1/2 of Greek Myths, 1/2 of States and Caps, 1/2 Christian Studies, Farmer Boy and Paddington (Charlottes Web comes after Paddington in the two year pace). I do think you could potentially get through all 3, but I wouldn't necessarily try and make that my goal. You will also have finished 1/2 of mammals and 1/2 of the read alouds. Math, you'll have to decide if the one or 2 year pace is needed. There is very easily days to combine with the two year pace. When we did R&S 3, I found that we needed a lot more time on the 3s, 4s, 6s and 7s, so the two year pacing (it didn't exist back then) was perfect. We ended up being able to finish the book though because the 8s and 9s were much faster. (there are basically the same number of lessons for each fact and by the time you get to 8s, the only new fact is 8x8 and 8x9). (She also already knew the 1s, 2s and 5s)

So, again at the end of the year, you'll basically be in the same place as the homeschool 3rd grade core. You could then consider perhaps, MP4 instead (we were able to pick up the pace of the literature by then but I will tell you we have been a year behind you so my daughter was a 5th grader doing the MP4 core) or just continue on and finish the 5/6 out. Alternatively, you move through 5/6 in the pace that suits you (the two year plans will give more breathing room) and just take 3 years to do 5/6 and 7/8. By then, you've worked with her enough and she might be able to move over to a regular core OR, just finish the SC cores through 11/12.

Now another thought for your MP1 kiddo. Order the MP1 package, but skip the enrichment and Bible (keep the copybook). (easy to remove if you call in your oder). Instead, order the SC3 enrichment guide. These books are the same books scheduled in the SC 5/6 AM read aloud part. This way, your daughter could potentially read these books to your younger child and then the younger child could do SOME (don't try and do them all) of the enrichment activities. I was just thinking a way to combine there, if your older child is doing the Christian Studies 1, is that your younger could also listen in on the Bible story (the Bible used in 3-6 used to be used in K-3, just FYI), and do the copybook verses as her "writing time". She could try and answer "orally" of course the comprehension questions (pick 1 or 2 very easy ones) and then she would be "excused to do her copybook"). You and the older child would then finish the comprehension questions (orally, but I would still try and get a spiral notebook and write out a few sentences that you form together and she copies)).

In summary, I suggest calling in your order:

Order the SC 5/6 TWO year pace core (this gives you the two year pace guide)
                          Sub R&S 2 for R&S 3 (you will be given Digital download for the lesson plans)
                          Remove NAC 3 and sub in one of the Cursive Practice sheets instead. (perhaps these: https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...eets-book-two/

*don't forget to order, perhaps from rainbow or thrift books, etc the American History read aloud books

this child is done!

MP1 child -

Order the core, but ask to sub SC3 enrichment for the MP1 enrichment book, remove the actual Bible

R&S preschool child - did you know MP sells those books? They are part of the SCB core. I might suggest, actually, ordering the Preschool (or SCA) manual and just doing what you can in 20ish min at bedtime. My now 9 year old still has fond memories of that sweet time together and pointing out all the things "I" would never had noticed in the books!! This child can do the workbooks seated next to you while you work with the others. I might suggest in some of the coloring pages going through this summer and using a marker to outline the pictures.

I found teaching 2 to be very manageable. It was more challenging when I had to add the 3rd. However, in your case, by the time that 3rd comes around, your oldest will likely be more independent. Just focus on helping her set herself up for independence by working "at the elbow" with her now, over the next couple of years. You can transition from this "at the elbow" in stages. When you move from writing sentences together, you can begin by putting words she might have trouble spelling (or thinking of) on the board. You orally state the sentence and then she writes it. There isn't a whole sentence to copy, but a few words that may give her problems. The fact that she is already copying now will make this easier. I didn't realize what a skill it was copying from the board. Then, you move to circling a few easier questions for her to answer on her own and then orally finish the rest (or crafting a more difficult answer together, etc). This will happen over the next couple of years. Even at the MP model school, they are doing all this modeling until the mid 4th grade. So, the fact it is taking my kids until the mid 5th grade, makes sense for me anyway.

My youngest daughter, age 9.5 will be doing SC 5/6 alongside your 8 year old daughter!!
                          Christine

(2022/2023)
                          DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
                          DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)

Comment

P>S - came back to add that I received the brand new, updated SC 5/6 curriculum manual, and there are added spelling tips (contributions by Jen T.). (I had noticed them in the 11/12 manual and wondered if they would appear in the new manuals and there they are!
                            Christine

(2022/2023)
                            DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
                              P>S - came back to add that I received the brand new, updated SC 5/6 curriculum manual, and there are added spelling tips (contributions by Jen T.). (I had noticed them in the 11/12 manual and wondered if they would appear in the new manuals and there they are!
                              Oooooh! Okay, that makes it worth the purchase
                              DD8 - MP3 and SC 5/6
                              DD6 - MP1
                              DS4 - R&S preschool
                              DS baby

Comment

Working...
                              X