Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

MP with very little writing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP with very little writing?

I have a child that is putting good effort into her lessons and is doing well learning. However, she has an unusual digestive issue (that is being addressed) that makes meals take a very, very long time. She has to eat slowly. If I took a more CM approach to education by having her listen to material and narrate it back, without using workbooks or other writing, we could get done with school so much sooner. However, I am not sure how much she would really retain. I want to continue with MP, but I need to figure out how to get school done! The sad part is that she can do a lot of the work from MP on her own...if she had the time. This takes up my day, but I don't know what else I can do. If we rush her, she gets sick from eating "quickly". Then we are back to fighting to keep her weight and nutrition up. Since just getting food into her has been our biggest challenge, and she is finally eating, I think that I need to figure out how to help her get through school in spite of the long meals. She can't be sitting ALL day. She needs to get out and play outside or see friends at some point! Does anyone have advise??? What if your child broke their hand, how would you help them keep going with MP? Thank you!

Jessica,

There have been many times in our homeschooling journey where I have exclusively used the Teacher Guides for particular subjects, to facilitate discussion and cover particular vocabulary, etc. We have used the MP blank Composition books for drawing pictures after a reading or implementing some copywork. In many instances, I have seen more genuine comprehension from such exercises. My youngest children are both working on their endurance for writing and simply cannot fill out every question; we have done many of the literature guides orally and have them construct the answer while I write it on a white-board on the wall. We look at the sentence they "wrote" and talk about it. Could we use a stronger adjective? Did Mom use correct punctuation? (They love correcting the grown-up...)

We do much of our reading aloud at meal times (especially breakfast and lunch), too. Do you have a good guide to CM narration? If my recall is correct, your child is late elementary? (4th or 5th grade?) There's so much time left to up the academics, IMVHO. It can't hurt to try this approach and see how it goes, especially for more enrichment-based subjects.

If your "Mama Bear" instincts are telling you that the focus needs to be on proper eating and getting outside, then that's probably what this season is calling you to do. Hope that you find an approach that helps your family.

Laura
    Laura H.

2022-2023:
    DD: 17, special-needs: language processing issues, aspiring illustrator, our "Meg"
    DD: 14: aspiring pediatric nurse, our "Jo"
    DD: 9: our "Beth"
    DD: 9: our "Amy"
    We use MP Latin Resources, Literature guides, & Geography
    plus homeschool co-op

Comment

Laura gave some great tips and I know other families who have done the same when dealing with broken arms and such! My only other thought is: can she work a little while she eats? It might help her with pacing her eating and be a nice distraction from having to be at the table so much?
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
      DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
      DS15: MP, MPOA
      DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
      DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
      DD10: SC3
      DD7: MPK

Comment

I love Laura's idea of reading during meals. If you're busy helping her eat, you can opt for audio books. We did this often, if only to pass the time in a useful way while resting my voice. We all looked forward to hearing long chapters over lunchtime. Save some of her reading for evenings, as this can extend your day without overtaxing the hours dedicated to eating.

Jen's suggestion of working a little bit during mealtime is a great idea. My children needed frequent snacks and home-prepared meals, so it seemed we spent an inordinate amount of time at the table. We found laminated placements with the presidents, constellations, states, continents & oceans of the world, and even multiplication math facts. If she cannot actively write while eating, she can study the placemats. Maybe she could quiz you on the content to make the time pass more enjoyably.

Outside play, both restful and energetic, will help both of you take your minds off the current predicament. I agree with Laura. Do what is needful at this time. Oral uses of the Memoria Press Literature Guides abound, as do modified writing. Feel free to do this! I would not switch approaches entirely; just modify for now. You will still want her to write daily, but you can keep these writing sessions short. Allow her to answer questions from the Literature Guides orally.

Another idea: Consider pairing your desire for outdoors with your desire to keep her writing strong. My Nature Journal might be a useful tool this summer and fall. https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...ature-journal/. Observing and enjoying nature can take her mind off of the eating challenges in short outside sessions she might appreciate. She could do this independently if you give her nice colored pencils or a good set of drawing pencils, a magnifying glass, and a "scavenger hunt" list of nature items to find and record.

Comment

Ladies, thank you so much! This all sounds doable. I really, really did not want to switch curriculum. Thank you!!!

Comment

I don't know what her mealtimes look like, but if you have time while she is eating, you might consider doing any of the "mom-intensive" activities: flashcards, recitation, oral answers to questions, teaching the math or Latin lesson, etc.
            DD8 - MP3 and SC 5/6
            DD6 - MP1
            DS4 - R&S preschool
            DS baby

Comment

When my kids were younger and had a harder time consolidating time on task, I used to take them outside and have them ride bikes around me while answering flashcard and drill questions. In 2nd it was Prima Latina vocab and fact families. In Astronomy we'd review bright stars and their constellations. In Christian Studies we'd recite scripture memory verses, apostles and books of the Bible in order. For literature we'd recite poetry. You can get ahold of the Peterson Field Guides for birds and trees or insscts and start using your nature study time with an eye toward the MP elementary science track. We would bike to our nearest forested park and identify trees or watch for birds or collect bugs. Now that we're doing those sciences, my kids have a database of characteristics they've identified, and the task is neither new nor overwhelming. Many of us have had to adjust how we implement a beautiful MP education due to health issues. You are not alone. Keep fighting the good fight.
              Mama of 2, teacher of 3
              SY 22/23
              6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
              MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
              SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

Working...
              X