Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Modifying school work for vision issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modifying school work for vision issues

Thank you so much for this forum and for the MP materials, we have been enjoying them so much!

My 4th grader needs to rest his eyes this year for medical reasons, so reading to himself is very limited, I am going to start to read his work to him and he will do mostly everything orally for a while. But where should I start? This year has been mostly focusing on his recovery, so he hasnt done much school. He also has to do quite a lot of physical exercises that I will be doing with him - and I have two other younger children; at the moment, this feels a bit overwhelming time wise. I am wondering if I should save the books on his reading level (grade 3/4) for when he can read to himself again and go up to books that are above his level so he gets exposure to that language? How can I parse this down so he continues in his studies but I don't drown? He very much wants to take latin and loves the states and capitals books (he does that with his sister) and we have been doing grade three history since he has been able too. For math he uses Math U See... and that is all we have been able to do this year, but he is ready for more! Yay!!!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance,
    Sincerely,
    Lindsay

Family of three kiddos: 10, 8, 3
    currently using MP second grade materials and simply classical level three enrichment

Hi, Lindsay. Could you give us a little more information? For example, if you don't mind, what are his medical conditions? Did the doctor give you specific time parameters for closework each day? I'm wondering specifically what his maximum-allowed hours of closework could be each day.

We would want him to read a little bit each day at his level. His own reading and math should continue daily to the extent allowed by his treating physician. If you can add a copy book for penmanship, consider these as his close-work priorities:

- Reading aloud to you in short daily sessions(so he can continue to build oral reading fluency and so you can catch any errors,
    - Working through his math lessons to give him continuity and allow him to stay strong in math.
    - Copybook or penmanship, 10min/day, if possible for the visual-motor benefits if his doctor approves of this.
    - States & Capitals book, as the font is a nice size and pages are easy on the eyes.

Due to his vision restrictions, these lessons will be brief by necessity, so this will allow you to teach additional material orally:

- Latin
    Provide the large wall charts to assist visual memory without straining his eyes. Otherwise teach this aurally with a heavy emphasis on reciting grammar forms & vocab

- SC 3 Enrichment
    Spend a few days each week learning history, science, art, and music together in the combined SC 3 set to save time and spare eyestrain. Much will be oral. Obtain the Poster versions of the Art Cards to enlarge the images. You can conduct most of the American history read-alouds, science, and music as "listening lessons."

- Literatiure
    I like your idea of saving the books he should read himself. At the pacing above, he may cover only 2 of the assigned books. Save the rest for his Lit lessons when he is able to read them. To add literature to his day, combine everyone in the Read-Alouds for the highest MP or SC your two oldest can appreciate.

- Exercises
    These will become automatic over time. Map out a plan and time them. See how much time this will take. If your 3-year-old rests after lunch, this might be a good time.

- Enlist all 3 to help you with chores if they're not already doing so. This medical condition can be a good time to let everyone "step up" a bit!

Feel free to follow up if I missed anything!

Comment

Thank you for responding so thoughfully!!

He had brain surgery in November and he has recovered very well so far.
      He has the lingering issues of vision problems, balance and coordination and attention/focus. But if you ran into to him out and about you wouldnt really notice those things : )

As for the restrictions, I was directed to only allow him to read very large print and in short intervals, 15-20 max. Regular print is considered small. I printed some books from gutenburg because they come out on full sheets of paper and bound them, also the The Good and the Beautiful has quite large print for level 2 books and some level 3 books that I had already purchased for my daughter that he reads, but that is a bit below his level - but he didnt mind. Even with the breaks, his eyes get so tired. I think maybe two -possibly three if spread out enough- 15-20 minute sessions plus when he is doing math and the capitols book is all he can handle right now.

Great idea with the wall charts! I only have prima latina, I bought it last summer thinking the two could do it together but we havent cracked it open yet due to this odd year. Do you think prima latina would be too young for him now? Should I just do Cristiana with both of them? Although it feels like it was a non-school year for him, so maybe it would be right where he is at.

Thank you also for the practical tips as well,
      I really appreciate it,
      Lindsay

Comment

I just want to add, I can't completely rely on the reading time estimates, those are on a good day. Today he could only do math and fill in his state and capitols, his eyes were just having a bad day.

Comment

We want to follow the doctor's orders, so proceed gently.

His own reading of a large print edition of his current MP/SC Lit selection could occur on his better days. Consider this: Alternate passages as he looks 20' away (or closes his eyes, or whatever the dr recommends) during your portion. You can continue reading on the other days. In this way you can follow the Lit Guide to teach vocabulary, literary themes, and all of the richness of the guides without overtaking his eyes.

For Latin, choose Prima Latina this year. The font is larger for both reading and writing. You will study only 5 words per week. You can all review via the Prima Latina audio to practice pronunciation and learn together while resting his eyes.

You may find that he becomes a better listener and increases his attention span this year!

Comment

Working...
          X