Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Level 11/12 & R&S Eng 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabrina
    replied
    I am tutoring right now, and I just had a 9th grader ask me what I meant by "proper noun". This is why we use R&S. That and my kids always joke about how they know how to answer a rotary-dial telephone properly. (I just realized this may be misconstrued - I only meant that the pictures in the text are older, and we have observed that telephone manners on cell phones do not exactly match those taught in the book.)
    Last edited by Sabrina; 05-04-2022, 03:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Emily L
    replied
    Oooo, R&S grammar plans... My disinclination for anything not already planned out is the ONLY reason we aren't using R&S English which I LOVE. This muddies the waters a little for me!! I guess I will just have to deal with the blessing of having options.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    cherylswope - I was checking my downloads to see the progress to answer Sabrina and I discovered that: My literature for 5&6 and 7&8 actually only have the literature (despite the plans being called literature, grammar and composition). My 9&10 digital plans still have EGR, so I'm guessing they are quickly working on them!

My SC4 enrichment plans have the new Patterns of Nature and the Sc4 Literature/Comp/Grammar actually only contain the literature (despite the name on the download!).
    Last edited by howiecram; 05-04-2022, 01:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sabrina
    replied
    Thank you, Cheryl. I was just planning to schedule most of these resources myself, since we do not quite fit into MP7 for the upcoming year. You have done it for me! I love EGR as a complement to our Latin studies, but I want one full year of R&S before high school. Your Simply Classical has served as a bridge between Core levels for many years, Thank you for your dedication to this.

One more question - At what point will the digital plans reflect these changes?

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied
    That is a good tip on the digital plans. Thanks for this.

Excellent point about the previous grammar studies!

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    Originally posted by cherylswope View Post
    Sabrina! Good to hear from you. Look for all of those matching lesson plans to appear in time for the annual MP conference July 11-12, if not well before. I hope to see you there!

howiecram, thank you! Good sleuthing, as always. Thanks for the concise assessment. Re Mammals, we found that the vocabulary in Mammals outpaced our SC 4 students' linguistic abilities. Patterns of Nature is a much more gentle intro to natural science, so it became a good fit for SC 4. By SC 5&6, students are ready for Mammals, as you noted.

I found myself recommending many of the additions or substitutions again and again. Example: I often suggested SC Writing Bible for those who did not want to purchase 34 weeks of additional books for SC Writing Read-Aloud. I had been gathering requests for years and promised myself that as soon as SC 11&12 was complete, we would make the various adjustments formally. Cheryl in CA receives credit for noting the need for a more complete coverage of grammar in Levels 4-12; thus the substitution of R&S English to provide sequential practice for mastery. Anne, a longtime SC user (but not on the forum), receives credit for teaching every upper level newly released and sending me notes along the way.

All was a team effort with Tanya, Jessica O, and Dayna. Now Lukas is updating the web pages. Lesson plans and samples will soon catch up with our hard work.

As a bonus, we also met my additional goal of reducing costs for families! Everything should be ready to view in person at Sodalitas, but ordering can begin immediately.
    I really appreciate the addition of the R&S Grammar now included in the plans. I do plan to follow the "new" SC 5&6 plans for my younger daughter. However, I wanted to share that for anyone nervous about having "just used the EGR + Core Skills combo" to not worry about it. My older daughter is taking a very rigorous grammar course with my mom (a middle school grammar teacher). My daughter, a 6th grader, had "only" completed the grammar series as scheduled in from SC2-SC4. She did 1/2 of EGR for her 4th grade year, then I signed her up in 5th grade for MPOA CC Fables (which now includes the EGR) and she did really well in the class. At the end of her 5th grade year she "only" completed First Form Latin, EGR 1 and Core Skills 5. My mom commented, after several weeks of her 6th grade year, how well prepare my daughter was for 6th grade English!! I share that to still praise the "early" editions of Simply Classical!

My only concern with a "whole" Simply Classical core right now is my son not fitting exactly in a "box". I started the year with him doing the two year SC 7& 8 Literature/Composition plans. The literature plans worked very well, but he just was not grasping the R&S 4 (even at the 2 year pace). We stopped after about 12 weeks of giving it a try. He now seems ready for the R&S 4 (hindsight he should have done the R&S3) English, but the digital plans have the literature and the "composition/grammar" together. At this stage we need the 2 year pace (year 8) for Literature and the 1 year pace for grammar. I understand why you pair them together in the digital plans, but I'm wondering if there aren't other people like me who need separate literature/grammar plans? This past year would have been another example where the grammar would have been from sC 5&6 but the literature was from 7&8.

I'm excited that "I" still get to benefit from the changes as I see my younger daughter completing the entire series.

Leave a comment:

• cherylswope
    replied
    Sabrina! Good to hear from you. Look for all of those matching lesson plans to appear in time for the annual MP conference July 11-12, if not well before. I hope to see you there!

howiecram, thank you! Good sleuthing, as always. Thanks for the concise assessment. Re Mammals, we found that the vocabulary in Mammals outpaced our SC 4 students' linguistic abilities. Patterns of Nature is a much more gentle intro to natural science, so it became a good fit for SC 4. By SC 5&6, students are ready for Mammals, as you noted.

I found myself recommending many of the additions or substitutions again and again. Example: I often suggested SC Writing Bible for those who did not want to purchase 34 weeks of additional books for SC Writing Read-Aloud. I had been gathering requests for years and promised myself that as soon as SC 11&12 was complete, we would make the various adjustments formally. Cheryl in CA receives credit for noting the need for a more complete coverage of grammar in Levels 4-12; thus the substitution of R&S English to provide sequential practice for mastery. Anne, a longtime SC user (but not on the forum), receives credit for teaching every upper level newly released and sending me notes along the way.

All was a team effort with Tanya, Jessica O, and Dayna. Now Lukas is updating the web pages. Lesson plans and samples will soon catch up with our hard work.

As a bonus, we also met my additional goal of reducing costs for families! Everything should be ready to view in person at Sodalitas, but ordering can begin immediately.

Leave a comment:

• Sabrina
    replied
    Thank you, Christine.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    For anyone else peering into this post, the SC webpage has some nice updates. Many students need only a portion of an SC core and now now if you click on a core, you can scroll down to the materials list and it is broken down by subject so you know exactly which books to buy for which subjects. A few materials that were scheduled in the 8 week review have been removed from the core price and listed as supplemental and when they are used (the 8 week review). It makes it very clear exactly what you need (and may not need).

R&S Grammar is now scheduled in all SC cores, beginning with SC 4, R&S Grammar 2, instead of Core Skills and EGR (though they are listed as supplemental/optional). Patterns of Nature is now included in the SC4 core and Mammals was moved from SC4 to the SC 5&6 core. (R&S Science 3 was removed). Intro to Comp (previously scheduled in SC 5& 6 is now listed as supplemental).

I personally have some mixed feeling about the placement of Mammals. My older daughter needed the "challenge" of Mammals in SC4 and it was well suited for her, but I was struggling with SC 5&6 for my younger daughter because I felt like she needed the R&S 3 English and Mammals, so this is a nice change for her! (and I LOVE having it all in one guide!)

Bravo Cheryl!!

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    Cheryl posted on the FB page that the SC cores were "updated" a little bit. SC does now include R&S English beginning with SC4 (R&S2). It has replaced the EGR books + Core Skills. (though they are listed as possible supplements). I think they just started making the changes so I'm guessing not all the cores booklist/sample pages have been updated on the website yet. (I noticed SC 5&6 does have the sample pages). I e-mailed yesterday to obtain the new SC 5&6 and customer service said they were still a few weeks away from the guides being completed.

Leave a comment:

• Sabrina
    started a topic Level 11/12 & R&S Eng 6

Level 11/12 & R&S Eng 6

Hello. Is the R&S 6 book scheduled in the one-year plans for level 11/12? I see it in the core requirements, and in the photo, but it is not listed on the materials page within the manual. I did not notice this previously, so I am wondering if this was a change. Thank you.
Working...
X