Announcement

Collapse

Disclaimer - Read This First

Disclaimer

This website contains general information about medical and educational conditions and treatments. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such.

The educational and medical information on this website is provided “as is” without any representations or warranties, express or implied. Cheryl Swope, M.Ed. and Memoria Press make no representations or warranties in relation to the information on this website.

You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or individualized advice from any other professional healthcare or educational provider. If you think you or your child may be suffering from any medical condition you should seek immediate medical attention.

You should never delay seeking medical or educational advice, disregard medical or educational advice, or discontinue medical or educational treatment because of any information on this website.
See more
See less

Placement Help for 6 Year Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placement Help for 6 Year Old

Hi all, I've been reading through a lot of posts, but I'm still not sure where to start with my 6 year old (she just turned 6 at the beginning of April). I just recently came across Simply Classical, and I think it could be a great fit for her.

For some background, she has been with us since she was two weeks old, was drug exposed in utero, and has sensory processing disorder and she's autistic. She's very bright, and has caught up in a lot of ways to where she should be at 6, but she struggles with her attention span and working memory. She is also still behind in both gross and fine motor, and she is pretty severely lacking in self-help skills (for example, she still isn't potty trained) but is continuously improving with help from ABA and OT.

I'm currently doing a preschool program from another company (not sure if we're allowed to mention other brands here) with both my 6 year old and my 4 year old (who will be 5 in July). I was originally going to do Kindergarten with them both in the fall, but now I'm rethinking that. The 6 year old is steadily falling behind the 4 year old - Miss 4 is catching on so well to the letters and their sounds, and actually tries to help her older sister when she has trouble. The problem is that Miss 6 is getting so discouraged feeling like she's being passed up by her baby sister. I really want to build up her confidence, so we decided that I'll go ahead with Kinder with Miss 6, and keep Miss 4 in kind of a "junior kindergarten" situation for another year. I like the idea of postponing kindergarten until she's 6, anyway. We put my oldest (now 7) into kindergarten early, and it was a huge mistake. But I digress.

I did the placement tests, and Miss 6 checks every "yes" box on the Level 1 test EXCEPT for knowing her letters. She knows the ABC song and understands the concept that letters make sounds, but she has a really hard time remembering which letters are which. She makes several guesses before getting it right, or she gets so frustrated she stops trying. I'm worried if we start her in C, she'll be bored, but I don't want to start 1 if she's not ready. Do we continue drilling the letters and sounds between now and our August start date and then jump into level 1?

Sorry for the novel, and thanks in advance for any help!

I would recommend Level C. Level C was designed almost specifically for your case (meaning children with autism who might be more advanced in some ways, but lack some skills). There is a lot of overlap with the Jr. K program. Level C is a combination of JR. K and K. In level C, you use some of the math books from K, the "science" book from k and you do begin First Start Reading in the second part of the year. FSR is intended to be redone in SC1, but you could evaluate it at the end of C and see how she progresses. I think you are good in acknowledging that the girls need their own materials so as not to compare. However, you could do the read aloud, poetry, crafts, etc from SC-C with both girls, and keep the academic portions individually. (So I might obtain the JRK manual just for the phonics/math portion for your younger daughter. SC-C was written for 4 days, JR K has a 2 day and a 5 day option. When I did SC-C with my middle child, it was just what we needed (the 5 day JR K option wasn't available). He couldn't handle only doing school 2 days, because it was a fight to do it the 2 days (it seemed too inconsisent). I found the 4 day structure kept the "fighting" to a minimum. On the flip side, I loved SC-C so much I had hoped to do with my younger daughter but it wasn't a good fit for just the reasons I described in how SC-C is designed. (some of it was just a little too advanced) The two day Jr K worked better for her.

Cheryl may have a different opinion of course and I would go with her recommendations, but after having completed the program myself, your daughter seems like the perfect "candidate" for SC-C.
    Christine

(2022/2023)
    DD1 8/23/09 -Mix of MP 6/7
    DS2 9/1/11 - Mix of SC 7/8 and SC 9/10 (R&S 5, FFL)
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC 5/6

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, Mix of MP3/4, Mix MP5/6
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, AAR/Storytime Treasures), CLE Math, Mix of MP3/4, MP5 (literature mix of SC 7/8/MP5)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1, MP2

Comment

Agreeing wholeheartedly with howiecram! Your daughter will not be bored because we do so much more than review letters. We teach animal studies, read stories, and complete crafts. Each lesson works on oral language, memory, and attention while linking lessons to a featured letter/sound. If all goes as planned, by the end of SC C she will begin reading real words and sentences.
      Last edited by cherylswope; 04-27-2022, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Thank you both so much for your help! I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to respond. We’ll definitely be taking your advice and starting her on Level C in the fall!

Comment

Working...
        X